UMass Guard (Former WKU Hilltopper) Derrick Gordon: "I'm Gay"

UKMustangFan

I'm sorry, but I don't even want to see that from a man/woman couple.

Right, most people don't. The difference is, if it's a male athlete and a chick not a second thought is given to it. If it were two guys and one was an athlete, it's front page news.

MKG's comments about his friend coming out. “Derrick was a great teammate and is an even better friend. I admire his courage and willingness to share his story. Just as we supported each other on the court, I am proud to support him now. He is a basketball player, a teammate and a friend, and that’s all that matters.”

Key words in this post...."shouldn't be an issue". I agree with that and I too will be glad when this isn't breaking news. However, there are only so many openly gay male athletes in the history of sports and I am thinking we can count those openly gay male athletes on two hands. Maybe three. If gay male athletes felt like it was no big deal then their homosexuality would be treated as no big deal. I think we all know the gay male athlete is still in the huge deal phase no matter how much some of us may think it isn't a big deal.

Our society hasn't progressed to that point yet.

I agree to a point but has their been any outrage against a homosexual athlete? Missouri's entire team kept it quiet for 6 or 7 months, if it was an issue someone would have leaked it. I'll bet there were team mates and coaches of Gordon that knew and didn't "Out him" because it's not that big of a deal anymore.

I'm glad it is becoming less of an issue and will be glad when these types of announcements don't have to be made because no one cares what someones sexual orientation is.

I agree to a point but has their been any outrage against a homosexual athlete? Missouri's entire team kept it quiet for 6 or 7 months, if it was an issue someone would have leaked it. I'll bet there were team mates and coaches of Gordon that knew and didn't "Out him" because it's not that big of a deal anymore.

I'm glad it is becoming less of an issue and will be glad when these types of announcements don't have to be made because no one cares what someones sexual orientation is.

Right-wing Republicans( i.e, Santorum) seem to care about those things. Or at least that's what many proclaim. In fact, many of 'em think it's a real abomination. But that's for a different forum. So, yes, millions care, unfortunately.