UMass Guard (Former WKU Hilltopper) Derrick Gordon: "I'm Gay"

UKMustangFan

Good for him. I hope he doesn't suffer as a result of coming out of the closet.

Yeah I hope he doesnt trip over the other thousands who came out too. I also hope he gets he well deserved 10 min of fame since its so important for America to know that he is now gay. Hopefully I can sleep well tonight now that I know this.

I'll be glad when this isn't breaking news or a landmark announcement... at this point gay or straight shouldn't be an issue. Only issue should be can he play?

True. I expect before long it won't be that big of an issue. When several more of these athletes start to come out, then the flood gates will open. I would say some of the names will surprise.

I'll be glad when this isn't breaking news or a landmark announcement... at this point gay or straight shouldn't be an issue. Only issue should be can he play?

Key words in this post...."shouldn't be an issue". I agree with that and I too will be glad when this isn't breaking news. However, there are only so many openly gay male athletes in the history of sports and I am thinking we can count those openly gay male athletes on two hands. Maybe three. If gay male athletes felt like it was no big deal then their homosexuality would be treated as no big deal. I think we all know the gay male athlete is still in the huge deal phase no matter how much some of us may think it isn't a big deal.

Our society hasn't progressed to that point yet.

I know it's probably hard for some to deal with but the fact is there are gay people across the entire spectrum... doctors,lawyers and teachers, preachers, and yes , even basketball, football, and hockey players. I look for a wave of pro athletes to start coming out. I say embrace who you are, and if that is a gay football or basketball player, so be it.

Key words in this post...."shouldn't be an issue". I agree with that and I too will be glad when this isn't breaking news. However, there are only so many openly gay male athletes in the history of sports and I am thinking we can count those openly gay male athletes on two hands. Maybe three. If gay male athletes felt like it was no big deal then their homosexuality would be treated as no big deal. I think we all know the gay male athlete is still in the huge deal phase no matter how much some of us may think it isn't a big deal.

Our society hasn't progressed to that point yet.

Agreed.

When we get to the point that a "closeted" gay athlete can be seen in public displaying affection to his/her partner without it becoming front-page news, it'll no longer be an issue. As you said, society isn't there yet.

Agreed.

When we get to the point that a "closeted" gay athlete can be seen in public displaying affection to his/her partner without it becoming front-page news, it'll no longer be an issue. As you said, society isn't there yet.

I'm sorry, but I don't even want to see that from a man/woman couple.