SO.....What was the "tweak" ?

oldrambler

Before this tournament run started Cal said that he "tweaked" a couple of things to improve play. What was the "Tweak" ? Has anyone noticed a difference in style of play, strategy, etc. ? Did Cal just make that statement to mess with opposing coaches heads, trying to look for something different that never existed....was it something to get the press / media talking, speculating or maybe even something to get in is own players heads ?

Aside from the obvious much improved play....passing, playing team ball, 3 pt. shooting I haven't noticed any huge changes in defenses, offense ran or something like that. That brings up the question of Was There A Tweak ? I have noticed that Cal hasn't been "on" his players as much as he had been. Could he had just told them something like "you know what to do and it's up to you to get it done" ?

Edited by oldrambler

The Tweakables.

I think the tweak has been freeing up Randle more. Yesterday Cal said he's doing less but looks like he's doing more. Also the Andrew Harrison pass rule sounds plausible as well

I think the main thing is he gave some slack on the Harrison's leash and allowed them to play with more freedom. Instead of forcing them to play certain ways and overloading them with stuff he has simplified the game for them and in essence everyone else. More less he has simply defined roles for the players and they are finally starting to play as a team. Instead of everyone trying to do everything themselves he has pushed them to a point to where they are just playing and not thinking.

System wise he has initiated a lot more ball screens, dribble hand offs and high post stuff (especially for Randle). He is getting the ball to Randle in a place where it's one on one and if the double team does come it is in a spot he can find the open man instead of being mugged with no place to go. It also puts Randle in a position to take his man off the bounce, again if the double comes he can kick or find someone cutting the goal.

Cal was asked this on his show on Monday. He said he will either talk about it after the season or he may add it to the end of his new book.

Honestly I think other than maybe simplifying the offense a bit nothing was really changed. It just all finally sunk in.