Fruit of the Loom to Close Last Plant in Kentucky

Jamestown facility set to shutter by the end of 2014

Fruit of the Loom was once a manufacturing giant in Kentucky, employing over 11,000 workers.

Now its last plant in the Commonwealth is set to close.

I posted this in the politics forum because that's the direction this will go in, but I don't do it to make any political point myself. It's the end of an era in the Commonwealth with the last of what was once eight or nine manufacturing facilities set to close its doors forever.

Jamestown facility set to shutter by the end of 2014

Fruit of the Loom was once a manufacturing giant in Kentucky, employing over 11,000 workers.

Now its last plant in the Commonwealth is set to close.

I posted this in the politics forum because that's the direction this will go in, but I don't do it to make any political point myself. It's the end of an era in the Commonwealth with the last of what was once eight or nine manufacturing facilities set to close its doors forever.

Wow....that really sucks for Jamestown, in particular. Jumper_Dad would likely know better than I, but I believe this is essentially the only major non-tourism based employment source in the city.

Thought I'd read/seen something on the negative impacts/business practices at Wal-Mart were forcing these companies to close manufacturing and move the jobs to mexico/china. Honduras? really. Make it in the US and I'll buy it. Shouldn't we all make a concerted effort, where possible, to purchase items made in the US?

Thought I'd read/seen something on the negative impacts/business practices at Wal-Mart were forcing these companies to close manufacturing and move the jobs to mexico/china. Honduras? really. Make it in the US and I'll buy it. Shouldn't we all make a concerted effort, where possible, to purchase items made in the US?

We should. But we don't. And (for the most part) we won't. I believe things like "buying only US made" are things that people think are a great idea, but almost always in practice they think it's a great idea for other people - they stick to the cheapest option.

We should. But we don't. And (for the most part) we won't. I believe things like "buying only US made" are things that people think are a great idea, but almost always in practice they think it's a great idea for other people - they stick to the cheapest option.

I buy local whenever I can. I think it's great to do and I like to support those businesses, but it's not only impossible sometimes but inadvisable. I'm a pretty ardent free trade supporter, way more than most people I know and -- I assume -- way more than most people on these forums. But there are serious consequences in the short term.

This particular plant I believe had only military contracts, so it was already impossible to buy Fruit of the Loom commercial products that were made in the United States.

The vast majority of US textiles are now produced elsewhere. To quote Bruce Springsteen, "Them jobs are going boy and they ain't coming back."

And unfortunately for those looking to politicize the job losses, WAY more jobs have been lost to productivity increases via technological innovations than to globalization. There's definitely no reversing that trend, even as some of the departed jobs that moved overseas have started coming back the other way.

We always try to buy from the mom and pop shops vs. the big boxes whenever possible. It feels right. It does cost a little more but its a trade off I'm willing to make.

Biggest employer in that county and at one time was one of the biggest in the region. People who hit their production quotas well actually surpassed them made pretty decent money for the job that it was. People at one point were driving 60-75 miles one way to work there, this is anoth big blow to that region.

The vast majority of US textiles are now produced elsewhere. To quote Bruce Springsteen, "Them jobs are going boy and they ain't coming back."

When it comes to clothing, about the only thing still made in the US are the most expensive lines.

I bought a pair of dress shoes from a store in Louisville the specializes in getting ahold of shoes where that model has been discontinued or maybe a stitch is off and the factory sells them for clearance, etc.. I bought a pair of Allen Edmonds. When I got home I went online to see what they would cost retail, they were online for $395 (wow) and the online ad even mentioned that Allen Edmonds are the last dress shoe maker still located in the US (Wisc. I believe). I will admit, after ten years of pretty heavy wear, the shoes are still in far better shape than the shoes that have been worn much less.

When it comes to slacks and suits, Hartz Schaffner Marx and its related brands and the only dress clothes I can think of still made in the US. A guy in New Albany Indiana sells Harts Schaffner Marx. Again, a suit I have had for over a decade and wear anytime I need a suit and it still looks great.