Grant Hill Says People Hate Duke Because "we've had a lot of good white players"

lawildcat

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there's something to be said for that. You don't hate the guy that beats you because he's a great looking player. You hate the guy that's out there making shots, playing great defense and trash talking all while looking like the water boy.

I never hated UK because of guys like Mashburn, Mercer, or Delk. I hated UK because of guys like Patrick Sparks.

To reverse that toward my own team, the second Luke Hancock had his first really good game as a Cardinal last year, I thought "If I was an opposing fan, ALL my hate would be directed at Luke Hancock." He does all the things that would drive me NUTS in an opposing player.

I'm not all that close to the college basketball scene. But if I had to guess, I'd say it's a combination of things. Coach K's constant visibility and presence. The notion that while "everybody cheats", Duke hasn't been caught in any substantial way. The fact that they have a perennially successful program while at the same time being a flagship academic institution - you're not supposed to be able to do that.

Successful white players would be down the list a ways.

I'm not all that close to the college basketball scene. But if I had to guess, I'd say it's a combination of things. Coach K's constant visibility and presence. The notion that while "everybody cheats", Duke hasn't been caught in any substantial way. The fact that they have a perennially successful program while at the same time being a flagship academic institution - you're not supposed to be able to do that.

Successful white players would be down the list a ways.

Duke has been caught, just not punished.

Will Coach K, Duke skate again? Yes, unless the heat stays on Blue Devils - NCAA Division I Mens Basketball - CBSSports.com

Maggette Admits To Taking Payments - CBS News

Did Duke Get Another Free Pass on Lance Thomas?

Things like this are among the reasons I dislike Duke. They are the Teflon John Gotti of the NCAA. Nothing ever sticks.

I think that's one of the reasons that lots of people like Duke. Grant Hill comes off as a smart guy, but I think this comment isn't one of his better moments.

People dislike them for reasons like Colonel Crazy has stated (caught and not punished), Coach K's visibility (and the perception that he's fake), their getting all the calls, and their player's just being annoying in general (flopping, floor smacking, baiting the refs).

Here's what I mean about getting calls:

Edited by JokersWild24
Added Video