March 18, 201412 yr ^ I think sometimes you just have to life with that when you're starting a freshman point guard. Hopefully he learned the mistake in a game that didn't matter at all and hopefully he doesn't make the same mistake in a more crucial game in the upcoming weeks.
March 18, 201412 yr Announcers seemed to think Harrison played it exactly how Cal wanted it done and that was my impression also, has anyone seen a replay? Was Cal urging him to start the play? Nevermind, found a video and it looks like he was doing exactly what he was told to do.
March 18, 201412 yr No one has brought it up, but its not a coincidence (at least in my mind) that Young slipped exactly where UK huddles during timeouts. Surprised something like this doesn't happen more often.
March 18, 201412 yr The quicker they could have gotten the shot up the better. Put the dang ball in the air and allow your bigs to crash the boards for a put back. Andrew started the play way too late. Should have given themselves enough time to grab a rebound or tip it in. Or if missed they would have still had enough time to foul, put Florida on the line, and still have a remote chance for a last second shot. Someone asked Rupp once why did his player take a shot as early as he did when they were in the last seconds of a game. The player had made the shot to put the Cats in front, and they won. His answer was that when his team was trailing a game with not much time left his team couldn't shoot it soon enough to please him. I suppose he was thinking that sometimes you also have to put some faith in your kids to get a rebound and and give his team a second shot. Makes sense. The way UK did it vs Florida, dribbling away 9 seconds of the remaining 14, they never allowed themselves any room for error. It was one shot and out, and in this case they never even got the shot. I agree. When you are behind, you go to work and get a basket. I don't like holding the ball when behind. If it were a tie game, I am ok with how UK played it although I still think the play should have started a little earlier.
March 18, 201412 yr Timeout should not have been called. Cal never calls a TO. He states it disrupts the flow. I think that was the issue between him and Orlando. Harrison would have driven the basket and the rest would have crashed the boards.
March 18, 201412 yr Timeout should not have been called. Cal never calls a TO. He states it disrupts the flow. I think that was the issue between him and Orlando. Harrison would have driven the basket and the rest would have crashed the boards. I noticed this during the game and wondered what that was all about.
March 18, 201412 yr The quicker they could have gotten the shot up the better. Put the dang ball in the air and allow your bigs to crash the boards for a put back. Andrew started the play way too late. Should have given themselves enough time to grab a rebound or tip it in. Or if missed they would have still had enough time to foul, put Florida on the line, and still have a remote chance for a last second shot. Someone asked Rupp once why did his player take a shot as early as he did when they were in the last seconds of a game. The player had made the shot to put the Cats in front, and they won. His answer was that when his team was trailing a game with not much time left his team couldn't shoot it soon enough to please him. I suppose he was thinking that sometimes you also have to put some faith in your kids to get a rebound and and give his team a second shot. Makes sense. The way UK did it vs Florida, dribbling away 9 seconds of the remaining 14, they never allowed themselves any room for error. It was one shot and out, and in this case they never even got the shot. Yep.
March 19, 201412 yr It sure looked like Aaron was wide open on the last play too. I'd rather him shoot it anyway. I agree the TO shuoldn't have been called and the play started way to late. They grew up and gave us hope though.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.