Game Cancellations 2/14/14

What team do you support? I'm sure you are aware there are 3 other teams (CCH, NCC, and Holmes) playing in this event tonight. Why single out KCSD for allowing the games to go on when the other three are as well?

Thats..... a very good point! Forgive my ignorance but are the other 3 Boone County? And how close are these 4 schools to the arena in relation to miles? Maybe thats another factor in playing the games. The roads may not be "that bad" in the city so travel may not be as difficult as in rual areas. Just a thought......

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What team do you support? I'm sure you are aware there are 3 other teams (CCH, NCC, and Holmes) playing in this event tonight. Why single out KCSD for allowing the games to go on when the other three are as well?

Not trying to speak for Danny, but this is an easy one.

Early today KC BOE cancelled all activities for tonight with the exception of the Dixie game. Cancelled practices, games, high school plays, academic meetings, etc... Forced cancellation of the basketball games for the other two high schools in their district.

Later in the afternoon NCC and CCH joined in on the hypocrisy by dismissing early and cancelling evening activities also with the exception of the games at BOK. The only school that did not react with closure that I have seen is Holmes (Covington Independent).

Thats..... a very good point! Forgive my ignorance but are the other 3 Boone County? And how close are these 4 schools to the arena in relation to miles? Maybe thats another factor in playing the games. The roads may not be "that bad" in the city so travel may not be as difficult as in rual areas. Just a thought......

NCC is in Campbell County but not under the Campbell County School Board as they are private and part of the Diocese of Covington. They are roughly 5.5 miles away from NKU.

Covington Catholic is in Kenton County and also private and part of the Diocese of Covington. They are roughly 10 miles from NKU.

Holmes is a part of Covington Independent Public Schools. They are 6-8 miles from NKU depending on route.

Dixie is roughly 9.5 from NKU.

Early today KC BOE cancelled all activities for tonight with the exception of the Dixie game. Cancelled practices, games, high school plays, academic meetings, etc... Forced cancellation of the basketball games for the other two high schools in their district.

Later in the afternoon NCC and CCH joined in on the hypocrisy by dismissing early and cancelling evening activities also with the exception of the games at BOK. The only school that did not react with closure that I have seen is Holmes (Covington Independent).

The point I was trying to make is that NCC, CCH, and Holmes are allowing this game to go on as well but there is not much disdain for their decision.

I can understand the frustration of the other KCSD events being cancelled but not this one but this is not a similar event to those. This involves a contract and pre-paid tickets which is not the case for the other games. I for one don't know why anything is cancelled yet as I haven't seen snow. :idunno:

From what I read a few days ago, I thought Mason County was the only one that played games when school was out.

While I think both contests will be great and I don't begrudge anybody the right to make some money, I am uncomfortable with the message being sent here. On one hand, it's okay to close school early due to poor weather -- and as of now, the weather is indeed poor. On the other hand, not only will the games go on but at least one school has taken advantage of the early close to get the team to BOKC ahead of schedule. Oh, well, I guess this is the world in which we live. Be careful out there, everyone.

It has nothing to do with who I support,,,,,What three teams from NKY are always dropping out of the big shows around the state, Dixie,Scott,Simon Kenton which are under the Kenton county board of education,if a flake of snow falls the board says NO GO....

It has nothing to do with who I support' date=',,,,What three teams from NKY are always dropping out of the big shows around the state, Dixie,Scott,Simon Kenton which are under the Kenton county board of education,if a flake of snow falls the board says NO GO....[/quote']

Always dropping out?

I remember Scott and Dixie missing one game of a tournament...

Well those four school in weather that wasn't the best and on Valentine night no less, brought in roughly 5,500 fans or a bit more or less and those fans seemed to enjoy their night out!

BTW I believe CovCath and NCC students got out one whole hour early today, as it wasn't like they missed an entire day or only went to school a half a day or less!