Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Compromise article from the CJ

Featured Replies

At yesterday's meeting, a private-school person asked, basically, what happens if a father loses his job and the son who has gone to private schooln for eight years must suddenly switch to public school for the ninth grade because the family can no longer afford tuition? Tough luck, essentially, was the reply from the other side: The kid sits.

(Though I should point that the fellow who said that would not be the final

authority.)

It's statements like this that make me think that there is more going on with the public schools then they are letting on. They are way to willing to accept and even demand something that in October they weren't even willing to discuss (sitting out kids moving from private to public).

  • Replies 77
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not all about championships to the T's & X's. It's about providing the kids with the best possible educational experience.

People forget that about us, but we are willing to sacrifice our own benfits for that of OUR children...and we will be paid pack 10 fold, as we have before.

The 20 mile rule is comedic....

 

 

...and I live in Jefferson County....

 

Valley High School - 33.72 miles..

Fairdale High School - 27 miles..

Butler High School - 27.69 miles..

Holy Cross - 28.49 miles (ineligible?)

Male High School - 22.67 miles

duPont Manual - 24.66 miles

DeSales High School - 29.94 miles (ineligible?)

St. Xavier High School - 22.73 miles (ineligible?)

Trinity High School - 17.92 miles......

 

So close...

 

now does this make sense....

 

A circle with a radius of 20 miles is much larger than Jefferson County in area. That means a school limited by the so-called 20 mile rule would still be able to draw from a larger area than a JCPS school with county-wide open enrollment. So I don't think you should imply by your post that a 20 mile radius limitation is somehow more restrictive than the bounds of Jeff Co. If I remember correctly, when I consulted a map, LaGrange (Oldham Co) and Shelbyville (Shelby Co) are within 20 miles of Trinity.

 

And I think you should check your numbers--the farthest corners of the county are less than 20 miles (straight line distance) from Male and Manual. Maybe you're using driving distance and not straight line distance, which is how the rule would be implemented.

Does the 20 mile rule mean the child has to live within 20 miles or attend a grade school within 20 miles? Big difference in Jefferson County/Oldham County/ Indiana.....?

 

 

Then my parrish....St. Patricks...would be mostly Trinity, from here on out, or Ballard, or Eastern :rolleyes:

This is my problem with the rule, and the example I'm going to use is a specific kid ... Zach Barnard, the former Owensboro Catholic quarterback who is now at Marshall University.

 

Barnard, as I understand it, went to Holy Name, a Catholic grade school in Henderson. the way I see it, Barnard had four choices for high school:

 

1. Memorial, a Catholic school in Evansville.

 

2. Mater Dei, a Catholic school in Evansville.

 

3. Henderson County.

 

4. Owensboro Catholic.

 

Holy Name, technically, can't be considered a feeder school for Owensboro Catholic or Henderson County. I'm not sure Holy Name is considered such for the Evansville schools.

 

If this compromise, crappy as it is, is agreed upon, where are kids from Holy Name going to go to school and be immediately eligible? The only place will be at one of the two Evansville schools.

 

Any rule that would encourage a Kentucky kid to go to an out-of-state school is bunk. This "compromise" is awful.

A circle with a radius of 20 miles is much larger than Jefferson County in area. That means a school limited by the so-called 20 mile rule would still be able to draw from a larger area than a JCPS school with county-wide open enrollment. So I don't think you should imply by your post that a 20 mile radius limitation is somehow more restrictive than the bounds of Jeff Co. If I remember correctly, when I consulted a map, LaGrange (Oldham Co) and Shelbyville (Shelby Co) are within 20 miles of Trinity.

 

And I think you should check your numbers--the farthest corners of the county are less than 20 miles (straight line distance) from Male and Manual. Maybe you're using driving distance and not straight line distance, which is how the rule would be implemented.

 

 

As the crow flies, I am way far from Dixie HWY.

Me and Mr. Sears would have a great meeting, if it could just happen.

Then my parrish....St. Patricks...would be mostly Trinity, from here on out, or Ballard, or Eastern :rolleyes:

The Archdiocese of Louisville is a feeder system onto itself. Any child in the Archdiocese can attend any private school in the Archdiocese. The privates have offered that no penalty be levied against any student leaving the private system after 7th grade and attending a public institution.

If the private school proposal is accepted, all Catholic schools within the Archdicese of Louisville would be considered feeder schools to all Catholic high schools. Kids coming from private middle schools would be able to attend a public middle school without penalty. Public school kids moving to a private school would be limited by the 20 mile rule. To me, it is more interesting to try to figure out the public position. They want the sanctions to apply to kids moving from private to public. Why? I think it lends credence to the idea that some in leadership positions in the public schools are interested in hurting the private schools. Shame on them.

If the private school proposal is accepted, all Catholic schools within the Archdicese of Louisville would be considered feeder schools to all Catholic high schools. Kids coming from private middle schools would be able to attend a public middle school without penalty. Public school kids moving to a private school would be limited by the 20 mile rule. To me, it is more interesting to try to figure out the public position. They want the sanctions to apply to kids moving from private to public. Why? I think it lends credence to the idea that some in leadership positions in the public schools are interested in hurting the private schools. Shame on them.
While I'm against the whole shabang here.

 

This train of thought is rather biased.

If the public schools come out with a proposal that doesn't allow public students to go to private schools but pritave schools to go to public schools, it would be suggested that they wanted an unfair advantage. But now that they said they want the standerd to apply to both equally, they are interested in hurting private schools :confused:.

 

At this point I think they could turn water into wine and be accused promoting alcoholism.

I wonder what the statistics on the number of students and student-athletes transfer without moving. I know that it is probably relatively few in high school. But the number is probably considerably higher for middle school to high school. How many kids would this affect?

This is my problem with the rule, and the example I'm going to use is a specific kid ... Zach Barnard, the former Owensboro Catholic quarterback who is now at Marshall University.

 

Barnard, as I understand it, went to Holy Name, a Catholic grade school in Henderson. the way I see it, Barnard had four choices for high school:

 

1. Memorial, a Catholic school in Evansville.

 

2. Mater Dei, a Catholic school in Evansville.

 

3. Henderson County.

 

4. Owensboro Catholic.

 

Holy Name, technically, can't be considered a feeder school for Owensboro Catholic or Henderson County. I'm not sure Holy Name is considered such for the Evansville schools.

 

If this compromise, crappy as it is, is agreed upon, where are kids from Holy Name going to go to school and be immediately eligible? The only place will be at one of the two Evansville schools.

 

Any rule that would encourage a Kentucky kid to go to an out-of-state school is bunk. This "compromise" is awful.

Did he start varsity as a Sophmore?

I am not sure there is an answer to this problem that does not end up hurting some side of the issue. Leaving as is, does that. Any of the compromises does that.

 

While I am not a fan of Prop 20, I am not sure that it does not hurt the less of any of the choices.

While I'm against the whole shabang here.

 

This train of thought is rather biased.

If the public schools come out with a proposal that doesn't allow public students to go to private schools but pritave schools to go to public schools, it would be suggested that they wanted an unfair advantage. But now that they said they want the standerd to apply to both equally, they are interested in hurting private schools :confused:.

 

At this point I think they could turn water into wine and be accused promoting alcoholism.

No. Look at it this way. Catholic grade schools within the Archdiocese of Louisville are feeder schools to Catholic high schools in the Archdiocese. That means that if a kid in Hardin County wants to avoid the sanctions they have to either leave Catholic schools prior to the seventh grade or comute to Louisville for high school. Does that seem reasonable? The private schools put out a very reasonable proposal that said that we don't want to see our kids have to leave our grade schools in order to avoid these sanctions, therefore we'll offer to make the sanctions apply in only one direction. I can't come up with any reasonable explanation for turning that down except a desire to see kids forced to change schools prior to seventh grade.

I am not sure there is an answer to this problem that does not end up hurting some side of the issue. Leaving as is, does that. Any of the compromises does that.

 

While I am not a fan of Prop 20, I am not sure that it does not hurt the less of any of the choices.

The kids that are hurt by Prop 20 are the private school kids. There simply are not enough schools to have a separate playoff system. Football is the most obvious, with only a couple of schools in each class, but other sports would also be bad. There would be no district tounements because ther are fewer private schools than there are districts. The regional tounrnaments would be very short since ther are only three teams per region. The games that would be eliminated for the private schools hurt in that they reduce the games played and also carry a severe financial penalty. Prop 20 has an extreme effect on the private school kids.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.