February 23, 200620 yr At LC, yes there are a good amount of students that compete and are a large part of varsity sucess that are sophomores, and to a lesser extent, some freshmen. Some of these kids come from the public middle schools, some from private middle schools. Two big problems I have with this: 1. What about kids that would never in a million years be a contributer at a varsity level that come to LC from a public middle school. Kid joins the football team because he loves the sport, no matter how little he would play. Now he couldn't play at all for a year and no varsity for two years. At LC ALL Freshmen and JV players dress for and travel to ALL games. They will even play in some games (sorry Bourbon Co.). Not many kids may fall into this category, but one is one too many for me. 2. I hear some people point out about certian students from other counties that enroll (not transfer) as freshmen at LC, maybe not being a fair practice. How many of those kids happen to be members of the Catholic faith, and where they reside within the Diocese, have only one choice of a Catholic High School Education. I don't see this as a compromise. Non-public schools obviously give up something, but what is gained? Public schools have seemingly gained something they want, but what have they given up? I don't see this issue ending anytime soon.
February 23, 200620 yr Author I simply don't like this rule ... in any shape or form. There are any number of legitimate situations where (and reasons for) a student's family feels his or her educational best interests are best served by a change in school system when that student begins attending high school, and the KHSAA has no business legislating against such moves. I agree and I am very disappointed.
February 23, 200620 yr They still can but it gives the kid one year to get used to the new setting and establish good study habits and then a year of JV. I mean seriously how many times are Sophmores a crucial part of the Varsity squad anyway? There really is no reason for parents or a kid that is really going for educational reasons to get to upset. Again we have the large school vs. small school perspective. Sophomores and freshmen are quite often a contributor to a small school's atheltic program. My question is, what is the ineligible student allowed to do? Can the student practice with the team? If not, that player is left behind (do sports fall under the No Child Left Behind). And for some marginal players that may force them to not play at all in high school. While the student may not be a star, they could definitely give some depth. Also, is the provision about a legitimate change of residence still going to be in effect? If I live in NKY and move to WKY would my child still be eligible for sports? Or is this across the board, not matter the situation or reason for transferring? Seems still to be a lose-lose situation.
February 23, 200620 yr There is still one area of disagreement. It is the issue of an attendance zone. If the private proposal is accepted, this will be okay. If the public proposal is accepted, this should be shot down. Under the private proposal, all kids from within a 20 mile radius can attend a private school without penalty. Kids from defined feeder schools outside the 20 mile radius could also attend a private school. Thus a kid from Imaculate Conception school in LaGrange could attend St X because grade schools in the Archdiocese of Louisville are considered feeder schools. They could also attend Oldam County without penalty. The private school proposal would also exempt kids from private grade schools that attend a public high school from the sanctions. Thus the proposals wouldn't affect private to public movement at all. The private schools feel that this is important because we don't want Catholic kids punished by this nonsense. The public school proposal would eliminate the 20 mile radius for all private schools with more than 300 students and determine sanctions based on feeder patterns only. Under the public school version, graduates of Catholic grade schools in Louisville would have to sit out if they attend high school at a public school. That would affect the approximately 800 kids that leave a Catholic grade school for a public high school in the Archdiocese of Louisville each year. Thus if a kids attends Imaculate Conception in LaGrange, they would have to sit out if they attend Oldham County High. A kid at a Catholic grade school in E-town would have to sit out if they went to Hardin County. I think the Catholic schools will view that as a deal killer. Everyone else should also.
February 23, 200620 yr The private school proposal would also exempt kids from private grade schools that attend a public high school from the sanctions. Thus the proposals wouldn't affect private to public movement at all. The private schools feel that this is important because we don't want Catholic kids punished by this nonsense. "Speer and Mullen also said they don't believe a student who moves from a Catholic grade school to a public high school should face ineligibility. "We don't think students should be penalized just for switching," Speer said." This will come back to hurt privates when the public schools add more rules next year. Publics will settle for this now, knowing they will add even more anti-private rules later. Too bad...
February 23, 200620 yr I am sure that Male, Butler, and Manual will get exceptions like they do now over every other JCPS high school. That will not change, Daeschner will fight for his machines he has created.
February 23, 200620 yr I went to public school from k-8, played football for my Catholic Church, then went to Trinity......what would my eligibility be now, if I were to do that now...If would have to sit out, I would have huge problems with that... You know, when I go to Lake Cumberland this year, I might just drop in on Mr. Sears.
February 23, 200620 yr I went to public school from k-8, played football for my Catholic Church, then went to Trinity......what would my eligibility be now, if I were to do that now...If would have to sit out, I would have huge problems with that... You know, when I go to Lake Cumberland this year, I might just drop in on Mr. Sears. If you go by the public proposal, you would sit out freshman year, play JV sophmore year and varsity junior and senior years. If you go by the private proposal and you live within 20 miles of Trinity you would be able to play from day 1.
February 23, 200620 yr I found it hard to believe that 1)adults; 2)are passionate about the issue will be able to come to a full compromise that will really do anything. I hope I am simply being a glass 1/2 empty kinda person.
February 23, 200620 yr The 20 mile rule is comedic.... ...and I live in Jefferson County.... Valley High School - 33.72 miles.. Fairdale High School - 27 miles.. Butler High School - 27.69 miles.. Holy Cross - 28.49 miles (ineligible?) Male High School - 22.67 miles duPont Manual - 24.66 miles DeSales High School - 29.94 miles (ineligible?) St. Xavier High School - 22.73 miles (ineligible?) Trinity High School - 17.92 miles...... So close... now does this make sense....
February 23, 200620 yr The 20 mile rule is comedic.... ...and I live in Jefferson County.... Valley High School - 33.72 miles.. Fairdale High School - 27 miles.. Butler High School - 27.69 miles.. Holy Cross - 28.49 miles (ineligible?) Male High School - 22.67 miles duPont Manual - 24.66 miles DeSales High School - 29.94 miles (ineligible?) St. Xavier High School - 22.73 miles (ineligible?) Trinity High School - 17.92 miles...... So close... now does this make sense.... I have heard somewhere that Trinity is a good choice.
February 23, 200620 yr ^ that's where I went...luckily...but since I went to public grade school, I would still be ineligible.
February 23, 200620 yr The 20 mile rule is comedic.... ...and I live in Jefferson County.... Valley High School - 33.72 miles.. Fairdale High School - 27 miles.. Butler High School - 27.69 miles.. Holy Cross - 28.49 miles (ineligible?) Male High School - 22.67 miles duPont Manual - 24.66 miles DeSales High School - 29.94 miles (ineligible?) St. Xavier High School - 22.73 miles (ineligible?) Trinity High School - 17.92 miles...... So close... now does this make sense.... None of it makes sense, but I really do think that the privates have tried to go the extra mile (or 20) to give the publics something they would accept. The private proposal limits the number of kids that will be damaged (thus their proposal that the sanctions not apply to kids that move from private to public). My fear is that when the results on the field don't change, and they won't, we'll do it all again in a couple of years. There are some things that I think are good. I do believe that applying sanctions to kids that "play up" in middle school is a good thing and will help to reduce hard feelings.
February 23, 200620 yr The whole thing is a sham. Who does it benefit. It sure does not benefit the kids which is who should be the focus.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.