Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rewarding Straight A's.. A BAD THING???

Featured Replies

I don't see a problem with this at all. In my schooling days people who had straight A's got Reds tickets, went on field trips, & had lots of other perks that I seldom enjoyed.

  • Replies 52
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see a problem with this at all. In my schooling days people who had straight A's got Reds tickets, went on field trips, & had lots of other perks that I seldom enjoyed.

 

The Entitlement generation simply doesn't like it.

The Entitlement generation simply doesn't like it.

 

It's the parents of that generations that are causing the problems. Parents create the sense of entitlement.

It's the parents of that generations that are causing the problems. Parents create the sense of entitlement.

 

True and it's been predicted to be coming for years. It's arrived and will only get worse generation to generation.

I don't know how it is anywhere else but the district in which my kids go to school getting straight A's isn't even all the difficult anymore. When I was in school and A was from 100 to 94 or 93, now anywhere from 100 to 90 will earn an A. A B is from 89 to 80. Most kids with any effort at all should at least be able to get B's and above.

It's the parents of that generations that are causing the problems. Parents create the sense of entitlement.

 

The parents are the Entitlement generation.

Honor Roll Students at my daughters middle school receive a Free Season Pass to the local Water Park...rest of the kids have to pay to get in all summer.

 

THAT is not a bad idea.

From the article:

 

"Students who earned straight A’s at Eastern Middle School in Silver Spring have been invited to a school dance Tuesday, a celebration that starts during the final period of the school day and includes a DJ, free pizza and a game room.

 

Students with B’s and C’s may join in later, when classes are over and pizza is no longer served. Students with lower grades are not invited at all."

While celebrating and honoring academic achievement should be done I can not say I like the approach.

 

It splits the student body into 3 categories - smart, average and dumb on its surface. While it honors the achievers it also overtly punishes the lowest echelon when they are '...not invited at all.'

 

Celebrate achievement and give them their due. But do not call out those who have not excelled with a blatant snub of the same event.

 

Wholeheartedly agree.

Then by all means get rid of the National Honor Society. Let all graduations be in alphabetical order, and do not recognize any of the top students, or their honors.

 

Political correctness makes me want to :puke:

 

That's a poor analogy. A better analogy would be saying the NHS kids get their own graduation ceremony.

Honor Roll Students at my daughters middle school receive a Free Season Pass to the local Water Park...rest of the kids have to pay to get in all summer.

 

I don't see a problem with this at all. In my schooling days people who had straight A's got Reds tickets, went on field trips, & had lots of other perks that I seldom enjoyed.

 

 

I'd argue these are apples and oranges compared to a school dance.

 

A school dance is about community and fun. It shouldn't be about exclusion.

 

Reds tickets are different than the exclusive dance. You don't go as a "School group" when you go to a Reds game. You and your family/friends get 2 or 4 tickets. Not the same as keeping a good chunk of the student body out of a dance.

 

It's also not the same as the National Honor Society. Those kids go through the same graduation ceremony as the lowest of the graduates. They just get a cool yellow thing to wear.

 

A dance is about fun. It's not about achievement.

I don't like them excluding the lowest students, let them in with the C's and B's after school and pizza. That way no one is excluded and the highest achievers still get rewarded by cutting out early and getting the pizza.

I'd argue these are apples and oranges compared to a school dance.

 

A school dance is about community and fun. It shouldn't be about exclusion.

 

Reds tickets are different than the exclusive dance. You don't go as a "School group" when you go to a Reds game. You and your family/friends get 2 or 4 tickets. Not the same as keeping a good chunk of the student body out of a dance.

 

It's also not the same as the National Honor Society. Those kids go through the same graduation ceremony as the lowest of the graduates. They just get a cool yellow thing to wear.

 

A dance is about fun. It's not about achievement.

 

Recess is about community & fun too, but when I went to school we didn't always receive that privilege because of grades or poor behavior. Recess rights could be forfeited.

Recess is about community & fun too, but when I went to school we didn't always receive that privilege because of grades or poor behavior. Recess rights could be forfeited.

 

That's whack.

Recess is about community & fun too, but when I went to school we didn't always receive that privilege because of grades or poor behavior. Recess rights could be forfeited.

 

Never heard of grades impacting recess. The kids I knew sat because of behavior and breaking rules.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.