February 5, 201412 yr They seriously took away recess if you got bad grades? What kind of concentration camp school did you go to kid? :lol2:
February 5, 201412 yr Another thing about the Reds tickets, at least when I was in school, they were put in our "Thursday Envelopes" (each week they would put important papers that were intended to be seen by our parents in envelopes that were required to be brought back with a parent's signature the next day)...That way it wasn't displayed in public which kids got the tickets, and which didn't.
February 5, 201412 yr Never heard of grades impacting recess. The kids I knew sat because of behavior and breaking rules. They seriously took away recess if you got bad grades? What kind of concentration camp school did you go to kid? :lol2: It wasn't necessarily a standard thing, but there were numerous times when poor school performance kept kids from the playground. Behavior was certainly more often the reason, but grades were fairly common too.
February 5, 201412 yr It wasn't necessarily a standard thing, but there were numerous times when poor school performance kept kids from the playground. Behavior was certainly more often the reason, but grades were fairly common too. To me, that reeks of overstepping their authority. It's not the school's job or really any of their business, how a student is disciplined, if at all, for poor grades.
February 5, 201412 yr We only missed recess if we did not complete an assignment or had discipline problems.
February 5, 201412 yr My wife the Special Education teacher says she thinks it's fine to give the perks that were given to the students with all A's, but she's not sure about the rest. She also says when she was in school, kids were kept from recess because of grades "all the time."
February 5, 201412 yr My wife the Special Education teacher says she thinks it's fine to give the perks that were given to the students with all A's, but she's not sure about the rest. She also says when she was in school, kids were kept from recess because of grades "all the time." Makes no sense to me. The teachers have no idea how much effort the kids put in away from the classroom. If little Randy is struggling with Math, and spends countless hours each week working on homework and studying, and still fails, is withholding recess from him, really going to help? All it's going to do is make a kid that's putting forth a lot of effort and struggling feel worse than he already does.
February 5, 201412 yr I'm all about rewarding achievement and praising them to the group...but the dance thing in the original post...I don't know if I agree with how that whole thing was done. If having the dance/party, I'd rather they just had all the A students attend and closed it completely to everyone else. Letting some come after and others not at all simply based on grades seems a little...convoluted...contrived maybe? The idea is right, but I think it was just executed poorly.
February 5, 201412 yr Then by all means get rid of the National Honor Society. Let all graduations be in alphabetical order, and do not recognize any of the top students, or their honors. Political correctness makes me want to :puke: Common sense is not PC. All those things are fine. Now picture a graduation where the lowest 1/3 or 1/4 were held separately since they were not deserving or just plain 'not invited' at all. A basic leadership and coaching tactic is - "Praise in public, criticize in private." PC would be to just not criticize.
February 6, 201412 yr I don't have a problem with the stipulations of the dance. All the students knew what was required and the rewards for academic achievement. What's wrong with giving perks for academic success and giving different privileges for the levels of academic achievement? I was raised by the principles that hard work and achievement will result in rewards. I'm not one who believes that everyone is entitled to everything. Sorry Little Johnny didn't get a piece of pizza and missed an hour of the dance. There's always the homecoming dance.
February 6, 201412 yr I have problems categorizing all low achievers as being dumb or lazy. I have a granddaughter with learning problems. It is painful to watch her struggle with testing especially. Getting B's and C's are hard work for her at all times. She is neither dumb nor lazy.
February 6, 201412 yr Also, I missed recess several times because I didn't earn it (had to stay in the classroom and do assignments) and I was not traumatized from the experiences. I knew what was expected and if I didn't meet the expectations, I knew the consequences.
February 6, 201412 yr I have problems categorizing all low achievers as being dumb or lazy. I have a granddaughter with learning problems. It is painful to watch her struggle with testing especially. Getting B's and C's are hard work for her at all times. She is neither dumb nor lazy. I don't believe anyone from the school categorized anyone as being dumb or lazy. For this particular dance, there was specific requirements that had to be met in order to receive the reward. In my eyes, there's nothing wrong with that.
February 6, 201412 yr We reward the better athletes with varsity letters, more playing time, and lots of other recognition while the not so talented athletes stand by and watch.
February 6, 201412 yr I was responding to post 3 and 5. I should have used the reply with quote. Sorry. I don't believe anyone from the school categorized anyone as being dumb or lazy. For this particular dance, there was specific requirements that had to be met in order to receive the reward. In my eyes, there's nothing wrong with that.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.