Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Injunctive Release Issued today in Franklin County Court against the KHSAA

Featured Replies

I thought the Highlands decision was nearing a decade old. Wasn't it 2005?

 

Maybe I misunderstood your post. Did you say that the KHSAA was stopping the appeal process when injunctions were granted after the Mitchell case?

  • Replies 60
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I misunderstood your post. Did you say that the KHSAA was stopping the appeal process when injunctions were granted after the Mitchell case?

 

Just that it was the decision that got the ball rolling on it.

I think too much is being made about why these kids came to little Cordia way up in the hills of eastern Kentucky instead of migrating to other better known and closer schools to where they lived. I may be naive but I don't think there's the recruiting going on at Cordia that several on here are implying. I think it's simply that Rhodes is a well known basketball figure with his former college and NBA connections and that these young men and their families are coming to him, not the other way around. He probably gets around during the summer AAU and camp sessions and rubs elbows with other basketball personnel and tells them where he is coaching and what he's doing. Some of the kids that have transferred to Cordia are no doubt a result of parents wanting to get their kids out of dangerous environments and into a safer location. What better place to be than a quite little community nestled in the mountains of basketball crazy southeast Kentucky! And playing for a former NBA player (and for the New Jersey/ New York kids, he's from their area). Summer coaches, parents, and other probably see the conditions these kids live in and if they've heard of Rhodes or what he is doing they pick up the phone and give him a call. And IMO there's nothing wrong with that. Players transfer all over Kentucky for various reasons. Some of you seem to be hung up on the issue that these kids are transferring from out of state or a longer distance than a neighboring county. Well, IMO a transfer is a transfer, distance from where a student transfers is totally irrelevant. Every region in the state has had transfers that have helped their teams to be better, and a majority of them more than likely transferred for basketball reasons, not academics like many want to imply. And the kids in Jefferson County, 700,000 population, move back and forth all over that county to the more tradition rich basketball programs, using the 'open enrollment policy' to its fullest.

So, Cordia is not as guilty as one might think. Someone on here in one of the post defending some of the transfers from Kentucky schools to other Kentucky schools said that in those cases it wasn't the schools that recruited the players, it was the players recruiting the school (I suppose for academic reasons only, lol). So I suppose it's not okay for these Cordia kids to "recruit" Cordia because they like Rhodes and want safer environment. You want it one way if it's in your best interest but get your panties in a wad if it betters the lives and conditions of others, such as the Cordia transfers.

 

And one more thing, some have made comments such as, "Why would anyone want to move in a remote place up in the hills of Eastern Kentucky like Cordia?"

Well, FYI Cordia is not as in the middle of nowhere as you might think. Hazard, a city of 5,000, and with all the modern conveniences of many of the larger cities in the state, Lowes, Super Walmart's , Applebee's, a hospital, etc, is only a 15 minute drive away. They're not in the boondocks.

 

Again, a lot of maybe this or if that. No one really knows why they came. That's kinda strange, considering how connected most are on here. And for the record, I don't like any of the transfers if they are for athletics only. I have said that multiple times. Just because others do it and get away with it, doesn't make it right! And for open enrollement districts, that's perfectly legal. Any district can do that. That's a choice. Some may transfer for a sport, but there are always other reasons. And transferring across the state is much different than coming from NYC. Picking up and leaving your family 800 miles away to go play basketball is not normal, no matter how you want to spin it. And I didn't realize Rhodes was such a herlded coach. If he's that good and reputable, why is he at Cordia? How many other players have come out of NYC and played college and pro basketball that would have the same influence and connection to these kids. Why Rhodes in Cordia? Plenty of other options for those kids. What are they getting out of coming to Cordia?

 

And by the way, the KHSAA seems to be fighting this one tooth and nail, so that tells me this is different than all the other ones everyone is throwing out as examples. What's different about this one that the KHSAA is making statements of disappointment. Must be something. Noone knows why they came and the KHSAA is fighting hard to uphold the rules...HMMMM, reeks of suspicion.

 

Quit acting like it's just like the rest of them. And if it is, I'm completely against the rest of them too.

 

And I have no idea where Cordia is. Never even heard of the school until this came up. It doesn't matter what kind of city it is, still very fishy.

 

I could care less about boys basketball, other than for entertainment. I just can't stand people constantly challenging and stretching the rules and looking for every loophole to take advantage of. The rules are put in place for student athletes that have a legitimate reason to transfer. Then you get people that take advantage of the rules because they know they can, knowing that they can get away with it because the rules are in place to protect innocent kids that want to transfer, but you have to let all of them because of the rules. That's taking advantage of the system and that's the problem I have. You'll always have rules and regulations put in place to protect the innocent and there will always be people that use those same rules against you for their benefit. That drives me bonkers!! If there is a legitimate reason they came, I will be the first to apologize. But this seems to be more and more like the examples I just descibed in this paragraph.

I have no first hand knowledge about what may lead high school basketball players from New Jersey and New York to transfer to Cordia, and I am taking no position on whether recruiting is good or bad, but I do believe it would be naive to think that Cordia is not engaging in activities that most people would consider recruiting. I also think it would be naive to think that these players sought out Rodrick Rhodes; while he originally was from New Jersey, he graduated from high school in 1992, long before these transfers were born. He played a total of 72 games in the NBA (for Houston, Vancouver, Toronto and Dallas), and scored a total of 380 points. It would be quite a coincidence if multiple kids all of a sudden sought out Cordia or Coach Rhodes on their own.

Again, a lot of maybe this or if that. No one really knows why they came. That's kinda strange, considering how connected most are on here. And for the record, I don't like any of the transfers if they are for athletics only. I have said that multiple times. Just because others do it and get away with it, doesn't make it right! And for open enrollement districts, that's perfectly legal. Any district can do that. That's a choice. Some may transfer for a sport, but there are always other reasons. And transferring across the state is much different than coming from NYC. Picking up and leaving your family 800 miles away to go play basketball is not normal, no matter how you want to spin it. And I didn't realize Rhodes was such a herlded coach. If he's that good and reputable, why is he at Cordia? How many other players have come out of NYC and played college and pro basketball that would have the same influence and connection to these kids. Why Rhodes in Cordia? Plenty of other options for those kids. What are they getting out of coming to Cordia?

 

And by the way, the KHSAA seems to be fighting this one tooth and nail, so that tells me this is different than all the other ones everyone is throwing out as examples. What's different about this one that the KHSAA is making statements of disappointment. Must be something. Noone knows why they came and the KHSAA is fighting hard to uphold the rules...HMMMM, reeks of suspicion.

 

Quit acting like it's just like the rest of them. And if it is, I'm completely against the rest of them too.

 

And I have no idea where Cordia is. Never even heard of the school until this came up. It doesn't matter what kind of city it is, still very fishy.

 

I could care less about boys basketball, other than for entertainment. I just can't stand people constantly challenging and stretching the rules and looking for every loophole to take advantage of. The rules are put in place for student athletes that have a legitimate reason to transfer. Then you get people that take advantage of the rules because they know they can, knowing that they can get away with it because the rules are in place to protect innocent kids that want to transfer, but you have to let all of them because of the rules. That's taking advantage of the system and that's the problem I have. You'll always have rules and regulations put in place to protect the innocent and there will always be people that use those same rules against you for their benefit. That drives me bonkers!! If there is a legitimate reason they came, I will be the first to apologize. But this seems to be more and more like the examples I just descibed in this paragraph.

 

You conveniently gloss over the open enrollment policy with a, "that's legal...." and all is okay response. Do you not think that some of these powerhouse teams in Jefferson County, a county of 700,000, haven't loaded up with the best players in the area through this policy and have gone on to win state championships in various sports??? To have a recruiting base from a population of that magnitude to work with is a gold mine to the lucky schools that always seem to get the services of their migration. But instead of also focusing on this uneven playing field you want to turn a blind eye behind its "all legal" response. I've talked to coaches from Louisville at the state basketball tournament and heard their stories of how they are irritated to the max over losing talented kids who were in their school district but were 'convinced' into openly enrolling in another school. That's a huge advantage IMO.

I'm not saying what is happening at Cordia is on the up and up, that there's not something fishy going on. All we can go on is what Rhodes and the school says, that the transfers were not recruited. Same as what the lucky open enrollment coaches would say if asked why they were so fortunate to get a 6'8 future D-1 prospect to enroll in their school instead of the school district he actually lives, they would say that the kid came on his own, came for academics, better school, but NEVER recruited. Only Cordia does that.

Again, a lot of maybe this or if that. No one really knows why they came. That's kinda strange, considering how connected most are on here. And for the record, I don't like any of the transfers if they are for athletics only. I have said that multiple times. Just because others do it and get away with it, doesn't make it right! And for open enrollement districts, that's perfectly legal. Any district can do that. That's a choice. Some may transfer for a sport, but there are always other reasons. And transferring across the state is much different than coming from NYC. Picking up and leaving your family 800 miles away to go play basketball is not normal, no matter how you want to spin it. And I didn't realize Rhodes was such a herlded coach. If he's that good and reputable, why is he at Cordia? How many other players have come out of NYC and played college and pro basketball that would have the same influence and connection to these kids. Why Rhodes in Cordia? Plenty of other options for those kids. What are they getting out of coming to Cordia?

 

And by the way, the KHSAA seems to be fighting this one tooth and nail, so that tells me this is different than all the other ones everyone is throwing out as examples. What's different about this one that the KHSAA is making statements of disappointment. Must be something. Noone knows why they came and the KHSAA is fighting hard to uphold the rules...HMMMM, reeks of suspicion.

 

Quit acting like it's just like the rest of them. And if it is, I'm completely against the rest of them too.

 

And I have no idea where Cordia is. Never even heard of the school until this came up. It doesn't matter what kind of city it is, still very fishy.

 

I could care less about boys basketball, other than for entertainment. I just can't stand people constantly challenging and stretching the rules and looking for every loophole to take advantage of. The rules are put in place for student athletes that have a legitimate reason to transfer. Then you get people that take advantage of the rules because they know they can, knowing that they can get away with it because the rules are in place to protect innocent kids that want to transfer, but you have to let all of them because of the rules. That's taking advantage of the system and that's the problem I have. You'll always have rules and regulations put in place to protect the innocent and there will always be people that use those same rules against you for their benefit. That drives me bonkers!! If there is a legitimate reason they came, I will be the first to apologize. But this seems to be more and more like the examples I just descibed in this paragraph.

 

I don't even know where to start so we'll take it from the top:

 

Paragraph 1:

 

You say that yourself or others don't know why they came, but then go on making assumptions like you do. Also, any district can't "decide" to be open enrollment. Doesn't work that way. Even if it did, wouldn't that be a way of "stretching the rules" that you argue so vehemently against in your conclusion?

 

Why isn't it normal to transfer 800 miles? Define 'normal'. What some small town in Kentucky defines as normal might not be the same as what someone in an urban area would define it as.

 

Why Rhodes and Cordia? Maybe the fact that he's been a D1 coach and an assistant at BCS programs, was a highly rated recruit, and played in the NBA. How many high school coaches can say even one of those three things? Aside from all of those, I'm sure his story is something that some of the kids can relate to considering their backgrounds, etc.

 

You say "why at Cordia and plenty of other options for the kids"? Sure, some prep school that admits 100% of their students to their first secondary education choice would be nice, but is it affordable? Do they have the grades to go there? Maybe they go to Cordia because they think it's a better alternative than a public school in New York, which is completely their choice. The parents were willing to move with them, so I'm guessing they thought it might be a way to get a scholarship and possibly make a better life. Why fault that?

 

Paragraph 2:

 

Are you sure it's the KHSAA fighting it, or could it possibly other schools in the area that would be effected? You think they want to see Cordia get better despite the fact they've got kids of there own who've transferred in?

 

"Quit acting like it's just like the rest of them. And if it is, I'm completely against the rest of them too."

 

You follow that up with statements about how little you know about Cordia, but seem to have your mind made up. Just trying to provoke thought, but, no, I don't see the difference, for example, in a school that has some kids who are already on their team pressure a kid at another school during summer ball to come play for their school.

 

Do you at least acknowledge how it seems a bit ethnocentric to be okay with a kid moving a few counties over in the same state but not be okay with a kid moving into a new state under the same circumstances? You're assuming that the kids from Cordia don't care about education, but they have a kid going to visit Ivy League schools, so at least one of their kids seems to care. That doesn't really fit the narrative of what everyone thinks though, so it doesn't really get a lot of mention.

 

Final paragraph:

That's fine if you complained when Highlands, who got this whole rule in place to begin with, or countless others made moves to benefit their athletics programs.

 

I just feel that it's unfair to say that when Cordia gets some kids from out of state who don't, ahem, "fit the mold", that something must automatically be going on and imply that they care less about their education.

I don't even know where to start so we'll take it from the top:

 

Paragraph 1:

 

You say that yourself or others don't know why they came, but then go on making assumptions like you do. Also, any district can't "decide" to be open enrollment. Doesn't work that way. Even if it did, wouldn't that be a way of "stretching the rules" that you argue so vehemently against in your conclusion?

 

Why isn't it normal to transfer 800 miles? Define 'normal'. What some small town in Kentucky defines as normal might not be the same as what someone in an urban area would define it as.

 

Why Rhodes and Cordia? Maybe the fact that he's been a D1 coach and an assistant at BCS programs, was a highly rated recruit, and played in the NBA. How many high school coaches can say even one of those three things? Aside from all of those, I'm sure his story is something that some of the kids can relate to considering their backgrounds, etc.

 

You say "why at Cordia and plenty of other options for the kids"? Sure, some prep school that admits 100% of their students to their first secondary education choice would be nice, but is it affordable? Do they have the grades to go there? Maybe they go to Cordia because they think it's a better alternative than a public school in New York, which is completely their choice. The parents were willing to move with them, so I'm guessing they thought it might be a way to get a scholarship and possibly make a better life. Why fault that?

 

Paragraph 2:

 

Are you sure it's the KHSAA fighting it, or could it possibly other schools in the area that would be effected? You think they want to see Cordia get better despite the fact they've got kids of there own who've transferred in?

 

"Quit acting like it's just like the rest of them. And if it is, I'm completely against the rest of them too."

 

You follow that up with statements about how little you know about Cordia, but seem to have your mind made up. Just trying to provoke thought, but, no, I don't see the difference, for example, in a school that has some kids who are already on their team pressure a kid at another school during summer ball to come play for their school.

 

Do you at least acknowledge how it seems a bit ethnocentric to be okay with a kid moving a few counties over in the same state but not be okay with a kid moving into a new state under the same circumstances? You're assuming that the kids from Cordia don't care about education, but they have a kid going to visit Ivy League schools, so at least one of their kids seems to care. That doesn't really fit the narrative of what everyone thinks though, so it doesn't really get a lot of mention.

 

Final paragraph:

That's fine if you complained when Highlands, who got this whole rule in place to begin with, or countless others made moves to benefit their athletics programs.

 

I just feel that it's unfair to say that when Cordia gets some kids from out of state who don't, ahem, "fit the mold", that something must automatically be going on and imply that they care less about their education.

 

Good post and well stated. :thumb:

Good post and well stated. :thumb:

 

Thanks. I appreciate it.

 

One thing that has really kind of irked me through all this debate is that the kids at Cordia care less about education. I'm guessing that if we really dug into their circumstances, while Cordia might not be a Blue Ribbon School, it still rates higher statistically than some of those left behind (or at least gives them things like smaller class sizes, etc. that can be beneficial to certain students).

You conveniently gloss over the open enrollment policy with a, "that's legal...." and all is okay response. Do you not think that some of these powerhouse teams in Jefferson County, a county of 700,000, haven't loaded up with the best players in the area through this policy and have gone on to win state championships in various sports??? To have a recruiting base from a population of that magnitude to work with is a gold mine to the lucky schools that always seem to get the services of their migration. But instead of also focusing on this uneven playing field you want to turn a blind eye behind its "all legal" response. I've talked to coaches from Louisville at the state basketball tournament and heard their stories of how they are irritated to the max over losing talented kids who were in their school district but were 'convinced' into openly enrolling in another school. That's a huge advantage IMO.

I'm not saying what is happening at Cordia is on the up and up, that there's not something fishy going on. All we can go on is what Rhodes and the school says, that the transfers were not recruited. Same as what the lucky open enrollment coaches would say if asked why they were so fortunate to get a 6'8 future D-1 prospect to enroll in their school instead of the school district he actually lives, they would say that the kid came on his own, came for academics, better school, but NEVER recruited. Only Cordia does that.

 

I'm not saying the open enrollment is fair...I'm saying it's completely within the rules and every district can do the same thing. If they chose not to, then that on that district. Kenton Co in NKY is open and the county right next to them is one of the counties that force you to play at the school whose area you reside in. There are other open districts. I'm sure that is approved by KHSAA for whatever reasons they felt is was necessary to approve it. My point is, it's completely within the rules and what the rules were intended for. No stretching of the rules going on there. Kids can go anywhere for whatever reason they want. Now, if coaches in the open districts are encouraging kids to come to their school, then shame on them and that should be addressed the same way this is. But if the kids are seeking out those schools because an AAU buddy goes there or they feel they will get more development from a coach at a different school and the open enrollment allows this, why is that an issue? Either the rules (which are the same for every district) need to be changed or the schools in which these kids are leaving need to figure out how to keep them. This is not even close to apples to apples comparison. That's a completely different rule...unless there is recruiting going on. Then it would fall under "unacceptable" for me...like any of this.

I'm not saying the open enrollment is fair...I'm saying it's completely within the rules and every district can do the same thing. If they chose not to, then that on that district. Kenton Co in NKY is open and the county right next to them is one of the counties that force you to play at the school whose area you reside in. There are other open districts. I'm sure that is approved by KHSAA for whatever reasons they felt is was necessary to approve it. My point is, it's completely within the rules and what the rules were intended for. No stretching of the rules going on there. Kids can go anywhere for whatever reason they want. Now, if coaches in the open districts are encouraging kids to come to their school, then shame on them and that should be addressed the same way this is. But if the kids are seeking out those schools because an AAU buddy goes there or they feel they will get more development from a coach at a different school and the open enrollment allows this, why is that an issue? Either the rules (which are the same for every district) need to be changed or the schools in which these kids are leaving need to figure out how to keep them. This is not even close to apples to apples comparison. That's a completely different rule...unless there is recruiting going on. Then it would fall under "unacceptable" for me...like any of this.

 

What facts do you have to say recruiting or something unacceptable happened at Cordia? The kids moved, which falls under the transfer exceptions. They didn't talk to Coach Rhodes until after they were enrolled, which means it would be hard for Rhodes to recruit them without talking or contacting them.

 

I just fail to see where any evidence of recruiting has taken place in this situation which is why I feel the kids should be eligible. The distance they moved means nothing if there was no foul play (which there is no evidence of).

I don't even know where to start so we'll take it from the top:

 

Paragraph 1:

 

You say that yourself or others don't know why they came, but then go on making assumptions like you do. Also, any district can't "decide" to be open enrollment. Doesn't work that way. Even if it did, wouldn't that be a way of "stretching the rules" that you argue so vehemently against in your conclusion?

 

Why isn't it normal to transfer 800 miles? Define 'normal'. What some small town in Kentucky defines as normal might not be the same as what someone in an urban area would define it as.

 

Why Rhodes and Cordia? Maybe the fact that he's been a D1 coach and an assistant at BCS programs, was a highly rated recruit, and played in the NBA. How many high school coaches can say even one of those three things? Aside from all of those, I'm sure his story is something that some of the kids can relate to considering their backgrounds, etc.

 

You say "why at Cordia and plenty of other options for the kids"? Sure, some prep school that admits 100% of their students to their first secondary education choice would be nice, but is it affordable? Do they have the grades to go there? Maybe they go to Cordia because they think it's a better alternative than a public school in New York, which is completely their choice. The parents were willing to move with them, so I'm guessing they thought it might be a way to get a scholarship and possibly make a better life. Why fault that?

 

 

Paragraph 2:

 

Are you sure it's the KHSAA fighting it, or could it possibly other schools in the area that would be effected? You think they want to see Cordia get better despite the fact they've got kids of there own who've transferred in?

 

"Quit acting like it's just like the rest of them. And if it is, I'm completely against the rest of them too."

 

You follow that up with statements about how little you know about Cordia, but seem to have your mind made up. Just trying to provoke thought, but, no, I don't see the difference, for example, in a school that has some kids who are already on their team pressure a kid at another school during summer ball to come play for their school.

 

Do you at least acknowledge how it seems a bit ethnocentric to be okay with a kid moving a few counties over in the same state but not be okay with a kid moving into a new state under the same circumstances? You're assuming that the kids from Cordia don't care about education, but they have a kid going to visit Ivy League schools, so at least one of their kids seems to care. That doesn't really fit the narrative of what everyone thinks though, so it doesn't really get a lot of mention.

 

Final paragraph:

That's fine if you complained when Highlands, who got this whole rule in place to begin with, or countless others made moves to benefit their athletics programs.

 

I just feel that it's unfair to say that when Cordia gets some kids from out of state who don't, ahem, "fit the mold", that something must automatically be going on and imply that they care less about their education.

 

Wow! Where do I start.

 

Yes, I'm making assumptions that there is something fishy going on here. But several of these assumptions seem to be coming reality as we speak. Not all of them, but sure appears most of what I have put on here is true so far. No one denies it. Everyone just answers with "i see no problem letting them play". Secondly, this is an open forum and where questions like this can be discussed. No one has been able to tell us why they came. So that leads to more assumptions. Again, if I'm wrong, I'll be the first to apologize.

 

Open enrollment is completely within the rules. You are allowed to do it. It's not stretching at all when it's approved by everyone and anyone can do it. Yes, some districts are rural and only have one school...I get it. I didn't say it was fair. I just said it's completely allowed. I have no idea why its' allowed. I have to trust that KHSAA has those details.

 

Why Rhodes? Not buying what you're selling. Again, what if. Are you telling me there are no big time coaches between here and NYC that grew up in NY, played D1 basketball, and has just as good or even better reputation than Rhodes??? Really??? Did you see Rhodes' stats in the other posts. I didn't realize he was so big time! C'mon, you can't really believe that. Unless someone has some way they are connected, it doesn't add up. Just give me something! He is the brother of the second cousin that went to school with Rhodes' grandma. Something! Rhodes graduated long before these kids even born. Outside of older generation in KY, no one even knows who Rhodes is anymore. If they did, he wouldn't be coaching at Cordia! In fact, the more I talk, the more I can't believe it's just coincidence. These kids sought out Roderick Rhodes in Cordia, KY without any influence and just because he played for KY in the early 90's, grew up in NY, and played 30 seconds in the NBA? You say it would be hard to find just one coach with one of those things, I say there are probably 20 coaches within the state of NY that probably has one of those things.

 

If your "why Cordia" statement is true and they all moved here for a better life, then you win. I would agree 100% with the reasoning. But that's another "what if". Why wouldn't someone have already come out and say that. Why would the KHSAA deem them ineligible? That would be perfectly within the rules and my history says that the KHSSA looks at each situation individually and does what's right for the kids, within reason. So why are they (who know way more than any of us about the situation) deem them ineligible? And why two kids? Why did they both decide to end up at the same place? They planned all that right? Again, if that turns out to be the reason, then, I'm all for it! It's a great story. But if you're talking about college recruiting, why would you leave one of the meca's of basketball recruiting to come to a small school in KY. That "what if" doesn't add up either.

 

Did you read the statement from Julian Tackett? You don't think it's them fighting it? No matter how many coaches complain, its still the KHSAA that rules on eligibility. They deemed them ineligible. I would doubt they would risk lawsuits over eligibility just because of a couple disgruntled coaches.

 

Like to know where I said anything about education. Haven't said word about Cordia and education. That's your assumption. But if you really think they are coming for an education, theres another HUGE "what if". Have no idea what kind of school Cordia is. I'm assuming a very nice school that produces a quality education, but if you're trying to sell me on the fact that these kids are coming from NYC for education, sell that bridge to someone else.

 

As for kids transferring across counties being different, yes, completely different. Those kids typically know kids from that school that they have played with or know that school provides better opportunities or whatever. Key difference, they know about that other school or kids that they want to play with. That's the difference. How does that work with kids from NY that had no idea where the heck Cordia was until someone told them? Someone had to tell them. Do you really think they just thought about who they wanted to play for, found out where he was coaching, passed up 100's of other qualified (l'm sure many way more qualified) programs on the way and ended up in Cordia, KY...without any influence at all. Yea, that sounds realistic.

 

I coach at Highlands and if there was any wrong doing going on, I would be completely against it. Just like any of it. Mike Mitchell's didn't come from NYC and they all thought is was perfectly legal at the time. I was very good friends with the lawyer that repesented him. If they didn't believe they were completely legit, they wouldn't have challenged it. I don't feel this is the same as the Mitchell situation.

 

Again, said nothing about education. If those kids came for a better education situation, then more power to them. I would support them 100%. Now tell me they came for education.

What facts do you have to say recruiting or something unacceptable happened at Cordia? The kids moved, which falls under the transfer exceptions. They didn't talk to Coach Rhodes until after they were enrolled, which means it would be hard for Rhodes to recruit them without talking or contacting them.

 

I just fail to see where any evidence of recruiting has taken place in this situation which is why I feel the kids should be eligible. The distance they moved means nothing if there was no foul play (which there is no evidence of).

 

No facts, just debating and stating my opinion. I just said it's odd and things don't add up. Two kids from NYC (not one, but two) show up on your doorstep and you had no idea they were coming. Apparently the KHSAA has the facts, or as you say, they would already be completely eligible right. Appears they are within the rules from the outside. But from the inside and from the people that make the rules, they are ineligible. Why? If they moved into the district and just showed up, why in the world are then ineligible in the first place. Why would there be any questions at all? The normal transfer process is pretty simple when its legit. Each school signs off, it gets submitted for approval, the state does their due diligence and you are eligible in a couple weeks.

I'm saying that it isn't a perfect world. There have to be regulations and order.

Sometimes innocent folks get inconvenienced.

We have proven that there is no perfect "one rule fits all" solution. The KHSAA is presently entrusted for ruling on and doling out decisions pertaining to transfers, however, their authority is being usurped by the judicial system. Something has to change.

 

So you're for a zero tolerance policy here.

 

I'm not. I value the kids who ARE "innocent" more than that.

NCC has also benefited from transfers this year so I guess the transfer playing field is even.

NCC didn't need a court injunction for theirs. KHSAA had no problem with it. There is a difference.

NCC didn't need a court injunction for theirs. KHSAA had no problem with it. There is a difference.

 

One could also argue that anyone residing in the Diocese of Covington area is technically not a transfer when deciding to attend a Catholic school in the Diocese.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.