January 6, 201412 yr Really?? No way he's bottom 5. For sure, Freeman, Schaub, Vick, Bradford, Wheedan (or whoever Cleveland runs out there), Pryor, Gabbert, Smith and Ponder, Manuel, are lesser QB's. Is Daulton going to ever be a star?? No. But take your emotions out of this and look around, and there are no better available options right now. I absolutely believe the Bengals should looking very hard at drafting the next Franchise type QB this year in the draft. But Daulton has to be your man at the beginning of next season. Any other current QB you could get would be a step backward. And I can guarantee if you cut Daulton loose, he'll be starting somewhere for somebody next season. Out of those you listed I would take the following over Dalton Pryor Smith Schaub Bradford Then you can list Dalton tied with the rest at the bottom of the rung. It would be awesome if Dalton was starting somewhere else next year, preferably a team in the AFCN
January 6, 201412 yr Even now I'm taking Eli over Dalton any day of the week. I will tell you exactly why I would take Eli over Dalton right now. It has everything to do with how Eli plays in the playoffs. Just like this year the Bengals defense an win the games to get the team into the playoffs and then in the playoffs Eli can play like he does in the playoffs. The defense got Andy to the playoffs again and Andy crapped a big turd again in the playoffs where QB play actually matters.
January 6, 201412 yr The defense got Andy to the playoffs again and Andy crapped a big turd again in the playoffs where QB play actually matters. I think some people need to keep things a little in perspective. Andy Dalton put up some good numbers in the regular season (not arguing the turd against the turd yesterday) to help get the team to the playoffs as well, it wasn't all the defense: 7th in passing yards 3rd in passing TD's 15th in completion percentage 15th in passer rating 5th most interceptions And I'm not really a fan of Dalton, but I'd hardly call those number bottom 5...well except for inceptions obviously.
January 6, 201412 yr Without the benefit of all the numbers, my impression of Dalton was his good games were exceptional, his bad ones were epic.
January 6, 201412 yr I think some people need to keep things a little in perspective. Andy Dalton put up some good numbers in the regular season (not arguing the turd against the turd yesterday) to help get the team to the playoffs as well, it wasn't all the defense: 7th in passing yards 3rd in passing TD's 15th in completion percentage 15th in passer rating 5th most interceptions And I'm not really a fan of Dalton, but I'd hardly call those number bottom 5...well except for inceptions obviously. I could care less about the numbers I. Dalton's case, they don't even come close to telling the story about Dalton. He can't handle pressure, never has and I'm not just talking about pressure from the defense when he has his epic failures when he runs out of the pocket that more times than not leads to a throw out of bounds or an int. I'm talking about the mental pressure. He seems to do fine when the bengals have a nice lead (most of the time, the Ravens game he didn't even do that). But when the game is close and on the line, he crumbles most of the time. He more times than not doesn't look at his recievers when the play called calls for a deep throw, he just throws it up usually into double and triple coverage. He stares down his recievers too much and he lives off the short pass only because he is most accurate on those throws. You can show all the numbers you want about Andy Dalton, but if you do you also need to show his numbers in the post season because that is when he is facing good teams and struggles the most. You can throw for 7000 yards in a season but if you get to the post season and still have more turnovers than TD's it doesn't mean squat. Every year in the post season Dalton had more turnovers than TDs and that was against lower seeded teams too. Like I said, I'd take Eli right now only because he wins in the post season when it counts. Andy got to the post season because of our defense, not because of him. When we need to depend on Andy he lets us down everytime.
January 6, 201412 yr RE: weak arm/long completions - As posted above Dalton was #1 in the NFL in passes of 40+ yards and #6 in 20+ yard completions. In the playoff game, he threw a beautiful clutch 40+ yard pass to Jones and was right on the money on another long one to Green that he didn't hang on to.
January 6, 201412 yr Out of those you listed I would take the following over Dalton Pryor Smith Schaub Bradford Then you can list Dalton tied with the rest at the bottom of the rung. It would be awesome if Dalton was starting somewhere else next year, preferably a team in the AFCN That whole bunch has been in the league as long as or longer than Daulton and accomplished a lot less. And I know Schaub has a playoff win, but only has appeared in two post season games with very pedestrian numbers. The others are injury prone, have no playoff wins and/or have other shortcomings. Again, I think you have to take the emotion out of this. I know you're a huge Bengals fan, and are frustrated, but I think if you lived in any of those 4 cities and were a fan of that team, you'd take Daulton in a heartbeat.
January 6, 201412 yr No chance on God's green earth I'd take Pryor over Dalton. Come on now, this is getting to be a load of manure. He had a bad game, but he's not on that level. Please!!
January 6, 201412 yr Even now I'm taking Eli over Dalton any day of the week. I would too. I don't know what happened to make him so bad this year but he's earned another year before I would make any move on Eli.
January 6, 201412 yr Really?? No way he's bottom 5. For sure, Freeman, Schaub, Vick, Bradford, Wheedan (or whoever Cleveland runs out there), Pryor, Gabbert, Smith and Ponder, Manuel, are lesser QB's. Is Daulton going to ever be a star?? No. But take your emotions out of this and look around, and there are no better available options right now. I absolutely believe the Bengals should looking very hard at drafting the next Franchise type QB this year in the draft. But Daulton has to be your man at the beginning of next season. Any other current QB you could get would be a step backward. And I can guarantee if you cut Daulton loose, he'll be starting somewhere for somebody next season. Doubt a franchise quarterback is available where the Bengals will be drafting this year. We're between a rock and a hard place.
January 6, 201412 yr You mean take an injured players whose first and second strengths are running and is a "me" guy? No. Pass. I'll ride with Dalton. I don't disagree about RGIII but listening to Dalton's press conference after the game yesterday he sure came across as a "me" guy as well. He wanted no part of the blame for the loss.
January 6, 201412 yr I don't disagree about RGIII but listening to Dalton's press conference after the game yesterday he sure came across as a "me" guy as well. He wanted no part of the blame for the loss. I know a lot is being made about that press conference but I could easily see Dalton wording things the way he did because he wanted to be a team guy and not an it's about me thing. He sure did a poor job of it if that was his thought process. The press conference doesn't bother me. The poor decisions under pressure in games is what bothers me.
January 6, 201412 yr I hope the red uni-brow sticks out of the helmet for the Bengals for the next 5-7 yrs.
January 6, 201412 yr No chance on God's green earth I'd take Pryor over Dalton. Come on now, this is getting to be a load of manure. He had a bad game, but he's not on that level. Please!! The only person going off that deep end is Hellbird. Anyone who rates Dalton outside the top 20 is not being realistic. He clearly has problems but he does have a lot of positives and the stats that prove that is true. That being said, I think almost all of us agree with HB in doubting whether Dalton is capable of winning playoff games.
January 7, 201412 yr The only person going off that deep end is Hellbird. . He's plunged waaaaay over.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.