Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Southwestern Coach Stephens Resigns

Featured Replies

In his defense, Stephens did end up with the job as a replacement due to the Dale Anderson situation. But the administration could have made the move earlier than this year if they felt it necessary so apparently they were okay with him, at least for the short term.

 

And, he took them to the 5A Semi-Finals in his interim season. I guess that was good for two more years.

  • Replies 40
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
And, he took them to the 5A Semi-Finals in his interim season. I guess that was good for two more years.
He did take them to the semis but it was Coach Andersons team and assistants that got them there.. After the season Stephens got rid of all assistants and anything associated with the Warrior program before his arrival and completely shut out all past boosters, supporters and alumni... Not a good decision.
He did take them to the semis but it was Coach Andersons team and assistants that got them there.. After the season Stephens got rid of all assistants and anything associated with the Warrior program before his arrival and completely shut out all past boosters, supporters and alumni... Not a good decision.

 

That is exactly what I was told to from people more familiar with SW. Basically was told Stephens handled the day to day administration stuff, while a few of the assistant actually handled the game planning.

He did take them to the semis but it was Coach Andersons team and assistants that got them there.. After the season Stephens got rid of all assistants and anything associated with the Warrior program before his arrival and completely shut out all past boosters, supporters and alumni... Not a good decision.

With all due respect, with the accusations on the table with the Anderson deal, who would blame anyone for letting all his assistants go.

  • Author

Accusations was all there was.. But if a new coach wants to clean house, that's his decision and I'm fine with that.. You just can't recruit your entire staff from the pee-wee ranks and expect to be successful..

That is exactly what I was told to from people more familiar with SW. Basically was told Stephens handled the day to day administration stuff, while a few of the assistant actually handled the game planning.

 

You mean to tell me he actually had people to call the offense and defense (we will call them coordinators) and he did all the administrative stuff (we will call that everything else)?? Absurd! I can assure you, MANY head coaches wish they had that luxury. What do you think the coaches at most MAJOR programs do? They allow their coaches to coach the kids and they coach their coaches. Im not saying he was or wasn't right for the program....but after Coach Anderson who would have wanted the job?

Just hope they get a very strong coach too much talent in the area to not get a great coach, plus second to none facilities.

Since Chuck Smith is on every other thread why not SWHS, great facilities, it will count for his teachers retirement and from what I know there is alot of talented athletes in the school.

You mean to tell me he actually had people to call the offense and defense (we will call them coordinators) and he did all the administrative stuff (we will call that everything else)?? Absurd! I can assure you, MANY head coaches wish they had that luxury. What do you think the coaches at most MAJOR programs do? They allow their coaches to coach the kids and they coach their coaches. Im not saying he was or wasn't right for the program....but after Coach Anderson who would have wanted the job?

 

 

I am not trying to insult you or this board but I am just going on what I know. Trust me I know a a lot about SW bc of the people I know. I am just telling you the facts.

 

Yes, the TOP programs as you so sarcastically put it have OC/DC coaches who do this and the HC does the admin things. At those TOP schools does the HC know what Offense is going to be ran each week? Does the HC at those TOP schools know what Defense is going to be ran each week? Yes they do, IN this case Stephens a lot of times didn't know and didn't care to know. Again, I don't expect you to listen or believe me and I understand your point but in this case it wasn't the case.

 

And after Anderson, haha You'd be surprised on who inquired about that job but wasn't given the opportunity.

Any names yet?

I just hear there is a long list of applicants so far...

Since Chuck Smith is on every other thread why not SWHS, great facilities, it will count for his teachers retirement and from what I know there is alot of talented athletes in the school.

 

 

What about his son, Brandon Smith? I hear he is turning into a fine coach himself. Would he get a shot if he applied? Is he close enough to Chuck?

 

 

FWIW, I am hearing that Chuck's wife loves her job and the Lexington area. Not sure how true that is or if it is a sticking point in whatever job Chuck may or may not apply for but those are some of the things I hear around the way here in Boyle County.

^^^ another factor with Chuck, but he is going to be hard pressed to find a higher paying district than Bardstown. They are one of the tops in the state. I would dare to say that he is probably making more teaching and as an assistant there than he wouls teaching and being a HC at 90% of other places.

 

When you are around 55, have won 5 State Titles, coached in the SEC and have a few years left before you can draw your full retirement...the ole' "whats most important right now in this stage of my life" plays a factor.

This may be off the subject and I apologize in advance but what exactly is Chuck Smith doing right now? I've heard so many different things about his role in Bardstown. Can anyone say what it is? Officially?

He is the DC at Bardstown...he is teaching (what I don't know).

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.