November 29, 201312 yr Serious question on the black letter law though, if you are knocked out and someone robs you, like is being reported in some of these cases, wouldn't the commission of a felony like robbery change the game up as well? I'd imagine that in lots of states, the protecting your person/property from robbery would justify the shooting. If you get knocked out, the scenario changes and you aren't defending yourself or your property, b/c you are unconcious. Now, if you don't get knocked out, it is to a reasonable person standard. I would think that robbery almost always entails some sort of deadly weapon, so it would be a wash.
November 29, 201312 yr WOW.. Sharpton actually mans up and calls this game exactly what it is.... Racist thuggery...Civil Rights Leader Al Sharpton Calls Knockout Games ?Insane Thuggery? | ReaganCoalition.com
November 29, 201312 yr If you get knocked out, the scenario changes and you aren't defending yourself or your property, b/c you are unconcious. Now, if you don't get knocked out, it is to a reasonable person standard. I would think that robbery almost always entails some sort of deadly weapon, so it would be a wash. Gotcha. I think Texas has a much more lax standard in this area as far as robbery goes and when you are justified in firing one off, but didn't know how it was in other states.
November 30, 201312 yr Serious question on the black letter law though' date=' if you are knocked out and someone robs you, like is being reported in some of these cases, wouldn't the commission of a felony like robbery change the game up as well? I'd imagine that in lots of states, the protecting your person/property from robbery would justify the shooting.[/quote'] You cannot use deadly force to protect mere property alone.
November 30, 201312 yr And I don't disagree with you. If i'm attacked and still have enough of my wits about me, there's a good chance I'm going after the guy with not so good intent whether he is walking away or not. I'm also not an attorney or officer of the law, so I really don't know how it would play out in court. My thought is it would be tough to prosecute someone who reacted with deadly force as a result of being attacked in this situation, regardless of whether the attacker was walking away or not. I like my chances with a jury of my peers.
December 2, 201312 yr You cannot use deadly force to protect mere property alone. I understand that, but different states have different laws and jury instructions if I were guessing. If you are close enough to shoot someone, you are probably able to make a good case of being in fear for your own safety if you are close enough to identify the person.
December 2, 201312 yr You cannot use deadly force to protect mere property alone. In KY you can only use deadly force to protect property if it is preventing someone from setting your home on fire. In Texas you can use deadly force to protect property if the value is over a certain amount. There was a case where a guy in Texas was found not guilty for shooting and killing a prostitute after she took the fee for services but refused to provide services and tried to run for it. He was guilty for trying to hire a prostitute but not for murder.
December 2, 201312 yr Author WOW.. Sharpton actually mans up and calls this game exactly what it is.... Racist thuggery...Civil Rights Leader Al Sharpton Calls Knockout Games ?Insane Thuggery? | ReaganCoalition.com You arent allowed to mention Al Sharpton.
December 3, 201312 yr Dumb law. Really? A guy throws a rock threw my window I should be able to end him for that? Dude wants to steal my truck and car-jack me, I should be able to whack him for that? Interesting.
December 3, 201312 yr Really? A guy throws a rock threw my window I should be able to end him for that? Dude wants to steal my truck and car-jack me, I should be able to whack him for that? Interesting. Agree on the rock. I'm shooting an armed car-jacker.
December 4, 201312 yr Agree on the rock. I'm shooting an armed car-jacker. The key is armed. At that point the law would recognize your life is in danger and you would be permitted to fire away. On the other hand, if an unarmed person was in your car trying to disengage the steering column lock to steal your car and you shot him, you would be in jail longer than he would.
December 4, 201312 yr The key is armed. At that point the law would recognize your life is in danger and you would be permitted to fire away. On the other hand, if an unarmed person was in your car trying to disengage the steering column lock to steal your car and you shot him, you would be in jail longer than he would. He'd be an idiot because there's a .45 in the console. However, if he was doing what you said, he'd be prone with the one I carry in his back or if he escaped, there would be no reason to shoot. But he'd know I'd been there.
December 4, 201312 yr I like my chances with a jury of my peers. I think this is what it would ultimately boil down to. If a perpetrator is found guilty in Court, on his way out of the courtroom a bailiff should coldcock him from behind.
December 4, 201312 yr Really? A guy throws a rock threw my window I should be able to end him for that? Dude wants to steal my truck and car-jack me, I should be able to whack him for that? Interesting. Stay the hell off my property and you have nothing to worry about. What if your rock hits my kid in the head causing permanent damage? I have NO patience/tolerance/etc for this kind of garbage and I really don't feel like someone who is doing these types of criminal activities should be protected by the law.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.