Scott Co.77 Cov.Catholic 71

KHSB1

Sure, if you buy into moral victories. I tend to think of it this way: You had a 9 pt lead early in the 4th qtr AT HOME and failed to hold it against a team made up of mainly SOPHS and JRs.

Scott County is good - not great - beatable by good teams as they've shown against Bryan Station and Henry Clay.

Or you could look at it and say that you are a regional contender and had a state contender on the ropes, and you just need to find a way to finish the job... a lot probably came out of this loss for CCH that shows them where they are compared to the best in the state and what they need to do to be where Scott County is, which is at the top...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys and myself come from two different schools of thought.

The day that Covington Catholic is pleased with a loss and content with where they are is the day that I'll quit cheering for them. Hopefully that will never happen.

They can learn a lot from a game like that is what I am saying... Don't be content... but don't hang your head either...

Scott Co also beat Station and Henry Clay earlier by almost the same scores that Scott Co was beaten by. Thats what you get from a young team. Very beatable by a team as good as them. Also hard to beat when they play well.

Not much talk about the players and the game yet so I'll try to help.

1. Scott Co. came out on fire and might have intimidated CCH at first but that didn't last very long. CCH was down by 12 at least in the 1st half and got it to 8 at the half.

2. The 3rd quarter press CCH put on was amazing. Scott Co was passing it to Timmy, Joey, and Todd like they were wearing red uniforms. It was like a point shaving incident going on :D Has SC ever seen a press?????

3. Timmy led the Colonels with 22 and Haddix had a game high 26. Haddix is a beast. Danny Noll played very well again.

4. I thought Michael Young played pretty well tonight. He had been struggling, but played with some confidence tonight. Good rebounding and some key steals. Also hit some big FT to keep CCH rolling during the big Colonel run. Keep playing hard stick, you'll be fine.

5. Todd had 8 points at the half. I don't know how many he ended up with but Scott Co was on him like glue. Hardly found an open shot.

6. Referees were bad. Bad on both sides. WAKE UP FANS, ITS 9TH REGION BASKETBALL REFEREES. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT!!!

They should have asked Rob Allen to stay after the JV game and help out. Usually don't see the best referee in 9th, maybe ever, doing a JV game. Please Come Back ROB, the boys need your help

7.Scott Co will have a hard time making to the state tourny. Lots of teams are going to be gunning for them, and they don't seem to handle pressure very well.

8. Hey Hicks, are you still crying? :cry: He cries more than Niemi at Ryle. Deserved a T.

9. Why doesn't Scott Co pound the ball into Haddix more often? They did the last quarter and that won them the game. Never saw him post up other than the 4th quarter.

10. The crowd was a good size. I'm sure it would have been bigger on a Friday Night. Scott Co fans got an average dose of CovCath Students. If they thought that was harassment they should show up for a rivalry game. Mackie and Haddix didn't know how to handle the boys in Blue, the literally were in the boys heads.

Not much talk about the players and the game yet so I'll try to help.

1. Scott Co. came out on fire and might have intimidated CCH at first but that didn't last very long. CCH was down by 12 at least in the 1st half and got it to 8 at the half.

CCH had the ball down 6. 2 TOs later with no shots at the rim, they're down 8 at the half. Mental lapses hurt.

Good hustle by CCH tonight. I liked them attacking the basket. It was nice to see them come out in the 3rd qtr and get the backdoor play going.

Great point about the backdoor plays. Timmy and Todd just seemed to keep finding Danny going backdoor all night. Nice looks, Nice cuts, Nice passes.

CCH fans have been known to blame the refs for losses or close games and criticize me for making excuses but the refs handed Scott Co. this game. It was the worst officiating I have ever seen. Guarding a player underneath the basket by merely putting your hands up and doing nothing else is not a foul and the refs called at least 5 or 6 of these that resulted in 2 free throws or an and 1. And there was also a call where the Scott County player was on the ground at the free throw line, they blew the whistles and he jumped afterwards and the refs gave him the bucket and the foul Don't get me wrong they made a few bad calls going the Colonels way, but they made soo many bad calls that took the momentum away from CCH. It was a great game until about 7 minutes left when the refs decided they liked Scott Co. more. Okay, bring on the criticism.

:sleep:

CovCath's main problem was, as cshs81 said, stopping the penetration in the mid to late 4th quarter. They prevent two and-1 layups and they win the game.

CCH showed a lot tonight, maybe to earn a little statewide recognition. Especially with the Holmes loss, this could be the top team in the 9th region, regardless of what happened against Highlands a few weeks ago. The Colonels have improved more than any other team in this state since the beggining of February.

Hats off to Scott Co. with great players, great fans, and obviously Coach Hicks is a great coach. To get his team back from down 9 with the place absoulutely rockin for CovCath is a superb job.

I would love to know why you think CCH has improved more than anyone. Face it they lost to the Birds in their home gym in front of the Cov Cath Crazies, they lost to Holmes, they lost to Scott County. Let's compare notes on the way Cov Cath ends their seasons - Ryle, Frankfort, and Brossart. Highlands ends with Holy Cross, Pendleton Co. and Shelby County and also Boone. But three out of four of these teams will be tough. Two ranked in the top 10 right now. Until CCH prevails over HHS this year they are not the better team.

Sure, if you buy into moral victories. I tend to think of it this way: You had a 9 pt lead early in the 4th qtr AT HOME and failed to hold it against a team made up of mainly SOPHS and JRs.

Scott County is good - not great - beatable by good teams as they've shown against Bryan Station and Henry Clay.

I agree. Cov Cath played ok but still need to be able to step up and beat someone. I thought they were headed in the right direction. (Or maybe I just hoped they were) There is something missing from this team. I looked at this game as a measuring stick. They seem to be winning the games they are supposed to and loosing the games they are supposed to. See what happens against Bishop Brossart :confused: :confused:

CCH fans have been known to blame the refs for losses or close games and criticize me for making excuses but the refs handed Scott Co. this game. It was the worst officiating I have ever seen. Guarding a player underneath the basket by merely putting your hands up and doing nothing else is not a foul and the refs called at least 5 or 6 of these that resulted in 2 free throws or an and 1. And there was also a call where the Scott County player was on the ground at the free throw line, they blew the whistles and he jumped afterwards and the refs gave him the bucket and the foul Don't get me wrong they made a few bad calls going the Colonels way, but they made soo many bad calls that took the momentum away from CCH. It was a great game until about 7 minutes left when the refs decided they liked Scott Co. more. Okay, bring on the criticism.

do you whine after every CCHS lose a game next time ill bring the cheese

do you whine after every CCHS lose a game next time ill bring the cheese

CCH will not be able to press Scott they are to quick on the wing with Mackey and Haddix and they both can finish

I guess we found out last night that CovCath can press, and although Scott County won last night, they had better learn to play better against a press, if they plan on going far into the tournament.....

Random thoughts:

1. Scott County was the better team.

2. CCHS had every chance in the world to win this game in the 4th and didn't put it away. Tied 66-66 with 2:00 to play and then "let" the Cards run off 7 straight. Tough.

3. Tierney finished stronger at the rim than I have seen him in his time at CCH. He scored 90% of his points at the rim on transition baskets, and many were contested. He played exceptionally well.

4. Point #3 actually got some emotion out of NKYBoy1487...saw him spring to his feet a time or two. That was good to see. :D

5. Haddix was the best player on the floor by a wide margin.

6. #14 for Scott Co. is a good player, reminds me a lot of Arrez Henderson of Holmes. Thin, long, tall (taller than Arrez), and unbelievable hops.

7. The officiating had nothing to do with the outcome and it is embarrassing that it was even brought up.

8. I have ZERO problem with the way Coach Hicks coaches his team, nor with his "antics" on the sideline. CCH's coach isn't exactly stoic.

9. Disappointing crowd. Students were okay, but overall, that gym was FAR from capacity. Kudos to cshs81 for tabbing that in the preview thread.

10. TJ, and I know he draws a lot of attention, can't get so visibly frustrated out there.

11. #2 for Scott Co. has a nice mid-range game. He hit several 8 - 12 foot jumpers, over Colonels, down the stretch.

12. Roch(e?) was outstanding before the game.

13. Outcome was exactly what I thought it would be.

14. Highlands is absolutely ahead of CCH, heck they beat them at home for goodness sake. Not to say the next game couldn't go the other way, because it could, but at this point they deserve their spot above the Colonels in the useless polls and rankings.

15. Scott Co. will find the 11th Region Tourney much tougher sledding than that of the 8th (yes, I know, duh). That Region (11) is loaded.

16. Wish Scott Co. and their fans the best of luck the rest of the way, they could be playing on Saturday at Rupp, or out in the Regional tourney, and neither would surprise me much.

Oh BTW (2) Coach Hicks has to be the biggest whiner in the Commonwealth among the High Coaches. He was all over the court crying and whining like a little kid. I can understand doing it sometime but gee from the first minute to the last minute all he did was whine and cry! When you have a top ten team, and have the players that Scott County does, the crying and whining isn't really neccessary all the time, is he doing it to show the Scott County fans that he is into the game or what? Now understand, sometimes it is neccassry but gee........

I would argue that it has served him well up to this point and could he be much worse than the guy on the other bench last night. :banana: