Scott Co.77 Cov.Catholic 71

KHSB1

Did Coach Hicks get a technical tonight. A good referee will let you know if there is to much whining and they will slap him with one. I just love his intensity and how much he fights for his kids. Like him or dislike him he is still one of the Commonwealths best hands down.

He is a great coach, and no he didn't get a "T" tonight, but I think that is because he is, who he is (understand?). If he were a young coach, or one from a so/so team, he would have gotten a "T" from a "Ninth Region ref" as they like to control the game and the coaches.....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great game. The refs had nothing to do with the outcome. Cov Cath played good. They got beat by a better team. Scott Co. is a good YOUNG team. Scott Co. had no seniors on the floor most of the night. Sophmores and juniors are the key players on that team. The point guard was a senior but he was so so. This team is going to be very good next year. They were more athletic than the Colonels. Good game colonels, Scott Co. is just a better team in my opinion.

I am sure noting two of the states best teams they had some quality refs assigned to this game. You don't see many rookies in these type of games. It doesn't matter who you are if they deserve a tech then give it to them.

Great points above. The refs had nothing to do with the outcome. Cov Cath played good. They got beat by a better team. Scott Co. is a good YOUNG team. Scott Co. had no seniors on the floor most of the night. Sophmores and juniors are the key players on that team. The point guard was a senior but he was so so. This team is going to be very good next year. They were more athletic than the Colonels. Good game colonels, Scott Co. is just a better team in my opinion.

True they are young but Thompson (the 5"11 guard) played most of the game but he is their only senior.

Scott Co. is the better team but I think that they are very beatable by anyone in the top 20.

There is no doubt after tonight that Cov Cath has the best student section. I will say that Scott Co's student section will rock on Saturday win the Knights of Lex. Cath play at Georgetown in front of 3000 fans.

Gee if you thought the CovCath Carzies were good tonight, you should have seen them with a full house against Highlands, outstanding!!

BTW Tony Roch did a great job singing the National Athem tonight. For those who don't know, Tony is the Place Kicker for CovCath and holds the school record of 50 yards. He not only has a great leg, but even a better voice.....

CovCath should have known better than to schedule a game on Feb 14. Luckily for me I have been married forever and my wife understand how much I love Basketball, but I will have to make it up big time Saturday night. ;)

You had to be strong going to the basket. Scott County contests EVERYTHING at the rim. TJ got stripped once tonight and if he hadn't there were two guys waiting to swat his shot. They overplay the passing lanes, are very effective at stripping the ball, and you get no free shots.

Haddix blocked one shot so hard that I think there is a dent in the glass.

CovCath should have known better than to schedule a game on Feb 14. Luckily for me I have been married forever and my wife understand how much I love Basketball, but I will have to make it up big time Saturday night. ;)

I know two guys that handled this by taking their brides to lunch today. We call that a "win win" sitch.

The cheering section was pretty loud for being about 2/3 or so capacity. The refs played a very small role in this game, things won't go your way sometimes, that's it. This game doesn't mattter. It's not a district or region game for either team. It was simply a measuring stick and an opportunity to get exposure. Phenominal atmosphere and even better game. Hats off to both teams for battling back after deficits.

From everything I read... this is not a loss to be ashamed of for CovCath... especially with what Holmes did tonight...

Not in the least bit. CCH had a top 5 team on the ropes, but came up short at the end. SC is a great team, one of the best I've seen this year in person, and most likely the best team CCH has faced thus far.

From everything I read... this is not a loss to be ashamed of for CovCath... especially with what Holmes did tonight...

Sure, if you buy into moral victories. I tend to think of it this way: You had a 9 pt lead early in the 4th qtr AT HOME and failed to hold it against a team made up of mainly SOPHS and JRs.

Scott County is good - not great - beatable by good teams as they've shown against Bryan Station and Henry Clay.

I remember couple years ago CCH fans blaming the refs @ Scott Co. Now you blame them at home?

I was not at the game tonight, but I can say that the officiating a few years back at Scott Co. was poor.

Anyway, on to tonight's game...

Does anyone have any stats for either team?

While this was a good showing for the Colonels, they need to win these games. I have a hard time believing that anyone in the CCH program is happy with tonight's performance, especially after blowing a 10 point lead.

The best news is that they most likely will not face a team of Scott Co.'s caliber (in a meaningful game) unless they reach the state tournament...especially if Rice is done at Holmes.

Here's what I took from the game:

Scott County has a terrible time with any type of zone press. Full court man to man they easily handle:they are too athletic and to quick up the floor to be pressured like this. However, when you don't allow them to "out run" your defense they become quite rattled. They have to sit back and make good decisions and it resulted in some errant passes and just some simple mistakes that Top 5 teams shouldn't make.

Scott County has a lot of maturing left to do if they want to win the war that is the 11th Region Tournament. They didn't take very good care of the ball in the second half and as soon as their hot shooting quit, CCH made their run. Scott County can run with anybody in the state, but too many times they got out of control. Also, their players reacted way too much with the CCH Student Section. Play the game. If 200 high school kids get to you, then you are further from Rupp than you think. By the end of the night you could tell that they were a young team who could use some on-the-floor leadership.

CovCath played their most intense basketball of the year. If they can put 5 games in a row together like tonight than the 9th Region is theirs. Now, if it is going to take a Top 5 team like Scott County to come into your gym for you to play at that level, then you could be looking at an opening round district loss to Holy Cross. With all that being said, I'm still not sure they played their best basketball tonight. Their shooting was off (except from the free throw line which was a pleasant surprise) and too many times they dribbled into the corner, got 1/4 of the way down the baseline, jumped out of bounds and had to make a low percentage pass back out to the top to save a potential turnover. You can't just heave the ball around on offense and expect to beat good teams.

It seems like CovCath is doing everything but pulling out the W in the end. Scott County shoots a perfect 5/5 from behind the arc in the 1st quarter, hopping out to a 10 point lead. They endured the 10 point first quarter defecite and kept within striking distance during the 2nd quarter to be able to come out at half and make a run. Consequently, they did what they had to do. They played aggressive defense, got some cheap buckets and got themselves back into the game. Eventually, they took the lead by 9 in the 4th only to have two straight bad possessions involving quick, low percentage shots letting the Cardinals make a final run to win the ball game. CCH has yet to put together a full 32 minutes of basketball. It's late February boys, time to dig deep and pull a game out.

Even after all the meaningless critiquing, as a fan and a Covington Catholic student, I left the game feeling I received more than my money's worth tonight. I enjoyed Scott County's parents interracting with us because that's what makes it fun and the atmosphere was just great. I hope we gave them something to write home about as well. It was a fun game to watch and hopefully these two teams meet again with a little more at stake.

Not in the least bit. CCH had a top 5 team on the ropes, but came up short at the end. SC is a great team, one of the best I've seen this year in person, and most likely the best team CCH has faced thus far.

You guys and myself come from two different schools of thought.

The day that Covington Catholic is pleased with a loss and content with where they are is the day that I'll quit cheering for them. Hopefully that will never happen.