Trouble at Rose Hill?

theguru

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, that is crazy, who ever heard of a person going from the 9th grade to the 8th grade, his mom is doing the absoutle opposite my mom would do, she is putting athletics over academics, what kind of message are you sending to your children, what happened to the good old days where you played in the district that you lived in and in the grade you should have been in, that is what makes stories like milan (in) (the hoosiers) so special they did it with home-grown boys and that is why i like teams who can win with what they got and don't need help from the outside, teams like lafayette (2001) and e-town (2000) did it the right way, am i way off base or is it absolutely riduclous to go from the 9th to the 8th grade, people need to realize this life is about progression, when i started going to high school i played b-ball agaisnt other high school kids, that makes since to me

I agree, I could see holding a kid back, but to send him back? LOL.. just some AAU coaches have so much influence its a joke!! A VERY good article in this mornings paper about Lebron James and SOME of the people in the summer AAU and camp business.. Having worked with Sonny Viscaro I know this to be the truth, it's ALL about HIM, not the player/kid, you can see this in the article, how HE found LeBron before anyone else heard of him.. Nothing but egos... Some of the AAU coaches are the same way, I run into it all the time, unfortunately all I see is OJ and Walker being used and spit out after they are done with them, hopefully for OJ and Walker they will not run into the same trouble Lebron has with investigations... Sometimes I can't believe a parent would listen to some of these ideas they bring up, like sending their kid back a year in school...

Walker could have played on a very good summer team with OJ, But again, SOME other AAU coaches don't care about the kids and feed them a bunch of junk and only use them :(

I can confirm the Guru's source. That is exactly what happened. My hat is off to the administration at Rose Hill for not being held hostage by an AAU coach. The facts are that Bill Walker is being used as a pawn by a group of adults. This is by far one of the most repulsive acts I have ever heard of. The real loser is Bill and he deserves better. Bill Walker's reputation continues to be tarnished because of an AAU coach's selfish pursuit of his own glory. Shame on his mother and the other individuals involve in this absolutely dispicable action. Good luck to Bill I hope he can eventually fine peace and happyness.

This will be his 5th school in two years. What college coach will not see this as a red flag if it continues?

i'm not sure if the game that i knew and loved exists anymore. i might rent Hoosiers this weekend and reflect on it. and maybe i'll rent Blue Chips to see what it's become.

sorry to sound so down. i just never thought about HOW prevalent all this junk has become. i remember playing my tail off on the playground with braces holding my knees together.....just because it was FUN.

RickyP your praise the Rose Hill administration and then in the same breath you speak of tarnished reptuations, dispicable actions by his mother, 5 schools in 2 years, and openly question why any coach would get involved with this kid.

Your comments appear more than a little self serving.

Maybe Rose Hill should have seen the writing on the wall just like you want future coaches to see. Maybe every basketball phenom that comes down the pike is not healthy for the team or school. Maybe this is one kid that Rose Hill should have passed on.

Davis, not once to RikcyP say he wanted coaches to pass on Walker. He stated that it would send up a redflag to college choices. RickyP also stated that he wished Bill Walker the best and hope he finds the peace and happiness that he is looking for. Rose Hill did the right thing by not allowing Walker to go back to the 8th grade b/c it was not in the student's best interest and Rose Hill always has and always will put the student above athletics.

Originally posted by LRCW

Davis, not once to RikcyP say he wanted coaches to pass on Walker. He stated that it would send up a redflag to college choices. RickyP also stated that he wished Bill Walker the best and hope he finds the peace and happiness that he is looking for. Rose Hill did the right thing by not allowing Walker to go back to the 8th grade b/c it was not in the student's best interest and Rose Hill always has and always will put the student above athletics.

Yes, RickyP did stick in a token best wishes to BW just after praising Rose Hill and questioning everything else about the kid.

Did Rose Hill make no mistakes? The kid had the same mom before he came to Rose Hill, I am sure the kid had a reptuation (good or bad) that coach Hall knew about, I would guess that the fact that the kid had been to 4 schools in the last two years before coming to RH was a common fact. I don't think it would have been too much for Rose Hill to connect the dots and if they had they might have drawn a conclusion about whether this was a healthy fit. I would guess that coach Smith at Oak Hill has realized that eveyone who walks his doors that has basketball talent isn't a healthy fit for his program. Rose Hill needs to learn the same lesson.

Rose Hill is pressed for number as it is, I really doubt they would pass on a talent such as Bill Walker. I think if you were in the same position you would have taken Walker in. Plus, part of a coach's job is shaping young men to become good men as they become older. Perhaps if Hall knew of Walker's past, he had hoped to help the young man and give him a home at Rose Hill. To dismiss a kid b/c of his past at such a young age is a tough thing to do. People realize that the kid is immature, and i'm sure that Bill himself would like to still be playing ball. Nobody likes to end a season prematurely. I just hope for his sake that we dont have another Iverson or Lebron's mom coming up in Walker's mother.

I am not going to bash Rose Hill, because stuff like this goes on all the time in High School basketball. When is the KHSAA going to put limitations on eligibility such as transfers and being held back? It's not just private schools that have things like this go on. I mean, how fair is it for Morgan Co. to get an exchange student, that is talented, to just start playing in the middle of the season. Not to mention, his host family has ties to the basketball team. I think the KHSAA needs to change some of it's rules. There needs to be some boundries for the benefit of everyone involved.

Originally posted by Davis

Yes, RickyP did stick in a token best wishes to BW just after praising Rose Hill and questioning everything else about the kid.

Did Rose Hill make no mistakes? The kid had the same mom before he came to Rose Hill, I am sure the kid had a reptuation (good or bad) that coach Hall knew about, I would guess that the fact that the kid had been to 4 schools in the last two years before coming to RH was a common fact. I don't think it would have been too much for Rose Hill to connect the dots and if they had they might have drawn a conclusion about whether this was a healthy fit. I would guess that coach Smith at Oak Hill has realized that eveyone who walks his doors that has basketball talent isn't a healthy fit for his program. Rose Hill needs to learn the same lesson.

This story has much more to it from a few years back. I do not feel at liberty to go into details, but I can ASSURE you that ROSE HILL has made ONLY RIGHT choicies when it comes to Bill. Anyone feeling a need to question RH desicions, best keep quiet because all the info on this is not public record (and it shouldn't be) and when folks assume things without all the facts it suggests faulty conclusions and makes all parties involved, look bad. I am praying for Bill and those that continually try to use him for thier advantage. (You know, Bill is not the only young man that adults are taking advantage of)

Originally posted by Chaplain

This story has much more to it from a few years back. I do not feel at liberty to go into details, but I can ASSURE you that ROSE HILL has made ONLY RIGHT choicies when it comes to Bill. Anyone feeling a need to question RH desicions, best keep quiet because all the info on this is not public record (and it shouldn't be) and when folks assume things without all the facts it suggests faulty conclusions and makes all parties involved, look bad. I am praying for Bill and those that continually try to use him for thier advantage. (You know, Bill is not the only young man that adults are taking advantage of)

Chaplain I don't know the details and I admit that. However, no matter what the details are I know enough that I think it is self serving for RickyP to praise Rose Hill and then criciticize the young man. I really think that Rose Hill knew what they were getting into when landed BW. The circumstances didn't suddenly change.

BTW, you said you would pray for Bill Walker and the people that continually try to use him for their advantage. What seperates Rose Hill/Jeff Hall from everyone else? Keep in mind that without basketball skill BW never steps foot into a KY classroom and no one in Ashland will have ever heard his name.

Originally posted by theguru

Ok, here goes, I got the same facts on this from two people I trust. Bottom line is, I think Rose Hill did the right thing.

Bill Walker wants to play on the same AAU team as OJ this summer and win a national championship. Only problem is that Walker would be passing the 9th grade and wouldn't be able to play on the 8th graders team like OJ. So Walker's mother and AAU coach wanted Rose Hill to place Walker in the 8th grade this semester. Seeing that he just passed one semester of his 9th grade year, Rose Hill would not do it. So Walker is leaving Rose Hill for any school that will put him in the 8th grade. He'll finish his 8th grade year this year wherever he goes and will play on OJ's AAU team.

That scenario just blows my mind. Incredible. Why doesn't OJ just "play up" a grade? Heck, he's been doin' it for two years at Rose Hill.