Trouble at Rose Hill?

theguru

in my opinion people who are very good at basketball especially in ky are puttin themselves in a situation that makes them sort of a minor celebrity, it isn't nearly as high as the level of people on the uk b-ball team but it is the same type thing, it seems to me that they get plenty of praise and everyone talks about them and likes them, but, on the other hand when something goes wrong they do pay the price, for example gerald fitch and eric daniels got into a little trouble last year that was all over the news and if that would have happened to a normal college student then it wouldn't have been a big deal, that is the price they pay for fame, i believe it is the same way in ky high school basketball, most high schoolers would love to be really good at basketball and have people pay to come and watch them, that is every little boys dream in ky to be the representing your school and your community but like it or not, when you put on that uniform you will be put under the microscope (especially if you are good, play for a team with a lot of tradition and play in an area where b-ball is popular) look at lebron james he is awesome at basketball and famous but he has cameras around him all the time that is the price you pay, you can't have the best of both worlds, my advice to people is to enjoy your days in high school basketball because most people would love to be in your shoes

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Davis

Chaplain I don't know the details and I admit that. However, no matter what the details are I know enough that I think it is self serving for RickyP to praise Rose Hill and then criciticize the young man.

I didn't think that Ricky was criticizing Bill. Maybe his family and his coach, but not him.

I really think that Rose Hill knew what they were getting into when landed BW. The circumstances didn't suddenly change.

Rose Hill gives all kids second and third and fourth chances, whether they play ball or not. Going any further into that one would be inappropriate. I wish I could say more.

BTW, you said you would pray for Bill Walker and the people that continually try to use him for their advantage. What seperates Rose Hill/Jeff Hall from everyone else?

I see no one from RH using Bill. If that were the case, would they not have made every effort to keep Bill?... Including sending him back to the 9th grade?

Keep in mind that without basketball skill BW never steps foot into a KY classroom and no one in Ashland will have ever heard his name.

You are correct, but no one from RH recuited Bill in the first place. And besides that he would still have been as welcome at Rose Hill than any other out-of-state, non-basketball-playing student that can agree to Rose Hill's entrance policy.

Originally posted by Chaplain

I didn't think that Ricky was criticizing Bill. Maybe his family and his coach, but not him.

You are missing the point.

Was it OK that he had been to four schools before Rose Hil or is it only 5 that sounds the alarm?

Did he have AAU coaches who were a negative influence before or did this just happen?

Did his Mom change?

My point is this. The things RickyP is criticizing are things the school probably knew all along. Maybe they finally stepped over the line of what was acceptable to school, but criticize this one action. To take it any further is what I deem self serving. It is like we had a comfort level with his mom, coach, history when he was playing basketball, but now that he's gone it is like there goes one bad apple and an equally bad posse surrounding him.

I don't need to know anything else about the history of BW to know that there was a silence from RickyP before this happened, but afterwords he suddenly has all sorts of problems with BW and the people surrounding him. You can't have it both ways.

Originally posted by Davis

You are missing the point.

Was it OK that he had been to four schools before Rose Hil or is it only 5 that sounds the alarm?

Did he have AAU coaches who were a negative influence before or did this just happen?

Did his Mom change?

My point is this. The things RickyP is criticizing are things the school probably knew all along. Maybe they finally stepped over the line of what was acceptable to school, but criticize this one action. To take it any further is what I deem self serving. It is like we had a comfort level with his mom, coach, history when he was playing basketball, but now that he's gone it is like there goes one bad apple and an equally bad posse surrounding him.

I don't need to know anything else about the history of BW to know that there was a silence from RickyP before this happened, but afterwords he suddenly has all sorts of problems with BW and the people surrounding him. You can't have it both ways.

It is possible that I am missing your point. It was not my opinion that RickyP was speaking ill of Bill. In any case, the personal lives and desisions of Rose Hill's students and parents in no way effect it's mission to accept and to teach any child. As a private institution, Rose Hill HAS and will continue to reject and/or dismiss students based on the criteria it has set forth. Basketballers or not. That criteria does not include AAU coaches, parents that put athetics before accademics and not even how many schools a student has attended in the past 4 years. (in which 2 of the 4 have been Rose Hill) In this case Rose Hill, AGAIN did what was right. (at least that is my opinion :D )

Again, I do not think that Ricky was being critical of Bill. But I'm sure he will speak for himself.

I don't understand why a player would want to play with players younger than him anyway! Why doesn't Mayo play on a freshman AAU team with Walker instead of Walker moving down? Heck, Mayo supposed to be a freshman anyway.

This all just bumfuzzles me!:confused: :confused: :confused:

A little info on this eligibilty thing. This 9th grade student has used two of the eight high school semesters he is allowed in KY. A student has to be enrolled in a semister for 6 weeks or play in one varsity game to loses a semester. He has. Two semesters count as a year of eligibilty. Also, according to Bylaw 4.enrollment, after a student has entered 4th grade he/she can not play in the same grade two consecutive years without losing a years eligibity in high school. As for Morgan County....! I think a player moved into their district this year, a player moved out. Players have moved into the region the last couple years. I don't think anyone from Morgan County went looking in Europe!

AAU Basketball eligibility is determined by Grade? In track its determined by birth year. It seems more logical to me. i can just imagine some of the cases of kids in the "wrong" grade playing against younger or less skilled players. How do you confirm this at the National level? :confused:

Originally posted by Chaplain

I And besides that he would still have been as welcome at Rose Hill than any other out-of-state, non-basketball-playing student that can agree to Rose Hill's entrance policy.

"In any case, the personal lives and desisions of Rose Hill's students and parents in no way effect it's mission to accept and to teach any child."

Careful old buddy these 2 statements contridict each other;)

I think this whole thing is petty to begin with. Rose Hill did the right thing. I'm sure that they are upset to lose the young man, BUT you never know what "parents" are going to do, and in this case the parent is wrong!!!!! Besides where do they hang those AAU National banners:rolleyes: I honest think a Kentucky State Basketball Championship is worth its weight in gold. What happens to the AAU trophey, or what ever they give out:confused: I guess they hang it up or put it on the mantle at the coaches house.:sssh:

My question is what about the kid??? As far as I'm concerned this AAU coach has nothing but HIMSELF in mind:rolleyes:

As a former student at Rose Hill, I have to say they made the right move by not allowing him to move back a grade. Life is about progression, not moving back to play one more year(then another, then another).

If Walker struggled academically, I could see holding him back a grade, but even then, he shouldnt have been playing basketball if that was the case.

In all honesty, I hope every school Walker tries to enroll at in the 8th grade will turn him down. I dont know if there is anything against doing so, but nobody should cave into what an AAU coach only obsessed about making his record better wants.

Originally posted by onetoya

"In any case, the personal lives and desisions of Rose Hill's students and parents in no way effect it's mission to accept and to teach any child."

Careful old buddy these 2 statements contridict each other;)

Yeah, I should have been more clear. Personal desisions HAVE had consequences on whether or not a child is accepted/rejected or even expelled. But those desisions will not, on the whole, prohibit the end goal of teaching ALL students. Thanks for the clarification.

I believe that RH will always have some questions that arise or be questioned for different types of problems, I know the circumstances as why and how they hired Jeff Hall, they did the past coach wrong when they got rid of him!!! Was this putting academics before atheletics by the RH administration??????

Originally posted by Rexinsco

I believe that RH will always have some questions that arise or be questioned for different types of problems, I know the circumstances as why and how they hired Jeff Hall, they did the past coach wrong when they got rid of him!!! Was this putting academics before atheletics by the RH administration??????

The hiring of Jeff Hall or not renewing the contract of the previous coach had nothing to do with academics. Neither Coach Polly or Coach Hall teach/taught at Rose Hill so it wasn't an academic decision therefore it had nothing to do with putting athletics before academics.

Originally posted by LRCW

The hiring of Jeff Hall or not renewing the contract of the previous coach had nothing to do with academics. Neither Coach Polly or Coach Hall teach/taught at Rose Hill so it wasn't an academic decision therefore it had nothing to do with putting athletics before academics.

Thank you LRCW. Rexinsco must NOT know all the circumstances. That issue is not public business anyway.