September 12, 201313 yr I also saw this: Miami Marlins shut down Jose Fernandez for the year Jose Fernandez threw his final innings for the year tonight for the Miami Marlins. The 20-year old rookie has reached his innings limit, but not before making a solid case to be the National League's Rookie of the Year. I am sure the 2014 Yankees approve of this!
September 12, 201313 yr Author That's what I was hoping the Braves would do, like they did to Bryce Harper, but I don't believe he was going to bat again since he had reached his quota of pitches (or whatever). I was watching that part of the game on the Marlins broadcast and their broadcasters did not condone what he did, but offered 2 possible excuses: (1) he's 21 years old (2) you don't know what led up to it. McCann was not trying to provoke Jose, in their opinion, rather, he was just telling the young player that you don't act like that in the bigs. The "skirmish" really wasn't ever very close IMO to escalating to anything physical. I have not seen what Jose said after the game. McCann was provoking IMO. It wasn't like he was saying, "hey buddy, can I give you some advice." McCann was chomping at the bit as soon as the kid got to home plate. Jose was very apologetic after the game. Announcers always follow the unwritten rules of baseball. It's an unwritten rule that they'll get fired if they don't follow them.
September 12, 201313 yr McCann was provoking IMO. It wasn't like he was saying, "hey buddy, can I give you some advice." McCann was chomping at the bit as soon as the kid got to home plate. Jose was very apologetic after the game. Announcers always follow the unwritten rules of baseball. It's an unwritten rule that they'll get fired if they don't follow them. I respectfully disagree with you about McCann's involvement. He isn't wired that way. Of course, I couldn't hear but it certainly did not look like McCann was yelling or in any way trying to be physical with the kid. As I said, the Marlins announcers completely exonerated McCann----at least right after it happened. Maybe they changed their minds later. I don't know.
September 12, 201313 yr McCann was doing his best Crash Davis..."don't show up my pitcher! Run dummie!"
September 12, 201313 yr Johnson was the one that it all started with. He was jawing with Fernandez early in the game, but I never heard why. Not sure if there some history there or not. Johnson showed what type of coward he is by sprinting in and then standing behind the ump. McCann simply told Fernandez he can't do that stuff, and Fernandez agreed and apologized. Johnson is the one that tried to make it into more than what it really was.
September 12, 201313 yr Author I respectfully disagree with you about McCann's involvement. He isn't wired that way. Of course, I couldn't hear but it certainly did not look like McCann was yelling or in any way trying to be physical with the kid. As I said, the Marlins announcers completely exonerated McCann----at least right after it happened. Maybe they changed their minds later. I don't know. I've only seen the highlight once and it just didn't look like a friendly conversation at first glance but I could be wrong.
September 12, 201313 yr Johnson was the one that it all started with. He was jawing with Fernandez early in the game, but I never heard why. Not sure if there some history there or not. Johnson showed what type of coward he is by sprinting in and then standing behind the ump. McCann simply told Fernandez he can't do that stuff, and Fernandez agreed and apologized. Johnson is the one that tried to make it into more than what it really was. Correct. Earlier in the game Fernandez got Johnson out. When Johnson was running down the line he was saying something to the pitcher. He then spit. My guess is that inspired the loogy from Fernandez as he was rounding third. As to McCann the kid said after the game that McCann was 100% right and talking to him as a veteran to a rookie(in an animated and agitated fashion) and not trying to start a fight. Kid says he likes McCann and is friendly with him. The one that looks the worst in this is Johnson. As someone said earlier don't play tough guy and then when you get your chance to get in another man's face you somehow let your teammates push you to the back and make no effort to get back. Faux toughness fails to impress me. Kid apologized in a presser after the game. Handled it perfectly. The loser in this is Johnson. Now as far as a "score" for the "watch" and the "bat flip" I'm giving the kid a 9.
September 12, 201313 yr Correct. Earlier in the game Fernandez got Johnson out. When Johnson was running down the line he was saying something to the pitcher. He then spit. My guess is that inspired the loogy from Fernandez as he was rounding third. As to McCann the kid said after the game that McCann was 100% right and talking to him as a veteran to a rookie(in an animated and agitated fashion) and not trying to start a fight. Kid says he likes McCann and is friendly with him. The one that looks the worst in this is Johnson. As someone said earlier don't play tough guy and then when you get your chance to get in another man's face you somehow let your teammates push you to the back and make no effort to get back. Faux toughness fails to impress me. Kid apologized in a presser after the game. Handled it perfectly. The loser in this is Johnson. Now as far as a "score" for the "watch" and the "bat flip" I'm giving the kid a 9. 9 out of what? You're endorsing his showing people up?
September 13, 201313 yr 9 out of what? You're endorsing his showing people up? Easy. I am not endorsing anything. However, if we're grading the quality of it it was high. Great bat toss.
September 13, 201313 yr Easy. I am not endorsing anything. However, if we're grading the quality of it it was high. Great bat toss. Exactly, if you hit one that far...I'll allow the bat flip.
September 13, 201313 yr Exactly, if you hit one that far...I'll allow the bat flip. .............which, of course, constitutes showing people up.
September 13, 201313 yr .............which, of course, constitutes showing people up. Then don't give up a jack.
September 13, 201313 yr Then don't give up a jack. Everyone who hits a homer has license to show people up? Don't think so.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.