Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

If you're Walt Jocketty...

Featured Replies

Jays are back in the race. Don't see them trading Lind.

 

They won't be for long

  • Replies 70
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lonnie Chisenhall (spelled correctly?) a possible option?

 

The Reds already have Lonnie Chisenhall.....They just call him Todd Frazier.

And are looking at the Reds' current situation, what do you do?

 

1.) Stand pat. Even with this minor losing scare and all the injuries we've suffered, the team is still on pace to win 92 games this year. We get Phillips back and 100% healthy, along with Broxton and Marshall, and we can stay the course until Ludwick gets back. Plus, the Cardinals and the Pirates BOTH can't win 100 games this year, can they?

Which is exactly what will happen.

2.) Look for a new left fielder. Ludwick's exact return date is still up in the air, plus nobody knows where he'll be (production-wise) when he does return. Might as well go ahead and get someone new in here now that can help drive in some runs right now.

I'd take Robinson right now as the everyday left fielder, lose Heisey somehow.

3.) Look for a new 3rd baseman. If you can't find a left fielder, move Frazier from 3rd into the outfield, and open a spot there.

Not sure how you upgrade there right now, especially financially, but I'll be dipped if I prefer him in LF.

4.) Bring up Billy Hamilton. Insert him into the leadoff spot playing center, and slide Choo down to 2nd and move him over to left. Sure, Hamilton may not be ready to hit .300 against major league pitching, but at least when he does get on, he's got a chance to help you manufacture a run. Plus, hopefully Choo can take advantage of having Votto hitting behind him better than Cozart has in the number 2 hole.

If Hamilton is an offensive upgrade from Robinson, make the move. Not a chance he's there yet.

5.) Shake things up in the coaching ranks. While Dusty may draw the ire of a lot of fans, the players seem to like playing for him. Removing him could cause an uproar with them. However, with the offense taking a lot of the heat for the current situation, would removing Jacoby be possible?

Price doesn't tell Homer to leave belt high sliders in the middle of the dish. Jaboby would win the Nobel prize for genetics if he could make Hanigan hit a baseball safely more than 1 out of 5 ABs.

6.) Make a move, if for nothing else, to make it look like you're trying to get better. It may be for a 3rd catcher, or just an extra bat off the bench. But, who's on your "untouchable" list of prospects and/or youngsters that you're unwilling to part with?

No prospects are untouchable, IMO, now that Cingrani is here.

All right BGP, have at it. But, keep it realistic. Teams in the hunt are not likely just going to give away their all-star, just because you want him. For example, you may want David Wright or Ryan Zimmerman playing 3rd for the Reds, but that's not happen. On the other hand, I think if the Phillies start to fade some more, someone like Michael Young (veteran with playoff experience) might be someone that you could "rent" to have down the stretch.

...

They won't be for long

 

I think they will

I think they will

 

They were unconscious for 2 weeks to get back to 500. They are last in the East. They have no chance.

They were unconscious for 2 weeks to get back to 500. They are last in the East. They have no chance.

 

They are 4 GB in the Wild Card with 3 months left. They were underachieving the first 2+ months.

They are 4 GB in the Wild Card with 3 months left. They were underachieving the first 2+ months.

 

I dont think They beat out the Orioles / Boston to win the division and get a wild card. I also dont see them beating out Oakland / Texas for the other wildcard. But that's besides the point. If they are out of contention by the deadline I want them to try and get those guys, especially Luop.

I would wait it out. They will be fine when everyone is healthy.

I would wait it out. They will be fine when everyone is healthy.

 

Offensively I agree. But the bullpen scares me

I would wait it out. They will be fine when everyone is healthy.

 

When's that going to be exactly?

Does anyone know how players who have recovered from injuries similar to Ludwick's have fared the remainder of the season?

Does anyone know how players who have recovered from injuries similar to Ludwick's have fared the remainder of the season?

 

Scott Rolen had a labrum tear on his shoulder in 2005 and his power never returned. I'm not sure his shoulder ever properly healed though given all the follow-up surgeries.

 

Troy Glaus same thing but I think he regained his power but it did take awhile.

 

Shawn Green recovered his power after the surgery in 2003.

 

Labrum's are very tricky. Rarely are pitchers the same after and obviously hitters are hit and miss. To count on Ludwick returning to his typical form would be foolish.

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 32m

I think the #Reds #1 Trade Target should be Jesse Crain #WhiteSox

  • Author
JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 32m

I think the #Reds #1 Trade Target should be Jesse Crain #WhiteSox

 

Interesting. I hadn't really put an option out there for pitching, but in light of tonight's game, you have to feel uneasy about Cueto the rest of the year. So, if you're looking for a pitcher, I could see two possible options...

 

1.) Cingrani moves into Cueto's slot as he has before. Meaning you have a spot open in the pen. Given the uncertainty of Broxton's and Marshall's status, and the recent shakiness of LeCure...adding another solid reliever makes good sense.

 

2.) Keep Cingrani in the pen. He gives you a viable left-hand presence there before Chapman, and the fact that he's pretty much a one-pitch pitcher can be minimized. Also, with the way Leake has been pitching for the most part (and I apologize in advance for the 7 runs he gives up in 3 1/3 innings tomorrow), you don't necessarily HAVE to trade for someone's #1. Let Latos assume that role, and get in another decent #2 or #3 guy. (Someone that's a lefty wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, either.)

I've always wanted to see Michael Young play for the Reds. He's well past his prime, but he would be a solid addition to the ballclub. He's going to be a free agent this offseason, so the Phillies would likely be open to trading him.

 

Young is also affordable. Although he is making $16 million this year, the Rangers are paying $10 million. Assuming Texas will continue to pay $10 million, the Reds would only be on the hook for about $3 million (give or take).

 

The Red Sox and Yankees have interest in Young as well.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.