June 7, 201313 yr Change your Facebook privacy settings and you'll be fine. Copy and paste it and pass it on so everyone else can get their privacy back also. :lol: I doubt privacy setting on Facebook matter at all. I strongly assume everything on Facebook is the property of Facebook. In other words, Facebook is free to sell/share all of your information with anyone they want to.
June 7, 201313 yr But where does it stop? As someone mentioned, just look at the IRS scandal. Someone, or some agency could dislike your political views and go in and find any little thing they don't like. There has to be accountability. I understand your concern, but it just doesn't bother me. Many more things concern me more than this.
June 7, 201313 yr I understand your concern, but it just doesn't bother me. Many more things concern me more than this. So you are ok with Gestapo style tactics?
June 7, 201313 yr For those of you upset that the government gets data from cell carriers, Facebook, etc....you know companies get data too...right.
June 7, 201313 yr Right or wrong, I have always assumed they see/hear everything from home phone calls, cell calls, texts and anything on the internet including email. That's why I only lay out my plan to take over the world face-to-face.
June 7, 201313 yr Author My thoughts exactly, though I'd like to add any fan of The Wire worth their salt knows you don't talk business over the phone! I just saw where David Simon addressed this issue: David Simon | We are shocked, shocked? It's polemical, but he does make some fair points. I have a few quick disagreements. First, he compares what is happening here to what police have done for a long time, which is obtain warrants to conduct more pronounced investigation. He uses public pay phones in Baltimore as an analog of this happening previously with no fanfare. To that I say what is happening here is fundamentally different. "Warrants" are issued, but they are issued by a secret court with different standards than our typical courts. This is just too different to make a simple comparison. And it is something that has been passed by Congresses and signed by two different presidents. There is a clear "fix." Second, many of us criticizing this aren't being hyperbolic. We know the government isn't eavesdropping on phone calls and we know they are collecting the "metadata." But that doesn't mean accountability should be ignored and awareness of not only what is happening but the legal apparatus underpinning it shouldn't be valued. I think it's fallacious to say the government shouldn't be criticized and scrutinized just because Nineteen-Eighty Four hasn't been fully realized. Lastly, he dismisses what can be done with this data. "How many FBI agents do you think they have?" But, with the right software and algorithms you wouldn't need many to run a very sophisticated monitoring operation. I posted a link earlier demonstrating one example of this. And with the other mentions of internet activity and credit card purchases there's quite a bit of personal data that can be gleaned and pieced together without gaining a more specific warrant (to my knowledge). The additional fear is that once these things are created, they are going to be used. I would think someone as tuned into and critical of the War on Drugs as David Simon would have ready examples of this kind of escalation and cross-purposing.
June 7, 201313 yr There is a saying attributed to Thomas Jefferson, although I think it has not been proven that he said it. "A government strong enough to take care of you is a government that can take everything away from you." I am not usually the paranoid type, but lately I am feeling uncomfortable with what the government has a "right" to.
June 7, 201313 yr I doubt privacy setting on Facebook matter at all. I strongly assume everything on Facebook is the property of Facebook. In other words, Facebook is free to sell/share all of your information with anyone they want to. I was trying to be funny. #fail
June 7, 201313 yr So you are ok with Gestapo style tactics? Don't see it that way, sorry you do. I see it as protection and national security.
June 7, 201313 yr Don't see it that way, sorry you do. I see it as protection and national security.As some on here kind of know what I do, and what side of the fence I am on, what I am saying in this thread may be a bit of a surprise to them, maybe even shocking! A few weeks ago in some posts I did put stuff like "Well, if you are not doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about", as a joke, as many people complaining now did not see fit to complain when this happened under W, I know Clyde was against it then, and now. We just have to look at the IRS stuff going on now. What if people are of a different political party? Or their views are different? They go in looking for item "A", knowing they likely will not find it, but they will take item "B,C,D" or whatever they find to build a case against the person or people. Same as the Gestapo did, everyone in Germany and the occupied countries were fearful of them. Then with the Nacht und Nebel there was no over sight what so ever, they did what they wanted, when they wanted, to who they want, anything they wanted to do, they did it. There was no over sight, no court proceedings, nothing. And now days, if you are against something the feds are doing, all they do is yell national security and terrorism.
June 7, 201313 yr As some on here kind of know what I do, and what side of the fence I am on, what I am saying in this thread may be a bit of a surprise to them, maybe even shocking! A few weeks ago in some posts I did put stuff like "Well, if you are not doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about", as a joke, as many people complaining now did not see fit to complain when this happened under W, I know Clyde was against it then, and now. We just have to look at the IRS stuff going on now. What if people are of a different political party? Or their views are different? They go in looking for item "A", knowing they likely will not find it, but they will take item "B,C,D" or whatever they find to build a case against the person or people. Same as the Gestapo did, everyone in Germany and the occupied countries were fearful of them. Then with the Nacht und Nebel there was no over sight what so ever, they did what they wanted, when they wanted, to who they want, anything they wanted to do, they did it. There was no over sight, no court proceedings, nothing. And now days, if you are against something the feds are doing, all they do is yell national security and terrorism. I have no idea what you do and it really doesn't matter to me. You may have access to information or understand how these things work better than me. it really doesn't matter to me. I just infer sometimes correctly and maybe incorrectly that everyone on here are typical of the American society. We have differences but basically try and do what we think is right. That is usually a reflection of how we were raised and the experiences we have had. Again, I understand why people think this way and are uncomfortable, I just don't see it that way and you will spend a lot of wasted time trying to convince me otherwise. I think it is way off base to compare this country to a Gestapo type of intervention, but if there are those that want to fear this, there are avenues that could stop it, I suppose, maybe not, I just don't worry about it. Heck, maybe you are monitoring me right now, so be it. I believe this has been going on for years and it is probably caused more prevention than harm. There is no way I believe that we have anywhee near the number of Security type of personnel to listen and pick up everything we are saying or if they really care. They are probably identifying key numbers, words in written correspondence, etc. Although I really don't know that. I have assumed and will probably always assume that anything in technology or digital isn't private, to the government, hacks, private businesses, etc., so I understand that, try and plan accordingly, secure my stuff as much as I can, and move on.
June 8, 201313 yr Watching MSNBC now, and they are making a great point. All of these companies that is said to be monitored by Prism have denied they knew about it (Google, Yahoo, Facebook and a few more) are they even allowed to admit it? Why wasn't Twitter mentioned in Prism? Did Twitter say no? It's odd that as big as Twitter is, that they were not included in Prism.
June 8, 201313 yr I just don't see it that way and you will spend a lot of wasted time trying to convince me otherwise. I respect your opinion, and I am not trying to convice you. :thumb: Also what many know on here is I HATE 99% of conspiracy theories, but this is a very slippery slope.
June 8, 201313 yr Ohh Mt Ref, where are you? This is right up your alley. Im afraid to say anything, since there is a big black suburban sitting across the street the last 3 days. Actually as long as they listen to bad guys who are the actual terrorist they know of that are in our country I have no problem with it. BUT, BUT, BUT, BUT We can not trust that this current administration will only do that, especially since the recent revelation of the tapping of the AP and Fox news reporter, and the IRS singling out tea party groups, the lying and never going to say anything about Benghazi. I'm not sure who is the biggest LIAR, Obama or Holder.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.