International tiebreaker rules question

Porky

International tiebreaker: When a regulation game ends in a tie, and the International Tie Breaker rule is used, at the beginning of each team's extra inning at-bat the last batter from the previous inning is placed on 2nd base.

If the runner scores that is given second base at the beginning of the extra inning, does it count as an earned run against the pitcher? If so why, and if not why not? I do not know the answer, just asking the question as it has come up in conversations before.

I don't know how it comes down in the "official" scoring world, but I just went back and checked how GameChanger tallies it, and GC does NOT count it as an ER....(based on my input of runner being placed on 2nd)

My first guess would have been that it would not be an ER, but would not be surprised if some obscure ruling comes to light that confirms it to be and ER.

Edited by heavy duty
add'l thought

I don't know how it comes down in the "official" scoring world, but I just went back and checked how GameChanger tallies it, and GC does NOT count it as an ER....(based on my input of runner being placed on 2nd)

My first guess would have been that it would not be an ER, but would not be surprised if some obscure ruling comes to light that confirms it to be and ER.

Nothing was earned in this situation, so I say no earned run.....and this according to The Book of Lawnboy. :jump:

Nothing was earned in this situation, so I say no earned run.....and this according to The Book of Lawnboy. :jump:

Thought LB or Clyde would have the official ruling on this. Especially Clyde, he seems to be in the know for most if not all of the rules questions. Any insight on this one?

From NCAA Scoring Rules

14.24.2 When a runner who began the inning on second base during the

tiebreaker scores and the pitcher is held accountable for all bases gained,

score the run as earned but charge it to the team total and not to the

individual.

14.30 Tiebreaker Rule

14.30.1 A run scored by the player starting as a runner at second base shall

be charged to the defensive team and not the pitcher. Whether a run

scored by any other player shall be charged to the pitcher is up to the

judgment of the official scorer.

So, yes it is an "earned run" counted towards the TEAM ERA, but not the Pitcher's ERA......and the Pitcher's Dads Cheer!! :dancingpa

From NCAA Scoring Rules

14.24.2 When a runner who began the inning on second base during the

tiebreaker scores and the pitcher is held accountable for all bases gained,

score the run as earned but charge it to the team total and not to the

individual.

14.30 Tiebreaker Rule

14.30.1 A run scored by the player starting as a runner at second base shall

be charged to the defensive team and not the pitcher. Whether a run

scored by any other player shall be charged to the pitcher is up to the

judgment of the official scorer.

So, yes it is an "earned run" counted towards the TEAM ERA, but not the Pitcher's ERA......and the Pitcher's Dads Cheer!! :dancingpa

And that makes perfect sense..