Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Russ Smith to the NBA?

Featured Replies

Bogans was always looked as a future first round pick and had a bad junior year. Russ has never been thought of as a first round pick and had an amazing year. Bogans stock was as low as it ever was and it could be easily argued that Russ stock is as high as it will ever get right now.

 

I don't even think Jorts had stock after his junior year but that is a better example of a guy who improved a lot as a senior.

 

UKMF made a good point and you want to nitpick at one thing he said. Fun stuff!!!

 

 

I'm not nitpicking anything. I'll admit I don't follow the NBA much at all. Never cared much for it after Bird retired. And perhaps I've misunderstood UKMF, but from I gather UKMF is saying that Russ Smith is stupid for coming back for his senior year because his stock won't go any higher. That he has reached his ceiling. He then said that very seldom does a player improve his draft status between his Jr. and senior year. I disagreed with that, and gave what I thought were two pretty good examples. I think Darius is another good example of a player who improved his draft status after his Sr. year. I would think Tim Duncan was another one. I'm sure there are plenty more out there.

  • Replies 154
  • Views 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a bad example because Bogans was a late lottery-mid first round pick after his sophmore year, decided to come back for his junior season and tanked. He had no choice but to come back for his senior year, and he still didn't get his status back to where he had it after his sophmore season.

 

Jorts is an even worse example. He never played his junior year. Again, he had no choice but to come back his senior year. Neither of those situations are even remotely similar to that of Smith.

 

 

Do you honestly think Coach Pitino would give one of his players bad advice about his future?

Par for the course for him.

 

You think I pick on you UKMF?

How is it a bad example? Jorts is another one right off the top of my head. How many more you want?

 

Not even close to the same situations.

 

Darius benefitted his senior year from playing with 5 future pros. Will Russ have that next year? No.

 

Jorts? I don't even think that one should be addressed.

 

Bogans was a 6'5 two guard who could work his way into the lottery with a good senior year.

 

Duncan? Seriously?

 

 

None of these are applicable to Russ Smith. I get that if you dissect what UKMF said, you can point out random people to prove him wrong. But his overall point is correct.

Not even close to the same situations.

 

Darius benefitted his senior year from playing with 5 future pros. Will Russ have that next year? No.

 

Jorts? I don't even think that one should be addressed.

 

Bogans was a 6'5 two guard who could work his way into the lottery with a good senior year.

 

Duncan? Seriously?

 

 

None of these are applicable to Russ Smith. I get that if you dissect what UKMF said, you can point out random people to prove him wrong. But his overall point is correct.

 

 

So you agree too that Coach Pitino is giving his player bad advice?

So you agree too that Coach Pitino is giving his player bad advice?

 

Depends on what Pitino wants him to be working on if he returns.

 

If a year spent becoming a better passer could help him in a future professional career, then as long as it's a year spent focusing on that aspect of his game, then maybe it's worth it.

 

I have my doubts, but ultimately there are pros and cons on both sides of this decision.

So you agree too that Coach Pitino is giving his player bad advice?

 

You extrapolated quite a bit, but it's possible.

 

I'm guessing Pitino heard that he wasn't going to get drafted, regardless of year. If that's the case, why not come back and try for back-back NC? Which is nauseating to think of.

 

What makes you think that Russ Smith could improve his draft stock based on is size, style of play, position, etc.?

If that's the case, why not come back and try for back-back NC? Which is nauseating to think of.

 

:lol2:

 

For comparisons sake, that's the reaction here in Louisville every time someone utters the phrase "greatest recruiting class ever."

I'm not nitpicking anything. I'll admit I don't follow the NBA much at all. Never cared much for it after Bird retired. And perhaps I've misunderstood UKMF, but from I gather UKMF is saying that Russ Smith is stupid for coming back for his senior year because his stock won't go any higher. That he has reached his ceiling. He then said that very seldom does a player improve his draft status between his Jr. and senior year. I disagreed with that, and gave what I thought were two pretty good examples. I think Darius is another good example of a player who improved his draft status after his Sr. year. I would think Tim Duncan was another one. I'm sure there are plenty more out there.

 

That's not even remotely close to what I said. I said if he's not a first round pick this season, he's not one next season either. Where in the world do you get that I think he's stupid or making a bad decision if he comes back? I was making a simple statement. You can disagree with what I said all you want, but that's what NBA draft guys always say. That unless you add a dimension to your game that wasn't there previously, all coming back can do is lower your stock.

 

If Russ wants to come back because he thinks he can improve, loves college, or just wants to play for Pitino again, more power to him. No fault with his decision either way. If you would just look past the fact that I was the one making the statement, you'd be able to see that what I said was correct. Heck, the biggest UofL fan on the board seemed to "like" it.

 

What aspect of his game do you see him improving enough by coming back that will improve the things that are causing him to be a 2nd round grade?

 

Miller is a fine example of the exception to the rule, however his stock wouldn't have improved without the aid of 5 studs around him.

 

Duncan was projected as the #1 pick whenever he left Wake Forest.

You extrapolated quite a bit, but it's possible.

 

I'm guessing Pitino heard that he wasn't going to get drafted, regardless of year. If that's the case, why not come back and try for back-back NC? Which is nauseating to think of.

 

What makes you think that Russ Smith could improve his draft stock based on is size, style of play, position, etc.?

 

 

I have no idea if he'll improve his draft status. I have read comments that people think he hurt his draft status with the way he played in the final 2 games. I have no idea if there is any truth to that or not. My point is/was that players can benefit from coming back for their senior season.

For comparisons sake, that's the reaction here in Louisville every time someone utters the phrase "greatest recruiting class ever."

 

Understandable. But could you imagine being a UK fan in Louisville if said class loss to Louisville on their way to winning back to back National Championships?

 

:puke:

Understandable. But could you imagine being a UK fan in Louisville if said class loss to Louisville on their way to winning back to back National Championships?

 

Tee-hee-hee....:D (Imagine me drumming my fingers togehter under my chin as I cackle). :D

Tee-hee-hee....:D (Imagine me drumming my fingers togehter under my chin as I cackle). :D

 

Don't be selfish. No need for two in a row.

Don't be selfish. No need for two in a row.

 

No, no, no...you've got it all wrong! It's not selfish...we'll still let you come visit the trophy! Just more people can view it in Louisville, what with it being a bigger city and all. :p

Heck, the biggest UofL fan on the board seemed to "like" it.

 

Aw shucks. :D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.