Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pit Bulls Kill Georgia Toddler

Featured Replies

I will disagree other all who say that these dogs are safe if they train them right. Breeds all have their own characteristics. Boxers use their front paws in play and fights. Hounds will bark and howl at most anything that moves or makes a sound. Terriers will dig. It's in their DNA. Breeding and proper training can help them get over these urges, but its still there. Your pet Pit bull can be a perfect dog for years, but then one day it snaps and it ends in disaster. It's instinct. They can't be trusted. Heck even poodles are notorious for biting. Except they tend to let go and not try to rip off limbs.

 

I know this is apples and oranges, but Sigfried and Roy hand raised all their tigers, provided them with care and better living arrangements than most humans have and look what happened.

  • Replies 82
  • Views 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will disagree other all who say that these dogs are safe if they train them right. Breeds all have their own characteristics. Boxers use their front paws in play and fights. Hounds will bark and howl at most anything that moves or makes a sound. Terriers will dig. It's in their DNA. Breeding and proper training can help them get over these urges, but its still there. Your pet Pit bull can be a perfect dog for years, but then one day it snaps and it ends in disaster. It's instinct. They can't be trusted. Heck even poodles are notorious for biting. Except they tend to let go and not try to rip off limbs.

 

I know this is apples and oranges, but Sigfried and Roy hand raised all their tigers, provided them with care and better living arrangements than most humans have and look what happened.

 

 

Are you an expert, or is it just your opinion? Because...any animal behaviorist would say: 1). Comparing a tiger to a dog is ludicrous; and 2) yes breeds have tendencies but that is less than 10% of the pyramid that influences their behavior IF they are properly socialized, exercised and trained. Sadly most dogs aren't. For this reason there are breeds pits, and several others that should not be acquired by people that want to chain them up and leave them alone.....but is that the dog's fault?

Are you an expert, or is it just your opinion? Because...any animal behaviorist would say: 1). Comparing a tiger to a dog is ludicrous; and 2) yes breeds have tendencies but that is less than 10% of the pyramid that influences their behavior IF they are properly socialized, exercised and trained. Sadly most dogs aren't. For this reason there are breeds pits, and several others that should not be acquired by people that want to chain them up and leave them alone.....but is that the dog's fault?

 

I am not an expert but on another pit bull thread from a year or two ago someone posted an article about how sensitive certain breeds were to improper treatment meaning how likely certain breeds were to turn violent as a result of improper treatment (constantly chained up, neglect, etc..). Pit bulls were the top of the list while I seem to remember boxers being towards the bottom of the list meaning that boxers (while look agressive) are good to have around children because if they are being teased by kids, the will generally only bark, swat threats away with their paws or simply leave the area rather than turn violent.

How did we get here? Every decade, a different breed gets labeled as the problem pooch, says dog trainer and police officer Mike Upshur. In the '70s, he remembers Dobermans getting a bad rap, followed by German shepherds in the '80s and powerful Rottweilers in the '90s. The American Kennel Club describes each breed as a protective and loyal family pet that requires lots of exercise. Its description of pit bulls, also known as American Staffordshire terriers, is no different. “The Am Staff is a people-oriented dog that thrives when he is made part of the family and given a job to do,” according to the AKC site. “Although friendly, this breed is loyal to his family and will protect them from any threat. His short coat is low-maintenance, but regular exercise and training is necessary.”

 

The above is from a pretty good article.

 

http://www.mnn.com/family/pets/stories/a-pit-bull-perception-problem-whats-a-dog-owner-to-do

Unfortunately Pits seem to be the designer dogs for boneheads. I visited my daughter this week..next door to her is a guy who is seldom home and keeps a good looking pit in a 10x10 pen. 1 and 1/2 years ago when I visited, a storm had knocked down half of its fence. I went over and repaired it and the dog was very friendly and happy to have interaction. This week, I went to visit the dog...still in a pen, and he probably would have attacked me if I gave him a chance. I don't blame the dog.

  • Author

Pit Bulls have a genetic malfunction in their brain. They are stupid dogs and can attack without notice. If a family has one and has kids, it's your own fault if your kids are mauled.

Pit bulls were bred specifically for their athleticism, strength, and vehement determination to fight regardless of their own personal safety. The breed was made by crossing tough working dogs with tough bull-baiters specifically for the sake of bloodsport. The breed is as man-made fighting machine.

 

I have known three people personally to own pit bulls. One of the dogs was a family dog, and was honestly as sweet as could be - until it walked up to my 6 year old cousin while he napped on the couch and bit his face, nearly tearing his lips off of his mouth. The second one I knew belonged to the family of a girl I dated in high school. To the best of my knowledge, that dog lived its life peacefully and without incident. The third belonged to a good friend of mine. She was as sweet as could be, was VERY well trained, and VERY obedient - until one day when my friend was taking her for a walk and she decided to hamstring an elderly woman who was walking by on the sidewalk.

 

A few studies cited on Wikipedia:

-A 9-year (1979–88) review of fatal dog attacks in the United States determined that, of the 101 attacks in which breed was recorded, pit bulls were implicated in 42 of those attacks (42%).

-A 1991 study found that 94% of attacks on children by pit bulls were unprovoked, compared to 43% for other breeds.

-A 15-year (1991–2005) review of dog attack fatalities investigated by the Kentucky Medical Examiner determined that pit bulls were implicated in 5 of the 11 fatal attacks (45%).

-A 15-year (1994–2009) review of patients admitted to a Level I Trauma Center with dog bites determined that pit bulls were most often involved in these attacks: of the 228 patients treated, the breed of dog was recorded in 82 attacks, and of these, 29 (35%) of the attacks were by pit bulls (all other dogs combined accounted for the remaining 65% of attacks). In 45% of the attacks, the dog belonged to the victim's family. The authors also noted: "Attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs."

 

 

Saying that, "I have a friend with the nicest pitbull in the world. Heck, that pitbull is nicer than the boxer I grew up next door to." doesn't make it okay to have one single breed out of some 300+ total dog breeds representing 40% or more of all the attacks committed by dogs.

 

Some animals can be tamed. There are people who tame lions. There are people who tame bears. There are many many people in the world who keep dangerous animals for pets....but that doesn't make it a good idea.

 

When there are SO many dog breeds in the world, why are so many people so dedicated to proliferating such a statistically dangerous one? It would be one thing if we were talking about a naturally occurring wild animal. But the pitbull is not one of those. Wolves are dangerous...but I'm not suggesting that we ban wolves. Do I think people should be allowed to keep wolves in their houses? Not even a little. I'm sorry, but I just see pitbulls as being a bad idea. Spay and neuter the lot of them, and make them go away for good.

Pit bulls were bred specifically for their athleticism, strength, and vehement determination to fight regardless of their own personal safety. The breed was made by crossing tough working dogs with tough bull-baiters specifically for the sake of bloodsport. The breed is as man-made fighting machine.

 

I have known three people personally to own pit bulls. One of the dogs was a family dog, and was honestly as sweet as could be - until it walked up to my 6 year old cousin while he napped on the couch and bit his face, nearly tearing his lips off of his mouth. The second one I knew belonged to the family of a girl I dated in high school. To the best of my knowledge, that dog lived its life peacefully and without incident. The third belonged to a good friend of mine. She was as sweet as could be, was VERY well trained, and VERY obedient - until one day when my friend was taking her for a walk and she decided to hamstring an elderly woman who was walking by on the sidewalk.

 

A few studies cited on Wikipedia:

-A 9-year (1979–88) review of fatal dog attacks in the United States determined that, of the 101 attacks in which breed was recorded, pit bulls were implicated in 42 of those attacks (42%).

-A 1991 study found that 94% of attacks on children by pit bulls were unprovoked, compared to 43% for other breeds.

-A 15-year (1991–2005) review of dog attack fatalities investigated by the Kentucky Medical Examiner determined that pit bulls were implicated in 5 of the 11 fatal attacks (45%).

-A 15-year (1994–2009) review of patients admitted to a Level I Trauma Center with dog bites determined that pit bulls were most often involved in these attacks: of the 228 patients treated, the breed of dog was recorded in 82 attacks, and of these, 29 (35%) of the attacks were by pit bulls (all other dogs combined accounted for the remaining 65% of attacks). In 45% of the attacks, the dog belonged to the victim's family. The authors also noted: "Attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs."

 

 

Saying that, "I have a friend with the nicest pitbull in the world. Heck, that pitbull is nicer than the boxer I grew up next door to." doesn't make it okay to have one single breed out of some 300+ total dog breeds representing 40% or more of all the attacks committed by dogs.

 

Some animals can be tamed. There are people who tame lions. There are people who tame bears. There are many many people in the world who keep dangerous animals for pets....but that doesn't make it a good idea.

 

When there are SO many dog breeds in the world, why are so many people so dedicated to proliferating such a statistically dangerous one? It would be one thing if we were talking about a naturally occurring wild animal. But the pitbull is not one of those. Wolves are dangerous...but I'm not suggesting that we ban wolves. Do I think people should be allowed to keep wolves in their houses? Not even a little. I'm sorry, but I just see pitbulls as being a bad idea. Spay and neuter the lot of them, and make them go away for good.

 

Great post!!

Pit bulls were bred specifically for their athleticism, strength, and vehement determination to fight regardless of their own personal safety. The breed was made by crossing tough working dogs with tough bull-baiters specifically for the sake of bloodsport. The breed is as man-made fighting machine.

 

I have known three people personally to own pit bulls. One of the dogs was a family dog, and was honestly as sweet as could be - until it walked up to my 6 year old cousin while he napped on the couch and bit his face, nearly tearing his lips off of his mouth. The second one I knew belonged to the family of a girl I dated in high school. To the best of my knowledge, that dog lived its life peacefully and without incident. The third belonged to a good friend of mine. She was as sweet as could be, was VERY well trained, and VERY obedient - until one day when my friend was taking her for a walk and she decided to hamstring an elderly woman who was walking by on the sidewalk.

 

A few studies cited on Wikipedia:

-A 9-year (1979–88) review of fatal dog attacks in the United States determined that, of the 101 attacks in which breed was recorded, pit bulls were implicated in 42 of those attacks (42%).

-A 1991 study found that 94% of attacks on children by pit bulls were unprovoked, compared to 43% for other breeds.

-A 15-year (1991–2005) review of dog attack fatalities investigated by the Kentucky Medical Examiner determined that pit bulls were implicated in 5 of the 11 fatal attacks (45%).

-A 15-year (1994–2009) review of patients admitted to a Level I Trauma Center with dog bites determined that pit bulls were most often involved in these attacks: of the 228 patients treated, the breed of dog was recorded in 82 attacks, and of these, 29 (35%) of the attacks were by pit bulls (all other dogs combined accounted for the remaining 65% of attacks). In 45% of the attacks, the dog belonged to the victim's family. The authors also noted: "Attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs."

 

 

Saying that, "I have a friend with the nicest pitbull in the world. Heck, that pitbull is nicer than the boxer I grew up next door to." doesn't make it okay to have one single breed out of some 300+ total dog breeds representing 40% or more of all the attacks committed by dogs.

 

Some animals can be tamed. There are people who tame lions. There are people who tame bears. There are many many people in the world who keep dangerous animals for pets....but that doesn't make it a good idea.

 

When there are SO many dog breeds in the world, why are so many people so dedicated to proliferating such a statistically dangerous one? It would be one thing if we were talking about a naturally occurring wild animal. But the pitbull is not one of those. Wolves are dangerous...but I'm not suggesting that we ban wolves. Do I think people should be allowed to keep wolves in their houses? Not even a little. I'm sorry, but I just see pitbulls as being a bad idea. Spay and neuter the lot of them, and make them go away for good.

 

I do believe there are too many pits, as they have in the recent years been the designer dogs for drug lords, dog fighters, and gangster wannabes and others who want a dog that provokes fear apparently. I help at the Franklin County Humane Society, and we are full of pits due to a dog (and other animal) hoarding situation awaiting trial. The people had move than 15 pits. This was a disaster waiting to happen.

I do believe there are too many pits, as they have in the recent years been the designer dogs for drug lords, dog fighters, and gangster wannabes and others who want a dog that provokes fear apparently. I help at the Franklin County Humane Society, and we are full of pits due to a dog (and other animal) hoarding situation awaiting trial. The people had move than 15 pits. This was a disaster waiting to happen.

Pit bulls are banned from the Kenton County (KY) Paw Park (at Pioneer Park). Sign at the park is specific: pit bulls, staffordshire mixes, maybe one other breed not welcome.

Pit bulls are banned from the Kenton County (KY) Paw Park (at Pioneer Park). Sign at the park is specific: pit bulls, staffordshire mixes, maybe one other breed not welcome.

 

Just like the other dogs, Rotts, German Shephards, Dobermans...the breed can be saved, but will have to be done so with limited breeding and not bred by the characters who want to bring out the aggressive qualities. Otherwise, I am in concert with the spay and neuter post. Until this happens, which will take years, Pits will continue to be the pariah of the canine family.

  • Author
Just like the other dogs, Rotts, German Shephards, Dobermans...the breed can be saved, but will have to be done so with limited breeding and not bred by the characters who want to bring out the aggressive qualities. Otherwise, I am in concert with the spay and neuter post. Until this happens, which will take years, Pits will continue to be the pariah of the canine family.

 

German Sheps are good family dogs, one I wish I had.

We have a pit bull.

 

Sweetest dog ever.

German Sheps are good family dogs, one I wish I had.

 

Let me confuse you with some facts then before you get your German Shephard. Note that Pit Bulls are BY FAR the most populous of these and any other dog breed. But then, that doesn't make the news does it?

 

Other dog populations (United States):

 

(estimation) Pit Bulls: 5,256,000

(estimation) Rottweilers: 900,000

(estimation) German Shepherds: 780,000

(estimation) Chows: 240,000

 

Fatal attacks by these breeds of dogs (1979-1998):

Pit Bulls: 66

Rottweilers: 39

German Shepherds: 17

Chows: 8

 

When we divide the population by the fatal attacks, we can get a percentage based on the dogs probability of fatally attacking a human.

 

Pit Bulls: .00125 %

Rottweilers: .00433 %

German Shepherds: .00217%

Chow: .00333%

 

http://defendpitbulls.com/pit-bull-attack-statistics/

 

So I stand by my earlier posts regarding Pits:

 

There are too many and many bred discriminately (for aggression) by boneheads.

Too many are owned by boneheads.

They are a powerful breed as are the others above and must be managed (as should all dogs). (My daughter has both a Rottweiler and a German Shephard, and they are great family dogs, but she always keeps complete control over them.)

The breeding needs to be managed downward and discriminating towards the lower energy attributes.

To typecast 5+ million dogs due to the 1% doesn't really make sense.

Edited by doomer

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.