State championships

RCC9

HHS in 2000 beat Male big in preseason scrimmage and followed with a convincing win vs. Trinity the following week. Male went on to defeat Trinity in the final. There is no question that HHS was the best team overall that season.

Other seasons T, X, Male were clearly better. Some years there is clearly room for debate. I would love to have seen 2007 T vs. H for example.

No right or wrong answers. Just opinions.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HHS in 2000 beat Male big in preseason scrimmage and followed with a convincing win vs. Trinity the following week. Male went on to defeat Trinity in the final. There is no question that HHS was the best team overall that season.

Other seasons T, X, Male were clearly better. Some years there is clearly room for debate. I would love to have seen 2007 T vs. H for example.

No right or wrong answers. Just opinions.

See I would debate that a little with Boyle County. Of all the teams in their 5 year run, that was the most talented squad they had. They played two close games that season, both against Lex Cath and those were the only losses the Knights suffered all year. (As was the case in '99) I think HHS has a great claim but I wouldn't surrender that without a discussion about that Boyle County team. :thumb:

What about Danville in '84? They went 13-0 and really only played one close game in the State Semi-Finals at Russell. Great blend of strong line play, speed and solid Defense. Destroyed Cov Cath in the Regional Final and blased Hoptown in the State Final. (Would have shut them out if not for a late fumble that set up the Tigers only score)

Would Boyle County have any discussion in any of the other years? "01 and '03 both finished at 15-0 and AAA State Champions. The '01 team featured Duggins, Jacob Tamme, Michael Paul Webb and Brodie Overstreet. They defeated the Class A Champion Danville and had only one close game at Hopkinsville vs. a talented Hoptown squad.

The '03 team throttled the Class A champ (Danville's only loss of the season) and beat HHS twice on their way. Also beat down a talented Tighlman squad in Paducah that I think was considered #1 in the overall state going into the game. (Cantwell, Hunter and gang)

I don't know that those teams were worthy of being considered best overall, but it would be interesting discussion.

See I would debate that a little with Boyle County. Of all the teams in their 5 year run, that was the most talented squad they had. They played two close games that season, both against Lex Cath and those were the only losses the Knights suffered all year. (As was the case in '99) I think HHS has a great claim but I wouldn't surrender that without a discussion about that Boyle County team. :thumb:

As per the bolded, I think you meant 2009, correct?

Where's PP92??

I'm around. I'm not a major offseason football guy. I float around the job opening threads some but it's basketball season. I'm more a basketball guy than football guy also.

To answer your question though....

I think BG would have 0 titles. I think Boyle would have 2-4.