Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

BGP Boys Top 20 (1-10-13)

Featured Replies

Holmes just keeps winning and gets no respect. That's ok, being unranked isn't a bad thing. I would think that the best team in the 9th region would at least crack the top 25.

 

NCC is 19th. To some that is the best team in the 9th. Guess we'll see what happens on Feb. 8.

  • Replies 87
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I misspoke. 13 out of 20. I haven't seen Fairdale. But watched their starters all summer in AAU.

That's what I like to hear. Someone who has seen a lot of the teams play. Have you seen NCC, Holmes, Cov Cath?

I'm actually surprised Brossart hasn't been mentioned. Perry County Central. Apollo. Male. Dunbar.

 

There are so many teams out there with a decent argument as to why they should be in the top 20.

  • Author
That's what I like to hear. Someone who has seen a lot of the teams play. Have you seen NCC, Holmes, Cov Cath?

No on Holmes and CC. Seen NCC 3 times

I tend to agree with the comments about Holmes' schedule. Regardless, they are still a VERY good team that would beat a lot of the teams not in the top 6 or 7.

 

Spindoc is right. Holmes has overachieved this year. I have thought Holmes was one of the top 2 teams in the 9th region all along, but never thought they would end up being as good as they are now.

 

What a lot of people fail to realize though when saying Holmes is overachieving is that this senior group (Coston, Palmer, Englemon) got a lot of pub as freshmen and lost in the frosh region championship in OT to Scott. This is by far Booher's best team that he has had at Holmes.

 

James Bolden is a top 10 sophomore in the state and a very special talent. When you have solid guys around him like Coston, Palmer, Glover, and Herndon to go along with an underrated front court of Chames, Hill, and Englemon, you have a team that is extremely tough to beat.

 

Is Holmes top 10? I don't know. I do think they are a top 20 team but like the coaching staff, I could care less whether they're ranked or not as long as they keep winning. Trust me, these kids see the rankings and take it personal. This is a very focused team and it is extremely tough to do what they're doing right now at 17-0. It is so easy at the high school level to lose focus for one game and lose a game you probably shouldn't lose.

 

I seem to remember the 08 team led by Henderson being very underrated because of their soft schedule and all they did was make it to the state championship. Not saying this Holmes team is capable of the same, but just making a point that you can't necessarily judge a team off their schedule. Watch them first hand then judge.

 

Hopefully Holmes gets a chance to play at Rupp this year so people can see just how good they are.

 

I will say this Spindoc, when Holmes plays at Mason Co and GRC, I highly recommend getting out and seeing them. I know Holmes is better than both but you can atleast see first hand why NKY folks are so high on them.

  • Author

Walter, I intend to do just that.

I've seen both Butler (twice) and Doss (once) play and I would all but guarantee Holmes would put a smackdown on both.

I have no idea. Only giving my opinion. Really Holmes has overachieved to date. I don't think even Walter thought they'd play quite as well as they have. Personally I've seen most of the teams in the top 20. I haven't seen Holmes. I have seen NewCath and all of the teams in the top 10. While I don't disagree that Holmes could crack the top 20, their schedule is not very good. It's not really debatable. Seems it's the same argument every year with a team from the 9th that has a stellar record and folks think they are top 10. Then reality comes and it's evident they're not. I'm not saying Holmes is in that setting. I think they're very solid personally and well coached. Again, looking at the teams at the bottom of the top 20, who do you remove? In a one game situation, I think Holmes could beat any of the teams 15-20 with a reasonable rate, maybe not the majority of the time but certainly on occasion.

 

Here's a question for oldguy, since we are calling them like we see em, have you seen Pulaski? Any? Ever?

 

Nope but have seen Holmes, Cooper, NCC, Moeller, Taft, Louisville St. X, Trinity, Dixie, Cov Holy Cross and more and will also next week see Lafayette, Scott County, Etown, Collins, Perry County Central and a couple more before I see Madison Central.

 

I don't have a vote on BGP's (what to give me one?:idunno:) but then again between attending game and watching film, I only see about 50/60 games a year from Ohio and Kentucky?

 

If I have, I don't remember but I have seen Russell County, Lincoln County, and Monticello play from the 12th Region before!

Walter, I intend to do just that.

 

Good deal. I respect your opinion so am very interested to hear your thoughts after seeing them.

 

Too bad Holmes AD wouldn't let us broadcast the Holy Cross game or Cooper game tomorrow night. Atleast then you'd have some video to go off of.

1. Ballard

2. Bullitt East

3. Henry Clay

4. Madison Central

5. Trinity

6. Scott County

7. Butler

8. Pleasure Ridge Park

9. Montgomery County

10. Knott Central

11. Hopkinsville

12. St. Xavier

13. Lafayette

14. Central

15. John Hardin

16. Collins

17. Fairdale

18. Lexington Catholic

19. Newport Catholic

20. Pulaski County

 

 

This is an absolute joke with no Holmes. Only undefeated team in KY isn't worthy of top 20. :lol:

This is an absolute joke with no Holmes. Only undefeated team in KY isn't worthy of top 20. :lol:

 

Play somebody.

No doubt schedule isn't as tough as some. I don't know who decided pairings for the KY Farm Bureau Classic in Pikeville. There were plenty of teams in the top 20 there, they played New Rochelle, NY whom they beat by 15, same as KCC. They played Breathitt whom they clobbered and Lincoln Co. How did they miss the big boys there? I believe it isn't a lack of not wanting to play some of these teams. Don't know if Booher knew GRC and Mason County would be having down years, maybe he did. As Walter said it doesn't mean a lot where they are ranked because this isn't the BCS, I just found it odd with their record they weren't in there. I still don't know who votes, just curious. I asked before but no one responded. Has anyone who votes seen them?

No doubt schedule isn't as tough as some. I don't know who decided pairings for the KY Farm Bureau Classic in Pikeville. There were plenty of teams in the top 20 there, they played New Rochelle, NY whom they beat by 15, same as KCC. They played Breathitt whom they clobbered and Lincoln Co. How did they miss the big boys there? I believe it isn't a lack of not wanting to play some of these teams. Don't know if Booher knew GRC and Mason County would be having down years, maybe he did. As Walter said it doesn't mean a lot where they are ranked because this isn't the BCS, I just found it odd with their record they weren't in there. I still don't know who votes, just curious. I asked before but no one responded. Has anyone who votes seen them?

 

I haven't seen them but it makes it much easier in this muddy process when you can point to results when you haven't seen them play. Had Holmes been put in there someone would be omitted and to sound like a broken record after the top 5-7 you can throw anyone in there and make a good argument why they should be in there. I think Montgomery County should be lower and I think Male is also top 20 worthy and that LexCath shouldn't be ranked as well. One could make an argument for Central to be higher, for Brossart to be ranked, for Holmes to be ranked, for the Oldham schools to get some pub, etc etc. Things should shake out as time goes on. Holmes may be ranked next week now that we have seen CovCath beat NCC. Who knows. It would be a lot easier to rank Holmes in the top 20 if they had played just 1 top 20 team. And it's no one's fault because Holmes doesn't know how good teams are going to be when they make the schedule. It's just the way things have shaken out for the voters of the BGP poll for 1/10/13.

X beat CovCath by 9

Lets see St. X (#12) defeated CovCath by I believe three at St. X, yet Holmes who beat CovCath at CovCath by eleven gets no love.

 

My guess is this is being done to get more subscribers to join BGP's away from NKy, by proving to those outside of NKy that BGP's isn't just a NKy business, at the expense of Holmes!

 

Just calling it as I see it! :idunno:

^^^^ Thank you and your are correct. That is way I said believe, as I was at work without my score book!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.