Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Open Enrollment!

Featured Replies

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on open enrollment. I think if "ALL" Districts in the state of Kentucky participated in open enrollment that aloud students to attend whichever school they wanted within their district, maybe we would not see the dominance in sports by the same teams. There would be a few more to compete against them. IMO, it's unfair that some of your powerhouse schools are benefiting from this and others aren't.

  • Replies 65
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion it would at least be the same but probably a bit worse with the families that can't afford out of district tuition being able to go wherever for free.

There is no rule/law that I know of, that forces a single Board of Education, to have closed Districts boundaries for their High School's and you, that is if you vote, have complete control of the Board by asking question to those running for the Board seats if they agree with your position on the matter or not!

 

If you don't like their answer on this subject, you don't vote for them. Pretty simple really!

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on open enrollment. I think if "ALL" Districts in the state of Kentucky participated in open enrollment that aloud students to attend whichever school they wanted within their district, maybe we would not see the dominance in sports by the same teams. There would be a few more to compete against them. IMO, it's unfair that some of your powerhouse schools are benefiting from this and others aren't.

 

There is nothing that I am aware of to prevent any school district to decide they will accept students outside their boundaries. So, all you need to do is convince them (at least the ones you support) to accept tuition students, and your school/team will be set and can finally compete at a higher level.

 

[insert STAPLES Easy Button Here!]

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on open enrollment. I think if "ALL" Districts in the state of Kentucky participated in open enrollment that aloud students to attend whichever school they wanted within their district, maybe we would not see the dominance in sports by the same teams. There would be a few more to compete against them. IMO, it's unfair that some of your powerhouse schools are benefiting from this and others aren't.

 

I disagree. I think it would have the opposite effect.

 

The majority would flock to the highly successful school and away from the lesser competitive program. The rich would get richer and the poor - poorer.

I disagree. I think it would have the opposite effect.

 

The majority would flock to the highly successful school and away from the lesser competitive program. The rich would get richer and the poor - poorer.

 

I always tell people that Cooper has benefitted from Boone's rule of staying in your district.

I copied this from another thread where I originally posted it.

 

When exactly does a school gain "ownership" of a student so that if they go to that school there can be no nefarious motivations to it?

 

Does a kid have to be born and delivered in Fort Thomas so that he "belongs" to Highlands when he is in High School?

 

Do the parents of a new born need to express which open enrollment high school they want their kid to attend so that that kid "belongs" to that school?

 

Do parents of newborns now need to start paying their tuition for Trinity before the baby leaves the hospital so the kid is "legitimate" when he goes to Trinity?

I disagree. I think it would have the opposite effect.

 

The majority would flock to the highly successful school and away from the lesser competitive program. The rich would get richer and the poor - poorer.

 

Agreed. At least the best players would.

I disagree. I think it would have the opposite effect.

 

The majority would flock to the highly successful school and away from the lesser competitive program. The rich would get richer and the poor - poorer.

 

I agree. Plus, let's admit it, there's a limit to how many students a specific school can legitimately handle. If Susie Q. wants to go there because of the volleyball team, and Johnny D. wants to go there for football...who decides who gets in and who doesn't? Or what about Jimmy and Pam who want to go to the school for academics, and bring nothing to the table athletically? What shot do they have?

  • Author
I agree. Plus, let's admit it, there's a limit to how many students a specific school can legitimately handle. If Susie Q. wants to go there because of the volleyball team, and Johnny D. wants to go there for football...who decides who gets in and who doesn't? Or what about Jimmy and Pam who want to go to the school for academics, and bring nothing to the table athletically? What shot do they have?

 

According to other posts, no student goes to a schools just for athletics. It's all about the academics. I guess the schools would have to turn down the athlete because it's all about academics.:lol:

I always tell people that Cooper has benefitted from Boone's rule of staying in your district.

 

Not really...at least not yet. Possbily what is true is instead of saying Cooper has benefited, it's more like conner and Ryle has suffered, because when Cooper opened it took away athletes that would of been otherwised distrcited to one of those 2 schools. I will say that it will go in cycles. Since Cooper, Conner and Ryle all draw from the same area, the schools will have their cycles. In the future it will depend on where new subdivisions go in. Ryle has a lot of land south of the school for development and Conner has a lot of land still that can be developed for new subdivisions etc. So it really will be based on what areas develop and have more families move into the area first.

 

Cooper has benefitted the last couple years because one of the newest subdivisions that went in (Orleans) is in the Cooper district. That will change when a new development comes into the area. But until then, the 3 schools will probably go in 2-3 year spurts because they draw from the same pee wee feeder program, just depends where the best athletes happen to live to where they go to school in the county.

I always tell people that Cooper has benefitted from Boone's rule of staying in your district.

 

How has Cooper benefitted any more than Ryle, Boone, or Conner?

This is true for the last 2 years. I will also say that it will go in cycles. Since Cooper, Conner and Ryle all draw from the same area, the schools will have their cycles. In the future it will depend on where new subdivisions go in. Ryle has a lot of land south of the school for development and Conner has a lot of land still that can be developed for new subdivisions etc. So it really will be based on what areas develop and have more families move into the area first.

 

 

 

Cooper has benefitted the last couple years because one of the newest subdivisions that went in (Orleans) is in the Cooper district. That will change when a new development comes into the area. But until then, the 3 schools will probably go in 2-3 year spurts because they draw from the same pee wee feeder program, just depends where the best athletes happen to live to where they go to school in the county.

 

 

With Cooper starting their feeder program, i'll give them the edge over Boone and Conner. The BCPWFL still needs to figure out how things should be ran in order to make the county successful in a whole. Ryle seems to have a strong feeder program as well.

Heres the way I look at it. I'll give you two scenarios.

 

Moeller, Elder, St X (in either state), Trinity, LaSalle, Colrain, HHS, Beechwood, NCC, Cov Cath (i'm sure there are others). What do these school all have in common besides good sustained progams? Excellant acedemics! Families flock to the great academics first. That creates good programs. None of these schools opened their doors on the first day of their existance and said, we are going to be excellent in football! I bet they said, we are going to be excellent in academics and families migrated that way, eventually making them successful in other things.

 

Second scenario. Let's pretend we started a new state. Now we've started 10 schools in that state and all 10 will have football programs. We're a new state, so we haven't created ANY rules for governing football. All kids in the new state can go wherever they want. You can recruit, market, sell, influence your program anyway you want (without paying your kids, etc). Let's pretend all the schools are within a city block of each other. Now let's pretend that two of those schools (we'll call them school 1 and school 2) have proven that they will provide a superior education (i don't know how they did it since they are a new school, but let's pretend!).

 

Now flash forward 10 years...who do you think is competing for the state championships? It all starts with education! The rich get richer because of education, not their football programs.

How has Cooper benefitted any more than Ryle, Boone, or Conner?

 

Easy. It kept kids from leaving the new unestablished program for the successful and established program. You don't think Cooper kids would have bailed to Ryle if allowed?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.