Kill the Electoral College

02Ram54

States in the south are not going to let the east coast and CA determine the race.

The Electoral system will outlive me.

This would be defeated as a Constitutional amendment. That's why this circumvents that. All you need is states with 270+ EC votes to agree to the pact, and it's over. And that can be done. We're halfway there already.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you imagine the turmoil the country would go into if the election results came up 49.7 to 49.4? We'd have to have a national recount. Look what happened to us when one freaking state had a recount.

No chance.

By expanding the pool of votes that matter, you decrease the likelihood of an election that hinges on a small number of votes.

When you're talking 100M+votes what exactly is "a small number of votes?"

That's exactly the point. Just like a larger sampling universe reduces a poll's margin of error, a larger sampling universe reduces the percentage that, mathematically speaking, would rationally trigger a recall.

So, 02Ram's guy got the popular vote so he's not interested anymore? Exactly why it will never happen. The people wanting it done will change from election to election.

Wouldn't his guy winning the popular vote make him more likely to want to get rid of the EC? Anyway, you're probably right about the last part. If Romney won the popular vote it might have gotten the right on board with the left still bitter about the 2000 election and possibly propelled some change, but otherwise no real push for it. I just don't think there's a good argument for keeping it.

So, 02Ram's guy got the popular vote so he's not interested anymore? Exactly why it will never happen. The people wanting it done will change from election to election.

Um, I was working. I don't knows if you noticed, but I was posting after midnight last night and had to be in Evansville IN this morning.

In any case, you're wrong and here's why: the pact is already entered into by enough states that we are halfway there. Those votes took place over the course of years. Ratifying the agreement in other states is going to be a multi-year effort as well. I believe that just one more 'split decision' would accelerate the process, especially if it's a Democrat elected with a minority of the votes.

Obviously, my thread is a much hotter topic if Romney gets the popular vote, but this is an issue I'm behind regardless of outcome or personal investment in a candidate. If a Democratic nominee loses the popular vote and wins the Electoral College, it changes my opinion not at all.

As a card carrying member of the GOP (just an expression, I don't think we really have cards :D), I for one do not want to get rid of the electoral college system.

I would however like to make on small change, give out electors by congressional district. If Obama wins 7 congressional districts in a state and Romney wins 5 spilt the states electors the same way. Could add one for the overall state popular vote winner as well. That would come closer to matching the popular vote without putting all of the focus on just a few states. I think Nebraska and Maine do something similar to this now. The only thing I don't like about current system is winner takes all in a state if they win 250K or 250 votes.