Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Whatever happened to...?

Featured Replies

The Famous Recipe Classic?? I remember it being a big deal back when I was in HS. Hopefully some of my NKY brethren can help here.

Are there still many Famous Recipe's around to warrant funding a tournament? I know of one in Covington and that's it.

Are there still many Famous Recipe's around to warrant funding a tournament? I know of one in Covington and that's it.

 

There is still one in Bellevue. I believe this tourney dried up because of funding number one and then I believe there was some issue with the need to be in school.

There is still one in Bellevue. I believe this tourney dried up because of funding number one and then I believe there was some issue with the need to be in school.

 

Covington, Bellevue, Latonia, Florence, and Maysville.

Covington, Bellevue, Latonia, Florence, and Maysville.

 

I have contacted them about bringing the tournament back, but have heard nothing. I have talked to Dale McMillen also about it and he said that they used to give scholarships from proceeds, but something happened around that aspect of the tournament and they stopped it.

There is still one in Bellevue. I believe this tourney dried up because of funding number one and then I believe there was some issue with the need to be in school.

 

The Bellevue store is now called Lee's Chicken.

The Bellevue store is now called Lee's Chicken.

 

Yes, Lee's Famous Recipe chicken. Tom Cummins used to own the stores, but I am not sure if he is still involved or not.

The only time I have stepped foot in Famous Recipe in the past 20 years was to have lunch with JOAT.

Covington, Bellevue, Latonia, Florence, and Maysville.

Falmouth

  • Author

Thanks for the input, folks!

The two biggest tournaments in NKY were thte Famous Recipe Classic and the Turfway Park tournament held by Scott. I still remember SK beating a highly touted Middlesboro team in the mid 80's. I also remember the beatdown we took in the finals of the '91 tournament to Paul McNight and the Blue Tornado of PT.

The two biggest tournaments in NKY were thte Famous Recipe Classic and the Turfway Park tournament held by Scott. I still remember SK beating a highly touted Middlesboro team in the mid 80's. I also remember the beatdown we took in the finals of the '91 tournament to Paul McNight and the Blue Tornado of PT.

 

Who was on that Middlesboro team?

Who was on that Middlesboro team?

I remember their big man, Lawrence Buell, I believe he was a McDonald's AA canidate.

For years my Dad's printing company printed the programs and the tourney passes, guess who got in for free for years? :banana:

Ahhh no wonder we didn't make money Lawnboy lol. The Famous Recipe Classic was an outshoot of the Famous Stars Program. Tom Cummins still owns the Northern Ky. stores. The Stars program honored scholar athletes and gave out almost $50,000 a year in scholarships for 20 years. Cummins bought the 40 plus Cincinnati stores and because of unforseen costs and situations the tournament and program had to be stopped for lack of funding. The tournament closing certainly left a void. Tom was given the NKADA Distinguished Service Award for his generous support.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.