Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Shelby Valley 91 David School 6

Featured Replies

I have read all the post on both sites about how much disrespect Shelby Valley had for the David School. Frankly, passing judgement going on hear say is just as disrespectful.

 

I was at that game. Booher started three starters, (M. Riddle, J Bryant, and Johnson). He also started Thomas and J. Justice. Jackson did not play because of illness and C. Riddle was on the bench with a hurt shoulder. Booher played the starters 3 minutes and then took them out and they SAT the rest of the game on the end of the bench cheering for the David School. Contary to some post about the starters going back in. May I repeat myself, they SAT on the end of the bench the rest of the game cheering for the School of David. Booher played very few of his juniors and sophomores. Matter of fact, he played two eighth graders and 3 freshman most of the time.

 

David could not hit the broad side of a barn that night. They took all the shots they wanted to. They made bad passes and threw the ball right into the hands of the Shelby Valley players. Most of the time the Shelby Valley players would move out of the way to let David drive to the goal, only David couldn't put it in the basket.

 

Short of the Valley players sitting down on the court and refusing to play or putting the ball in the goal for David, I see no other way this game could have gone.

 

I am not a big fan of Coach Booher myself, but he was not disrespectful of David.

 

From my point of view, notice I said from my point of view, the boys from Valley did everything they could do to help David score. David could not put the ball in the hole.

 

I might add, all the Shelby Valley fans were also cheering for the school of David.

 

Shelby Valley did not choose to play them twice in a season. They have to because the KSHAA put them in the district with them.

  • Replies 94
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read all the post on both sites about how much disrespect Shelby Valley had for the David School. Frankly, passing judgement going on hear say is just as disrespectful.

 

I was at that game. Booher started three starters, (M. Riddle, J Bryant, and Johnson). He also started Thomas and J. Justice. Jackson did not play because of illness and C. Riddle was on the bench with a hurt shoulder. Booher played the starters 3 minutes and then took them out and they SAT the rest of the game on the end of the bench cheering for the David School. Contary to some post about the starters going back in. May I repeat myself, they SAT on the end of the bench the rest of the game cheering for the School of David. Booher played very few of his juniors and sophomores. Matter of fact, he played two eighth graders and 3 freshman most of the time.

 

David could not hit the broad side of a barn that night. They took all the shots they wanted to. They made bad passes and threw the ball right into the hands of the Shelby Valley players. Most of the time the Shelby Valley players would move out of the way to let David drive to the goal, only David couldn't put it in the basket.

 

Short of the Valley players sitting down on the court and refusing to play or putting the ball in the goal for David, I see no other way this game could have gone.

 

I am not a big fan of Coach Booher myself, but he was not disrespectful of David.

 

From my point of view, notice I said from my point of view, the boys from Valley did everything they could do to help David score. David could not put the ball in the hole.

 

I might add, all the Shelby Valley fans were also cheering for the school of David.

 

Shelby Valley did not choose to play them twice in a season. They have to because the KSHAA put them in the district with them.

 

 

Well then as a parent/fan of Shelby I appluad you for coming forward and speaking out. But still scoring 91 points had to take some effort on the part of Shelby. Why not take the air out of the ball to keep the score down?

Well then as a parent/fan of Shelby I appluad you for coming forward and speaking out. But still scoring 91 points had to take some effort on the part of Shelby. Why not take the air out of the ball to keep the score down?

Don't you think its a little more embarrising knowing the team is just dribbling around you and not scoring than score 91? I'm sure they could have scored 150...

Well then as a parent/fan of Shelby I appluad you for coming forward and speaking out. But still scoring 91 points had to take some effort on the part of Shelby. Why not take the air out of the ball to keep the score down?

 

I believe that would be a violation of the rules, but I can't get the relevant section of the KHSAA handbook to download.

 

What were Valley's 8th-graders supposed to do? Intentionally throw the ball out of bounds?

I'm certainly not going to try an defend Shelby, East Ridge, Buckhorn, or any of the others who are chosing to run up the score of this program; as anyone who knows the least bit about basketball, knows you can design an offense to hold down the score somewhat in this situation. Those in charge of the schools in question, should be ashamed of themselves; and hopefully all will get the chance to someday "have the shoe on the other foot"!!

 

My questions, as I'm unfamilar with the David School are:

 

1. Why would they chose to play a varsity schedule with a team that sounds uncompetitive with an average freshman program? Why not start with a JV or "club" schedule until your program matures?

2. What are the "problems" the players at DS have?

3. Why would anyone actually press a team like this, for even a possession??

4. How large a school is David and why don't they play other weaker programs around the state, similar to some of the other small academies, etc.?

 

Question #1 Don't know

Question #2 see post 29 and 32

Question #3 my question

Question #4 they are in the same district and the district seeds its teams for the brackets and for whatever reason they play two distirct games against each other, thus the reason for the two games.

I believe that would be a violation of the rules, but I can't get the relevant section of the KHSAA handbook to download.

 

What were Valley's 8th-graders supposed to do? Intentionally throw the ball out of bounds?

Agreed... sometimes you can't help that your that much better than someone... however, full court press during the game is not necessary at all.

I believe that would be a violation of the rules, but I can't get the relevant section of the KHSAA handbook to download.

 

What were Valley's 8th-graders supposed to do? Intentionally throw the ball out of bounds?

 

 

Violation of rules? Come on......beating a team by a lesser score than you can in this case is against the rules. You know, I now understand Shelby Valley........

 

You play whats called stall ball and it isn't a violation of the rules of the KHSAA. You just might want to look up the mission of the KHSAA and the word sportmanship.

 

I am done with this....you just don't get it....

No, you're the one who just doesn't get it.

 

32 minutes of stall ball would be even more embarassing to the David School than what actually occurred.

 

What should have happened? Ned Pillersdorf, David's coach, should have called the thing off at halftime.

 

And the people at the David School shouldn't have listened when a certain official brought them a proposal while the whole realignment fight was going on in 2004.

 

To answer your question above, here's is the David School's mission statement as shown on its website:

 

Our school serves high school students who are deficient in basic academic skills. Our students have either dropped out of school or are at risk of dropping out and are referred to us by public school personnel, social service agencies or their parents. They fell behind early in their school life and never caught up, a few have been considered the class troublemakers. More than 75 percent of our students come from families that live at or below the poverty levels.

 

Our students are not incapable of learning; rather, they have generally not received adequate attention from public schools and/or their parents. They come to David for a renewed opportunity to succeed.

 

I'm not saying they should not be a member of the KHSAA and admire what they're doing with those students. I do, however, question the wisdom of entering district play with what amounts to a second-year program in its first year of KHSAA membership.

Also from the schools website:

 

"During the 2002-2003 school year, an intramural boys basketball team was formed. Coached by a parent volunteer and David School staff the team had a wonderful experience, learning about team play and sportsmanship. The basketball team continues to play today. Unfortunately, in the absence of a school gym, the team has to travel 16 miles to practice and must play all of its games on the road. Continuing the belief that all at The David School are equal, every player gets to play in games regardless of athletic prowess and all players are supportive of each other and respect the guideline. In spite of the obstacles, the Falcons still persevere season after season."

 

I applaud these young men for their fortitude. They are learning many life lessons during this basketball season. I have personally seen them play and each and every young man gives his best while on the floor. Some could learn from them.

And I guess they have no plays to stall or any lag defense. They just can't help it. I'm sure none of the JV kids couldv'e dressed for this game. Boo Hoo, poor Shelby Valley.

 

If we wanted we could say the same for Red Bird, June Buchanon, and East Ridge who all beat David School by 65+ margin. East Ridge beat them by 84 and just because SV beat them by 85 you're making a big deal of it. Let's be honest if I were a JV or Freshman player who got to see some action here I would have played hard and not made it look like playing "monkey in the middle" on our side of the court because that seems like a bigger slap in the face than beating them by a million.

I have spoken to the players at David and they are proud of their efforts. The David School has learned a lot about basketball and team play which will make them better players and people. If you would take the time to go and watch them and not just feel sorry for them I think you would also be blessed.

They are good kids who don't want or need your pitty.

That being said these games are good for younger players to receive playing time. It sounds like Shelby Valley did just that.

What goes around comes around. Shame. I guess they think they are world beaters,eh. I guess this is how you get your kicks when your team can't beat the big boys.

They are only allowed so many on the bench anyways.

 

Not true...The only time you are limited by how many you can dress is in the post season...They could have 25 kids sitting over there if they wanted...

 

If they played full court man the whole game then that is definitely inexcusable!! :irked:

I have read all the post on both sites about how much disrespect Shelby Valley had for the David School. Frankly, passing judgement going on hear say is just as disrespectful.

 

I was at that game. Booher started three starters, (M. Riddle, J Bryant, and Johnson). He also started Thomas and J. Justice. Jackson did not play because of illness and C. Riddle was on the bench with a hurt shoulder. Booher played the starters 3 minutes and then took them out and they SAT the rest of the game on the end of the bench cheering for the David School. Contary to some post about the starters going back in. May I repeat myself, they SAT on the end of the bench the rest of the game cheering for the School of David. Booher played very few of his juniors and sophomores. Matter of fact, he played two eighth graders and 3 freshman most of the time.

 

David could not hit the broad side of a barn that night. They took all the shots they wanted to. They made bad passes and threw the ball right into the hands of the Shelby Valley players. Most of the time the Shelby Valley players would move out of the way to let David drive to the goal, only David couldn't put it in the basket.

 

Short of the Valley players sitting down on the court and refusing to play or putting the ball in the goal for David, I see no other way this game could have gone.

 

I am not a big fan of Coach Booher myself, but he was not disrespectful of David.

 

From my point of view, notice I said from my point of view, the boys from Valley did everything they could do to help David score. David could not put the ball in the hole.

 

I might add, all the Shelby Valley fans were also cheering for the school of David.

 

Shelby Valley did not choose to play them twice in a season. They have to because the KSHAA put them in the district with them.

 

Excellent post... :thumb:

What would have been wrong with SV practicing a "protect the lead" game... you know, moving the ball a minute or so before attempting a shot ?? (THAT sort of ball control practice could even benefit them later while holding the score down...)

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.