Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should Greenup County drop Football?

Featured Replies

With a 15 game losing streak that appears well on it's way to 21, alumni (including me) have started talking and asking if it is time to drop football from GC's athletic program.

  • Replies 43
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd never want to see anyone drop football. I'd like to see some consideration where the success of a program is considered in classification. I have heard that this is being looked at. If Greenup and some of the other struggling programs were playing each other all the time there would be a better chance to pull out of the losing cycle.

 

It would be nice to see the top teams with numbers, tradition, and trophies all playing each other as well.

There is value in Football that goes way beyond winning and losing. Football provides male role models to boys that otherwise would have none. The values of commitment, work ethic, team work and discipline apply well beyond your life in sports that is usually over by 18. If you were to drop your football program, what would the youth that is currently being served be doing? I would also add that there is science out there that indicates that participation in a varsity sport has a positive impact on academic achievement.

 

No No No!

With a 15 game losing streak that appears well on it's way to 21, alumni (including me) have started talking and asking if it is time to drop football from GC's athletic program.

 

What are your thoughts on what the problems are?

No...

With a 15 game losing streak that appears well on it's way to 21, alumni (including me) have started talking and asking if it is time to drop football from GC's athletic program.

I don't think so. Greenup has the ability to field decent teams, but they never really do. One former Greenup Head Coach once told me when asked, "What is the problem with Greenup County Football?", "Greenup County is a 1A school playing a 4A schedule". Now for those that don't know what that means, he meant Greenup was fielding players from one small part of the district instead of the entire district.

 

In 1973 Greenup County High School was formed by combining three small schools (McKell, Wurtland, and Greenup City), this made a large school. In 2012, there are still people who are mad about the consolidation. There are still arguments about McKell vs. Wurtland and how Don Gullett scored 72 points on Wurtland in a football game (Still a state record by the way). For a long time all the administration was from McKell and all the coaches were from McKell which give the appearance of only McKell being worried about. That has changed somewhat, but the argument is still there.

 

One current problem I see at Greenup County is, they have too many fathers of players coaching. I am a dad, and I loved coaching my son in JFL, but when you have that many dads coaching at the varsity level you give the appearance of inappropriate. It's just not a good idea. Then you have other young adults saying, "I'm not going to get to play because so and so's dad is a coach", and "he never gets in trouble because his dad is a coach". It's just not good.

 

And, not to be too critical, but I have noticed from some players that have transferred to Raceland from Greenup (and most transferred back to Greenup) that they were not taught how to be football players, and how to win and loose the right way. Many of them were used to just going out and playing school yard football. They didn't like nor respect authority. They didn't know who to behave in a way that was to honor their team and their teammates. They were not used to being a part of a team. Our players were close knit and didn't fight with each other, but many of the Greenup transfers wanted to fight with each other. They just needed more guidance. Those that chose to stay got it and turned in to good players and good people. Those that chose to go back to Greenup did not.

 

Then there's the state take over of the school. We had this argument several weeks back that most schools that excelled in sports also excelled in the classroom. Pretty much every football power you look at, has high test scores as well. They are linked. Greenup County has to fix the problems inside the school before they can fix the problems on the football field.

 

The football team needs a disciplinarian as a head coach to teach the players how to act and what to expect. Then teach them to play football. After that happens, the numbers will grow and the team will have success. Until that time, the streak continues.

  • Author
What are your thoughts on what the problems are?

I would say the biggest problem use to be parental intrusion. Now, I would say the lack of assistant coaches and overall attitude of the kids on the team. GC had a bye week in week 3 and 7 kids missed up to 3 practices each to attend the County Fair. GC is a 4A school playing with a roster of+/- 40 kids in all 4 grades. Now, I don't know any answers and I don't pretend to have solutions but I started this thread to see if anyone has an idea of how to "fix" a program that has an At-Large State title in it's trophy case and a ton of talented kids that have played. So, if anyone has a suggestion, the thread is yours.

When I was in high school, I went to Raceland and lived right across the street from Greenup Co. HS. I can tell you firsthand that I knew of 2 families of boys who would have loved to play football but the logistics were unrealistic. They bussed those boys miles home and back. They farmed and fall just wasn't a time that they could miss working at the farm for the livelihood of the family. I know times have changed, but the sheer size of the county sometimes makes some kids literally out of play. I don't know it to be fact, but was told that Greenup had more bus route than any other county in KY.

  • Author
When I was in high school, I went to Raceland and lived right across the street from Greenup Co. HS. I can tell you firsthand that I knew of 2 families of boys who would have loved to play football but the logistics were unrealistic. They bussed those boys miles home and back. They farmed and fall just wasn't a time that they could miss working at the farm for the livelihood of the family. I know times have changed, but the sheer size of the county sometimes makes some kids literally out of play. I don't know it to be fact, but was told that Greenup had more bus route than any other county in KY.

I believe you are correct about the amount of bus routes. Also, it was discussed at length back when I was affiliated with the GC program about some type of bus system or other transportation arrangements and to be honest it was truly a huge monetary pit fall. It just wasn't economically possible to bus the boys after practice. For that matter, it wasn't feasible for transportation during the Summer practices either.

^ RAM ... The last part of your post (#7) is the absolute best argument in favor of keeping football. Football is a way to get/keep kids that are not focused on school, focused on school and, as you said, helps with discipline in the school. Football is part of the solution if the school puts energy into it.

 

Pendleton County in N. Ky. is facing a similar non-competitiveness problem. My understanding is they are withdrawing from their district (Highlands, Cov Cath, Holmes district) and will keep playing football but will not compete to be in the playoffs. Greenup County's first step should be to tone down the schedule. Play teams you can compete with. Don't worry about what happens in the district games. Get some wins. Get the kids feeling some success and build from there. If you still can't get W's, then maybe the Pendleton County path needs to be considered. But I would not consider dropping football.

I believe you are correct about the amount of bus routes. Also, it was discussed at length back when I was affiliated with the GC program about some type of bus system or other transportation arrangements and to be honest it was truly a huge monetary pit fall. It just wasn't economically possible to bus the boys after practice. For that matter, it wasn't feasible for transportation during the Summer practices either.

I do not mean to diminish the problems the school faces but, do the cheerleaders have trouble getting to practice and paying for cheer competitions and long trips to Florida for National Compititions?

 

My mode of think here is: if football is a priority, there will be a way for it to succeed. If it is not a priority, there will be excuses why if fails.

^ RAM ... The last part of your post (#7) is the absolute best argument in favor of keeping football. Football is a way to get/keep kids that are not focused on school, focused on school and, as you said, helps with discipline in the school. Football is part of the solution if the school puts energy into it.

I know we are both big proponents of football and my argument for the sport is, the football field is as much of a classroom at the science lab and the English room. The football field should be used to make quality people. If that is done, the wins will come.

I know we are both big proponents of football and my argument for the sport is, the football field is as much of a classroom at the science lab and the English room. The football field should be used to make quality people. If that is done, the wins will come.

 

I absolutely could not agree more, Ram, and I am first and foremost a science teacher. I also work for a football team that has seen its share of losing streaks and minimal win seasons. However, we've raised some mighty fine men out of those programs. Football has value far beyond the record at the end of the year.

How many Greenup Basketball and Baseball players also play football?

 

Is it not forseeable that this could hurt other athletic programs if these kids chose to go to a school where they could still play football along with the other sports?

 

If my son loved laying football and Greenup took that opportunity away from him, I would have no issue letting him go to a Russell, Raceland, or even a Wheelersburg (OH) so he could have the opportunity to play the game.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.