Need some suggestions for quick...inexpensive get away.

Jumper_Dad

We've had a rough year, my wife lost her mother earlier this year. Our various job responsibilities have kept us from having much family time together. This week we are all off Fri-Sun...looking for inexpensive driving distance trip ideas. If all else fails we'll end up in Gatlinburg, but that's kind of a last resort. Looking to go no farther than 200-250 miles...Come on BGP give me your ideas...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure where you live or how old your kids are......but.....Holiday World in santa Claus Indiana is 1.5 hours outside of Louisville.

Nice family (somewhat cheesy) amusement park, but the best water park (Splashin' Safari) in these here parts........3 world record water rides added in each of the past 3 years........

Campground (Lake Rudolph) connected but has some cabins and there is also a hotel and other cabins to rent.....

Not sure if Family oriented was what you were looking for...but highly recommend it....

Holiday World Theme Park & Splashin' Safari Water Park in Santa Claus, Indiana | Holiday World

If I didn't live so close to here, I'd love to have a little weekend get-a-way here. :lol: General Butler

I do a lot of walking in the area where the cottages are. They seem really nice and everyone seems to enjoy them. I noticed that they don't stay booked up however, so that is a good thing on short notice. The lodge also has wonderful rooms, a very nice restaurant, and overlooks the Ohio River. There is a lake with paddleboats and canoes, mini-golf, and a full 18 hole golf course. You are about 40 minutes away from the east end of Louisville, where there are some nice places to shop and eat. If you do come this far and you really want to treat your wife, I'll recommend my favorite tearoom and winery. It'll be an additional drive, but sooooooooooo worth it. Awesome food and the only place that I will buy wine at.

With that said, if you don't choose this state park, there are many others that I am sure would make for a great stay.