Let's discuss travel ball!

:scared:

Ok. So i'm new at all this and would like to learn about AAU and travel ball. We have been in AAU basketball...wasn't really impressed with our particular league, but did like the extra practice and playing time.

We have a sophmore pitcher (now) that just finished her third year of HS ball. Last year she was out due to injury most of the season. She has decided to pare it down to one sport now...softball.

What are the pros and cons? What realistic chance does she have of making a team as a pitcher and how do you find out about teams/tryouts?

Are you better off just taking private lessons in the off season?

Lots of questions.....

What are her goals after HS? If she wants to play in college a travel ball team would be her best bet. If she just wants to have the best HS possible lessons would work.

Cons for me are, I won't have a true free weekend till November and of course the money.

Pros for me are it is a whole lot of fun your kid is getting better by facing better compeition. I get to spend a lot more time with my daughter than I would if she didn't play.

I think the pros and cons are different for each family.

If you have a desire to play college sports you have to play aau. Baseball, softball and basketball rarely watch high school games. College coaches have told me they want to evaluate players when they are playing against players of similar talent. High school players can pad their stats against below average competition. A player in baseball may bat 500 and hit several home runs against pitchers throwing 70 mph, if he goes 0 for 6 against the two pitchers he faces that throws 90 mph, he may not be a college prospect. AAU allows you the opportunity to compete against the best.

I would not trade those years for nothing. My son and daughter played select for many years. We have been from Memphis to Cooperstown to different parts of Florida and many, many points in between. My son has been to Gatlinburg area so many times it is crazy. It was an absolute blast. I am trying to figure out what to do with myself now.

You may have to make your way around to some fields. I would say most select teams are getting ready to play or are underway. What area are you from? Someone on here may know a coach or team that could use a player. What age is she? I figure 15-16. Her age as of May 1 will tell what age group she would fall in, 15-U, 16U, ETC.

As SSC stated, there is a tourney in the Northern Kentucky area this weekend.

I hoped this helped some. Let us know if you have more questions. PM me if you have something else.

Good Luck

I think she's leaning towards playing at a smaller ky college. Looks like we will need to get into travel ball, I'd just like to find something halfway local:) is it correct that most of these teams have tryouts in early fall? Guess we will start the hunt;)

I think she's leaning towards playing at a smaller ky college. Looks like we will need to get into travel ball, I'd just like to find something halfway local:) is it correct that most of these teams have tryouts in early fall? Guess we will start the hunt;)

On the Ohio fastpitch connection you can find something....I am sure there are teams looking for players even this late. Something I would consider is possibly just offering to guest play for teams that way you can try to find the right fit for your family. There are many levels of travel ball and many teams so if you look hard enough you may find a perfect fit.