Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chapman In the Closer Role

Featured Replies

Just pick up a Rays Relief Pitcher, Joe Madden will use anybody to close as the save is the most overrated stat in the game...O wait Madden hasn't gone closer by committee since '09...

 

The way the Yankees keep getting hurt though it wouldn't hurt to predict who might be next in line and pick them up :lol:

 

:lol:

 

I actually already have Fernando Rodney. :lol:

  • Replies 343
  • Views 32.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:lol:

 

I actually already have Fernando Rodney. :lol:

 

14 saves isn't too shabby...

14 saves isn't too shabby...

 

Yeah. He hasn't disappointed. Losing Marshall's saves is going to hurt badly.

Where's Crash Davis? How many of you without googling it know what a starter does between starts? Anyone? When I get my answer, I'll present more of my Chapman/closer case.

 

Not sure what this has to do with anything, but I'll give you a summary.

 

Day 1 (after gameday): Run, Run, Run, Lift, Run, Run, Run, work on flexibility. Try to get the soreness out of your upper body so you can begin throwing again.

 

Day 2: Build up those legs with some more running & lifting. Probably work on some flexibility. Bullpen session (at about 65-70% intensity) aimed at working on your control or perfecting a new pitch. Get some long tossing in and I'd imagine some MLB pitchers begin reviewing film for their next opponent.

 

Day 3: Long toss, light lifting & work on flexibility, probably look at a bunch of film.

 

Day 4: Very light physical workout (if any), keep the pitch chart (not sure if MLB pitchers do that or not) & get ready for tomorrow.

 

Day 5: Gameday

 

You can probably add "run" a few more times each day, including running the steps. They'll probably shag fly balls a few times, too.

 

Brutal amount of preparation for one start every 5th day.

I'm patiently waiting for spindoc to "present more of his Chapman/closer case."

Dusty answered my questions yesterday. Chapman closing is perfect if they are willing to use him like they have.

Not sure what this has to do with anything, but I'll give you a summary.

 

Day 1 (after gameday): Run, Run, Run, Lift, Run, Run, Run, work on flexibility. Try to get the soreness out of your upper body so you can begin throwing again.

 

Day 2: Build up those legs with some more running & lifting. Probably work on some flexibility. Bullpen session (at about 65-70% intensity) aimed at working on your control or perfecting a new pitch. Get some long tossing in and I'd imagine some MLB pitchers begin reviewing film for their next opponent.

 

Day 3: Long toss, light lifting & work on flexibility, probably look at a bunch of film.

 

Day 4: Very light physical workout (if any), keep the pitch chart (not sure if MLB pitchers do that or not) & get ready for tomorrow.

 

Day 5: Gameday

 

You can probably add "run" a few more times each day, including running the steps. They'll probably shag fly balls a few times, too.

 

Brutal amount of preparation for one start every 5th day.

My point is that if Chapman is a starter, he works every day but one. Some chart the day after their start, but the point is that to think he throws 7 strong then can relax for 4 days isn't reality, so why can't he work from the pen in consecutive days?

 

As for presentng my case, I don't think there's much left to present. I still would love to see him start, but there's not a firemen of the year award because closers are just another pitcher who ends the game most often. It's crucial and Chapman is the best in the game at it right now. And it's not a close race.

spindoc, I love the role if he will be used like he has been and if they are willing to let someone else get the save if they're up 3 and he's been used a lot lately which it looks like Dusty will do. I'll ask you this directly though, why have teams won at almost the exact clip for over 100 years when holding a lead going to the 9th inning? The stats don't support the argument that a true closer is all that important.

spindoc, I love the role if he will be used like he has been and if they are willing to let someone else get the save if they're up 3 and he's been used a lot lately which it looks like Dusty will do. I'll ask you this directly though, why have teams won at almost the exact clip for over 100 years when holding a lead going to the 9th inning? The stats don't support the argument that a true closer is all that important.
Do those stats not include the pitching of a closer? And what about the rates of large margins in the ninth? I think a closer, in whatever manner you have one (or a committee) is vitally important.
Do those stats not include the pitching of a closer? And what about the rates of large margins in the ninth? I think a closer, in whatever manner you have one (or a committee) is vitally important.

 

 

Yes they do, but you would think if a closer was that important the win percentage would rise with the specialized closers roles. They haven't spiked like you would expect.

Ok. For argument's sake, with a lead, whether it's a 1 run lead or a 4 run lead, let's just say that Sam Lecure was the guy that always pitched at the end of the game. You feel like the results would be as solid?

Ok. For argument's sake, with a lead, whether it's a 1 run lead or a 4 run lead, let's just say that Sam Lecure was the guy that always pitched at the end of the game. You feel like the results would be as solid?

 

I think he would be pretty close to the league average Obviously what Chapman is doing right now is pretty special. If he's used like he has been I'll be pretty happy.

Here's the thing about Chapman. There are no numbers to look at. There are no tendencies. There are no situational advantages. No matter who you trot up there, whether a dead red hitter, lefty, right, switch hitter,,,,there are no matchups that favor the hitter. Doesn't matter who they are. In the 7th, Marshall is situationally advantaged at times. Same with Ondrusek. But Chapman, doesn't matter.

Here's the thing about Chapman. There are no numbers to look at. There are no tendencies. There are no situational advantages. No matter who you trot up there, whether a dead red hitter, lefty, right, switch hitter,,,,there are no matchups that favor the hitter. Doesn't matter who they are. In the 7th, Marshall is situationally advantaged at times. Same with Ondrusek. But Chapman, doesn't matter.

 

Oh I agree with that. That's why I want him to be able to be used in the 6th or 7th inning with bases loaded 1 out and protecting a 2 or 3 run lead. Obviously if he's not needed before the 9th he's their best option in the 9th. Just think he may be their best option earlier sometimes too. He's totally dominant.

I'll be highly surprised if you see AC in the 6th again. Not again until he becomes a starter.:thumb:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.