Full Contact Alumni Football Game: Paris/Bourbon County vs Harrison County

In their version of Friday night lights, former football players from Bourbon County High School, along with former football players from cross-town rival Paris High School, are teaming up this Friday night to battle long-time Colonel and Greyhound rival Harrison County in the first annual Gridiron Alumni Bowl. The game will be played this Friday night at 7:00 at Adena Springs Field, home of the Bourbon County Colonels.

This game is being presented by Gridiron Alumni, who sponsor games all over the United States. After “County Pride” as the Bourbon/Paris team will be called, the Gridiron Alumni will be in Mt. Sterling on Saturday night to host a game between interstate 64 rivals Montgomery County and George Rogers Clark.

To play in an alumni football game, a player must be at least 18 and played for their local high school team. The Gridiron Alumni carry insurance for the schools and stadiums but do not carry player insurance. If they are interested in player insurance, however, they will refer you to a company that does player accident insurance. Each player had to pay $79.00 dollars to participate and that fee includes their shoulder pads, helmets, jerseys, pants, girdles, hip pads, thigh pads, knee pads, tailbone pads, locker room personnel, gate workers and referees. In addition, they pay for stadium insurance costs, and rent the field from the schools. Player fees help to cover these costs.

According to the Gridiron Alumni, every Alumni game is different. “Some teams are loaded with young, fast, strong athletes. Some teams are loaded with old, out of shape, weak athletes,” said a representative from Gridiron Alumni. “One thing we’ve learned is that it doesn’t mean anything. There hasn’t been a team that didn’t want to win.”

As far as rules, the game will be played under high school rules with a few exceptions. And one of those exceptions in the excessive celebration rule. Unlike high school and college, in this game, one is encouraged to get their dance on or their pen out to sign an autograph. However, a player is not allowed to celebrate over a player, but next to them is fine, while at the same time ... keep it clean! They will play 12 minute quarters for teams that have fewer than 40 players. For over 40 players on a team, they will play 15 minute quarters. The biggest change to the rules has been the removal of blitzing and no crack-back blocks.

“We at Gridiron Alumni are dedicated to providing former players one more chance to play football and relive those glory days, along with one of the most unique and fun ways to raise money for schools or charities.”

You can visit the Gridiron Website and learn more about Alumni football at: Unique Opportunity to Play Alumni Football!

Pretty cool that its actually.gonna happen.

I know a few yrs ago they tried to do something similar around here and it all fell through for some reason. I know it wasn't due to lack of participation. Lots of guys signed up.

How many trips made to the local emergency room?

WOW... I can just see some 35 year old dad trying to relive his football years from 17 years ago...... that could be ugly in lots of ways.

I guess I'm the only one who sees so many ways this could go badly. Honestly, can't believe anyone affliated with the schools would go for it in any way.

The VAST MAJORITY of guys I know who were good football players, left the playing part of the game behind shortly after their career's died a natural death. Some coach, some follow the sport, some even toss it around in a flag or touch game, but full contact?

My guess is what that leaves is a bunch of guys signing up to play because they still have something to prove. That's not good when it comes to men and full contact. I think what would likely happen most places, is it wouldn't be guys looking for one more shining moment, but instead a bunch guys who never had there's looking for a first one.

Just can't see how this is a good thing.

This is actually a tv show if I remember correctly. It's actually some what entertaining, funny to see highlights of these skinny cut up running backs that now look like they should be playing lineman not running back. Usually they get the cheerleaders involved as welll I believe and give a good back story as to the rivalry involving the teams playing. It's not something you watch to see a competitive game but rather for entertainment and to see sometimes how hard these people will push themselves just to get back to what they used to be(or slightly closer to it). I'm not 100% sure but I believe they have to do a workout regiment for several months prior to the game in order to help avoid the type of bodily destruction that many have already mentioned.

Harrison County won the game 28-16. No injuries and a very nice crowd attended the Alumni event.

Glad it went well. I still see a lot of bad possibilities, but if it worked out well for you guys, more power to ya.

I guess I'm the only one who sees so many ways this could go badly. Honestly, can't believe anyone affliated with the schools would go for it in any way.

The VAST MAJORITY of guys I know who were good football players, left the playing part of the game behind shortly after their career's died a natural death. Some coach, some follow the sport, some even toss it around in a flag or touch game, but full contact?

My guess is what that leaves is a bunch of guys signing up to play because they still have something to prove. That's not good when it comes to men and full contact. I think what would likely happen most places, is it wouldn't be guys looking for one more shining moment, but instead a bunch guys who never had there's looking for a first one.

Just can't see how this is a good thing.

Well said. I agree 100%