Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

OutlawJoseyWales

10 Post Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by OutlawJoseyWales

  1. Why belittle your own talent?? Pikeville is a fast improving team. Solid up front...with an All-State caliber talent in Harmon. If anything, Pikeville should feel good about their chances at the 1A level. Not many teams in 1A are going to have the depth that Belfry had.
  2. That's just about the craziest post I've read....and a slap at a future Hall of Famer in Phillip Haywood. Maybe it's hard for you to understand..but most people already know that this Belfry team is NOT AS GOOD as the 2003 and 2004 STATE CHAMPIONS. They're very young...and still a work in progress. Whether you win by 4 or 40....anytime you beat a quality opponent...you grow from it. Pikeville is very talented....and will create their own noise at the 1A level. Word of advice: Try winning a couple of football state championships at Johnson Central before you start telling people their future Hall of Fame Coach can't develop a team over the course of a season.:sssh:
  3. I would hope Matney would show some class and at least keep it under 60.
  4. Obviously, alot of emotions on the field..and off the field. Couple of observations and comments: As I stated earlier in the week...Harmon is an absolute load. IMO, he's one of the best backs I've seen in the Mtns.....compares closely with BHS great Doug Howard. I knew Belfry would have problems with him..and they did. IMO, for the biggest part of the game, P-ville controlled the LOS. Anytime you can consistently avg 4-5 yds on 1st down..you're definitely doing something right up front. That being said...despite the strength up front...Belfry is just simply a little better. Better depth and much better coaching. Haywood did a marvelous job in keeping his team composed throughout the 4th qtr. At 20-17, all the momentum was with the Panthers. One defensive stop and the game's probably their's. But Haywood and the Pirates stayed calm and composed and methodically wore Pikeville down. You can say all you want about penalties, yards gained by which team, crowd noise...yada yada yada. Those things don't mean a hill of beans if they don't equate to wins. Regarding the scores....yes, Pikeville gave Belfry their 1st score..via the penalty. Belfry gave Pikeville a score on the long run by Honaker. Pikeville gave up one on the KO Return.....Belfry gave up one on the fumble inside the 15. This game was just about as even as they get...until coaching and depth come into play. And just as the previous 5 games indicated...this one was no different. Belfry has better depth and better coaching. Game over. Good Luck to both teams come playoff time.
  5. That may very well be the case. I'm not a Middlesboro fan so I hope no one thinks that I'm "talking them up". I know what I saw last year in the Belfry game..and they've got a lot of talent....especially, on the offensive side of the ball. Side note: What's going on in P-burg? This junior and senior class dominated the entire region as 7th and 8th graders at Adams Middle. Obviously, alot of things can change....but I really thought that group of kids were going to be very, very special. Great size, speed and big numbers. Just curious.
  6. I know you're just "kidding"....but a tasteless comment nevertheless.:cry:
  7. This thread has gone downhill. Can we not get back on the game?
  8. What's the weather forecast?? Here in Central KY...we've had nothing but rain, rain and more rain. Not sure if either team benefits if it's a rainy, miserable night...but Belfry has experienced some fumblitis this season. Any thoughts??
  9. If you just review the overall postings here on BGP...everyone mentions Russell, Mercer, Belfry, Sheldon Clark, Trigg and Owensboro Cath....rarely...despite Middlesboro's ranking are they mentioned as a favorite. So from that vantage point...I personally think they're under the radar...
  10. I think plenty of people "know" about Sheldon Clark...so IMO, no way are they a darkhorse team. They're legit. Middlesboro on the other hand is a team that needs to be watched. They're somewhat off the radar...and by season's end...they'll be diffucult to handle.
  11. Belfry vs. Prestonsburg
  12. He is certainly the real deal. Very dedicated. IMO, his future (post HS) may be on the defensive side of the ball.
  13. Actually, I think Belfry's D-Line has played better since moving the Totten kid to NG. His size and quickness has shored up the interior and freed up the LB's a little more.
  14. I agree. I don't see SV being able to compete with P-Burg, SC or Belfry.
  15. You can call holding on every play if an official wanted to. I get the impression that you feel like the HC coaches are instructing/teaching their kids to hold. Am I correct?
  16. Believe me....I know Pikeville has alot more than Harmon....but IMO, he makes everyone else better....and Belfry will need to neutralize him and make Pikeville utilize their other weapons. Harmon is a dangerous 1st down back...that is consistently averaging 4-7 yds on 1st down plays. When he does that..Pikeville is very dangerous, because of their supporting cast. However, if you can contain Harmon on 1st--then you're forced into situations that will play into Belfry's strengths. So, controlling the LOS is the single biggest thing to watch IMO...because that'll dicate what direction P-ville goes in.
  17. Why fuss amongst fan bases? When it's all said and done...the best team has usually won in this series. Pikeville controlled the 80's...Both teams split the 90's and Belfry has dominated the series over the past 5 years. It all comes out in the wash. Both fan bases have tremendous programs to cheer for...and IMO, both fan bases truly respect both programs. Pikeville and Belfry have ALWAYS REPRESENTED PIKE CO AND THE MOUNTAINS WITH CLASS. We can argue programs until the cows come home...but the bottom line is that both are tremendous and well represented. Friday's game will be another smash mouth classic....Belfry's terrific trio vs. Pikeville's Man child (Harmon). Sit back and enjoy it......because life's too short not to.
  18. I don't think they'll be any surprises come Friday night. Both teams are well scouted...and both will be prepared. I highly doubt the Pirates will be looking past P-ville.
  19. IMO, Lack of experience is WHAT beat you. Players having to deal with the pressure of performing...and that gaining that presence comes from performing in clutch situations....especially playoff situations. The experience factor was very evident in Belfry's 2004 run to Louisville. It was evident in Breathitt's title runs..as well as Boyle's. Programs develop a winning mindset. I don't necessarily believe that a program has to win a state championship to have the mindset....but at some point to validate what's being preached to the kids...you really need to produce in pressurized situations. IMO, JC finally has a coach that can take your football program places that they've never been. Matney is an excellent motivator and he's not afraid to mix things up. He's also a Belfry graduate...so you can't go wrong there:D
  20. Harrison is in full rebuilding mode. New QB..new receivers..breaking in younger backs. Not alot back from last years squad. In fact, they've only got probably 35-40 kids on the roster. Very small number for a large 3A school.
  21. I know what a chop block is...what's he talking about "tackling the defense"??.....sounds like holding to me...of which I haven't seen out of this HC group.
  22. They tackled well against Anderson....but poorly against Rock and Boyle. From a penalty standpoint HC is very strong...only averaging 1-2 penalties per game.
  23. Harrison is improving...but they have no depth. I simply can't see the Breds pulling this one out. LC by 3 scores.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.