Everything posted by TheBallCoach
-
2025 Bell County Bobcats
It’s soft, but I’m sure it’s difficult to schedule out in EKY as is, who were they supposed to schedule to make it more challenging without biting more than they can chew? Scheduling Corbin, Johnson Central, Belfry wouldn’t seem beneficial, I suppose they could’ve played some of the better 1A schools.
-
2025 Warren East Raiders
Add Track and Field to that list of extracurricular activities as well, had a 21”7 long jump which is quite impressive considering his size of 6’2 215, which is the size of D1 Safeties, hell NFL safeties for that matter. Only being 18 as well, they’d put a little more lead in his pencil and possibly make him a LB, you could even let him flip the field with one swing of the leg, the possibilities are endless. Runs a 4.53 in the 40, game speed though? I didn’t see him get ran down once in his career and he broke a lot of long runs. Fits all the credentials to get the looks, and I’m unsure why he didn’t quite frankly, but I truly believe this is a testament to how these college programs view HS recruiting today rather than the talent of the player we’re talking about. No reason he shouldn’t have gained a few offers from some smaller FBS programs. You’re right though, at the end of the day it’s his path and whatever he chooses to do it’s the bed that he made. Personally as a coach, mentor, and fan of the game I hate to see someone who has all the ability in the world to be great give up before even turning over the stone, life doesn’t go anywhere, the responsibilities, bills, it’s every day until we croak, but the timer you have to play the greatest sport on earth has an expiration date. Have to see it through.
-
2025 Warren East Raiders
I don’t disagree that you can make an argument for any of those names you’ve mentioned, especially Britt, unworldly numbers indeed. Holton in my opinion is the biggest what if that has come through the Warren County area to start the 21st century, didn’t have great numbers for the Raiders but showed his ability at the next level in big time fashion, so that’s understandable as well. However, Parsley leaves Louisville Road behind as the All-time Rushing TD leader, #2 in Rushing yards, atop of every passing record, undoubtedly the best punter the school has seen and add to that his defensive prowess that we got to see in his final two seasons. A modern day Jim Thorpe if you will, I have a difficult time not giving him the throne; though I do understand the level of competition he had to face was rather favorable compared to the list above, so it’s reasonable to say why others would have that title as the best. Outside of the rankings of the wonderful past Raiders, how you say @VF111, you’ve seen the young man play, and seen enough talent to know whether or not they have a gift that not many people are fortunate enough to have. Would you have mentored him to chase what’s next in the game of football to see where it could possibly take him or tell him it’s time to start paying bills and being a working adult for the rest of his life?
-
2025 Warren East Raiders
I disagree, if it were someone who didn’t have the capability of taking advantage of the possible prosperity that the next level has to offer in this day and age then sure go out on your high horse as the best player to ever come through lil ol’ Warren East HS. That’s just not the case when you’re talking about this young man who has all the physical attributes and intelligence you need to be great. I’d agree with you if he had won 3 state championships in a row and was tired of the grind and felt accomplished already, I know a lot of Bowling Green Purples from the 2012-2014 3 peat run they had that could’ve easily played at the next level, just got burnt out, which I still think was a silly decision not to at least give it a try but it’s understandable. I’d argue that since he didn’t get the offers from the programs he believed he could play at it led him to question his belief in himself, which is asinine because the kid is a stud. Makes you question his maturity and the people in his corner, which he’s 18, and I didn’t know what I wanted from this world either so that checks out. However, Coaches, Parents, friends, they’re failing the young man from a mentorship perspective by not being boisterous about what he could become, kids are easily persuaded when you have that belief in them that they may not be able to understand at the present time. With that being said every guy that I know that has had the luxury to play on Saturdays and even Sundays knows it becomes strictly business after HS, love and passion for the game is nice to have but in the grand scheme it’s all about business. It’ll be a decision he’ll regret for the rest of his life, not even attempting to see where this great game could take him, at minimum walking on at WKU and seeing where you stand before hanging it up, because once it’s over there is no going back.
-
2025 Warren East Raiders
Unrelated to the upcoming season but surprising news to me nonetheless and thought I would share, I’m hearing that the 2025 WE graduate Dane Parsley is not furthering his athletic career at the next level. Very strange and uncommon that a player of his magnitude is not willing to test the waters in collegiate ball. If you’ve seen the young man play then you’d understand the confusion I have, 6’2 215, sub 4.5 40, brute strength with aggression while also being a very intelligent student on and off the field. May not of been a Quarterback at the FBS level, but could’ve made an FCS program very happy. Defensively on the other hand, I have a hard time believing that he couldn’t have played a big role in someone’s program at the highest of levels. Hate to see one of the best athletes in the schools history playing days come to an end.
-
7-On-7: 2025 Edition
Warren East High School is hosting a 7 on 7, July 15th and 17th. Teams include: Warren East, Warren Central, South Warren, Bethlehem, Glasgow, Green County, Metcalfe County, Westmoreland (TN)
-
How many schools are there in KY that've never had any other schools in the same county with football programs?
Familiar with the SOKY area and I’ve never thought about it but there’s quite a few who are the lone school of their county. 2A - Monroe County (Tompkinsville for some years back in the day), Todd County Central 3A - Adair County, Butler County, Edmonson County, Union County 4A - Allen County-Scottsville, Franklin Simpson 5A - Grayson County No District - Ohio County Unsure the context of the discussion, but I did just name some decent programs and also some bad ones.
-
2025 South Warren Spartans
Not out of the blue at all, I’d counter by saying regardless of who either of those teams play the gate will always be good. I only question the scheduling because the Spartans have became the 6A prodigy of Western KY overnight, not many have the opportunity to knock off the big guns in the north but with Brandon Smith at the helm he’ll always have those boys in the mix. It just doesn’t seem beneficial for them playing in the highest class of football in our State and having somebody like that on the schedule with our RPI format in the State playoffs. I liked @AppalachianTactician point of view with the discipline aspect, especially in the era we live in today that makes the most sense.
-
2025 South Warren Spartans
I’d argue that is a bit of a reach @DragonFire, the win in 2022 was awesome for the program but not surprising for that season considering that was arguably their best team of all time and vice versa for the Spartans, but they also got the first ever meeting. However, the other 7 matchups have been a running clock for the other side, it’s just not a competitive game and if it wasn’t usually on Senior night I’m not really sure it would bring a crowd either. I don’t see Greenwood on the schedule this year and the Cougars should’ve jumped ship also. I’d assume Coach Adler believed his QB Ridge Holman was going to be in the blue on Friday nights for this upcoming season but that won’t be the case and I doubt his presence would’ve changed the outcome. Great coach who brought a team from the bottom of the barrel to become at minimum serviceable but to think you can go head to head yearly with the Spartans at a school like Logan County is rather silly in my opinion.
-
Somerset-New multi-sport facility
There are no plans for East nor Central, they had their band aid put on after the School District decided it was a better idea for them to build a brand new mammoth of a school in the prosperous part of town opposed to fixing the issues at the other ones. They did end up renovating the two a few years later and I do believe East and Central have better facilities than a lot of programs but to compare it to what is going on at South Warren and Greenwood is comical. My frustration isn’t that the golden children of the School District have the financial and community support to build these nice fancy indoor facilities for their student athletes but the fact that they put the students on the other side of town on the back burner of getting a quality education due to the circumstances in the classroom setting that made it difficult. You’re talking about a Warren East school that had literal trash cans catching rainwater from the night before while you’re sitting at your desk attempting to listen to a lecture in 2012. All in all, if the Spartans wanted a turf field they would’ve got one at their command, when the Raiders asked for a roof to prevent their students and faculty from breathing in mold and disrupting their classrooms with rainwater they said we’ll just build another school and worry about you all at another time. Still have the same attitude I had all those years ago about this situation, it truly is a damn shame.
-
Somerset-New multi-sport facility
Some schools have wealthy alums who care about their community and sports programs and/or looking for a tax write off. Not uncommon, I look at South Warren High School who just recently eclipsed their 10 year mark as a school and their set up is remarkable. That statement was even valid before they just built one of the best indoor facilities in our state, but that was solely raised by their Softball and Football programs (or so I’ve heard). All in all it’s beneficial for some and puts shame to others.
-
2025 Warren East Raiders
I decided to hop on the lovely BGP this afternoon and we got @Purple88 talking about some Warren East Raider football last week. Was going to let spring ball play its way through but I don’t mind giving an opinion on the opening day of the spring practice window. We’ll start at the top with Head Coach Tanner Hall, 12-11 through two seasons out on Louisville rd. This will undoubtedly be the toughest test for Coach and his staff with the graduation of Mr. Raider, Dane Parsley. Not only offensively but defensively as well, and quite frankly as a punter too who could boot it 50 or break a fake punt for a big gain. With all that being said, if I had to pick one side of the ball that I would believe to be in a better position come this fall it would have to be defensively. They played some good football at times and with DC Cortez Barber having gone through a season as a first year coordinator, I assume he learned quite a lot and although they do lose the leading tackler in Parsley they bring back quite a bit on that side of the ball and some of those guys are pretty talented and have a knack for the ball. The glooming question for anyone in and around this Raiders program is what are we going to see offensively. It’s been an absolute nightmare for teams around the area these past few seasons knowing that Parsley is going to find a way to wreck your weekly gameplan. There is no more luxury for the Raiders of having a ball player who is able to find a way regardless of the situation. East lost their RB to graduation in Jackson McCool who recently signed with the Union Bulldogs, but they do bring back a few of the OL. Like many years the Raiders just haven’t had the luxury of high caliber big guys who want to play football on that side of town. I’d argue that the trenches will be serviceable but not dominant and unfortunately that’s what I believe they’ll need in order to move the ball this year. I noticed the transfer of the Sophomore QB Xavier Isable and I don’t believe anyone is more excited than the SR WR Brayden Lightfoot, the position was a HUGE question mark coming into the offseason and as a big time playmaker on the outside not having someone to get you the ball is a problem. I will say that I don’t like that you used the word “raw” @Purple88 unlike the Purples and a couple of the other schools in the area, I wouldn’t consider this a school grounded in the sense of knowing who they are as a program and I don’t believe they develop their talent to the fullest of their capabilities. It’s a very young and inexperienced staff on this side of the ball so they will truly be tested on their knowledge of the game and how they go about scheming defenses on a weekly basis. As mentioned above the capability of turning a disaster of a play into a 1st down or even a TD is no longer in play, not to say Isable couldn’t be that but I’ll have to see it to believe it because what I’ve witnessed in Parsley was truly extraordinary. I’m very interested on what we will see come fall, it’s going to be a lot of new faces having to step up and you don’t want to say it’s a “rebuilding” year in HS football but there will be quite a underclassmen that will be asked to play a role. I have the schedule posted and I will say it’s a little strange to see Warren East playing a couple of Hardin County schools, wish they would’ve continued playing Barren County or even rekindled the series with Daviess, Edmonson, or Russell County. Overall I think it’s a decent schedule for the Raiders though so I have no complaints. If you asked me today I’d say these Raiders start off the year 2-2, get a District win against Calloway County and lose their next five and miss the playoffs. Just too many question marks and no matter the 7on7s or spring practices it’s just going to be a very inexperienced team. I think their ceiling is possibly going .500 and hitting the road the first round of the playoffs, and I think that sort of route would have to be driven by some exquisite play on defense. Best of luck to the Raiders, if they can win a few games and catch a win against Franklin Simpson or Allen County Scottsville on the Smurf Turf you’d have to consider that a solid year.
-
Open Job: Butler County
If I’m the Bears I’m handing over the keys to Zeke Woodcock or Elijah Flener, couldn’t go wrong with either one of those guys. It is a very sneaky talented basketball school and I would argue some of Dockery’s teams underperformed in his time in Morgantown, nonetheless he finished out strong. Barring a Lawson Rice injury before they tipped off this season I do believe they could’ve made it back to Rupp and possibly contended for the State Championship. Happy retirement Coach!
-
Bowling Green vs. Great Crossing Predictions/Updates (KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16® Championship)
Saw the Warhawks play the Bears of Butler County in Morgantown to start the new year, it was a great game, the Bears were able to play their game and shoot the three ball. Price got his 30 and the team shot 46% from 3 but Butler County fell short 78-71. LJ Holman will be the difference maker in this one similar to the game I’m referencing, he ended with 23 and was a menace defensively. The issue wasn’t the perimeter defensively, the Bears couldn’t stop the Warhawks from getting to the basket, I see a similar sequence of events going to unfold this evening at Rupp. My heart is telling me to take the Purples because regardless of the outcome in this game what an incredible year, but deep down I just know Moreno and company will be too much all around in all facets of the game. If Montgomery County could’ve gave them a challenge earlier this afternoon I may of predicted a different outcome. 64-51 Great Crossing
-
How do you deal with a key player missing practice because parents make them do odd jobs?
The problem is once you start bending rules for a player even if it’s from a good place in your heart, others will expect similar leniency for other issues that may arise. I had a buddy of mine back in the day who was a very solid HS football player who had to stop playing his JR year due to taking care of his family and making sure bills were paid. Luckily he was able to enjoy his SR year thanks to some change in circumstances at home but he knew, the coach knew, and all of us knew it wasn’t in the best interest of the team to rely on a young man who had bigger issues in life to worry about and for him it would’ve created more of a challenge to handle the unfortunate situation he was tasked with. All in all it’s never something you want to face, key player or not in order to run a successful program it is crucial to have all hands on deck and everyone bought into what is being done in the facility or on the field. That’s the special thing about this sport it creates men who can look adversity in the face, strap up the helmet and go full steam ahead. I know even in the brief 2 years in a well run program leading to his departure from the team that it hardened my friend and made him step up and become the leader of the household at 16 years old, because if not him then who? Just a tough topic to really dig in on because situations can vary from one to the next but personally I would just let it go, though I would still be there as a mentor to the young man that has been apart of my program for however long.
-
2025 Logan County Cougars
It’s became a habit of mine for a couple of years now to give Coach Adler his flowers every chance I can. Just a decade ago these Cougars were getting obliterated by Bowling Green 91-10 and hoisting a 42 game losing streak spanning from the end of 2012 all the way until week 10 of the 2016 season. A complete transformation from what it was to the present day, and they have become a formidable opponent for the majority of South Central KY. On to the bad news, what the Cougars hoped to be an experienced SR QB leading this team come Fall, Ridge Holman is now a student at the Davidson Academy (TN). In my opinion with the graduations of Parsley and James from WE and PT, the 6’4 200lb Holman would’ve been touted the best QB in the 6 team district and possibly the region. A loss of that substance will not be replenished overnight, I’m unsure who will take the reigns of this Cougars offense but whoever that may be they’ll be surrounded by quite a few experienced teammates so the transition may not be too bad. Players to watch: Cooper Parker (SR) - 6’3 220 TE/DE/LB, has the size and also the speed to go along with it. He led the team in rushing TD’s with 5 last year on just 30 carries and had 57 tackles on defense as well. He’s just a football player, I expect a bigger role defensively, and offensively as well by getting more touches outside of the red area. Maliq Ford (JR) - 6’4 275 OT, great size and strength, after getting the first year jitters off I believe this young man will start dominating the LOS the next couple of years. Tysean Thomeczek (SO) - 5’7 150 RB/WR/FS, had a really great year for a freshman at the varsity level. A few picks defensively with 27 tackles, while also hauling in 30 catches for 408 and 5 scores. Very shifty and has a knack for the ball. The team has a lot of hidden speed, had Damani Goodloe (SR) hit a top speed 20.8mph thanks to some fancy tracking vest they were using but if Adler can find ways to get that speed in space it could be the difference in a few wins or losses. They do a good job of getting everyone involved in their game plan. It can be difficult to scheme against a team with a plethora of options but if they’re not great at what they need to do it can cause an implosion from within due to nobody knowing who is going to make that play when needed. If their QB would have stayed I would’ve had this team winning 7 games and possibly hosting a playoff game, but with the most important position on the field being filled by an inexperienced player it’s hard for me to see them breaking .500. Best of luck to Coach Adler and those Cougars of Logan County; should be some really fun games for them, opening with Hart County will be a great test to start, ending with the Spartans though? While that is probably not the best idea, not shying away from the competition you have to find a way to respect it.
-
Barren County 58 Warren Central 44 (4th Region Quarterfinal)
I figured their reign has been impressive but putting the number on it really shows how dominant they have been. In my opinion they started a lot of different lineups throughout the year and just never seemed to gel the way most of these WC teams do. I’m not sure winning a State championship this year was on the radar but I know a first round exit in the region wasn’t on my bingo card.
-
Barren County 58 Warren Central 44 (4th Region Quarterfinal)
Barren just seemed to want it a little more this evening, and by the time the Dragons realized they needed to lock in, it was far too late. Better team doesn’t always win but an inspiring effort from the Trojans made what seem impossible a reality. The Dragons losing in the first round of the region, just unbelievable.
-
Daviess County names Quadarius Wallace head football coach
Defensive backs.
-
Daviess County 67 Butler County 57 (3rd Region Quarterfinal)
The Bears will not be heading back to Rupp this Spring, but the Panthers team who just sent them packing is a very good basketball team who will more than likely fill that role representing the 3rd Region. Was a good game, Butler County was never able to take the lead even though they cut the lead to 2 with 2 minutes left in the game. The JR guard for Daviess County Jonathan Moss is one hell of a ball player and closed it out with some big free throws.
-
Metcalfe County 45 Warren East 44 (4th Region Quarterfinal)
Tough break for the Lady Raiders, they put together a nice comeback in the 2H too.
-
3rd Region Tournament Preview
Who is your pick to take home the 3rd region? @ApolloFan98
-
3rd Region Draw
Going to be a great tournament, I’d say the winner of Daviess/Butler will take that side of the bracket and will meet the winner of Grayson/OCath on the bottom half. I’d like to see the Bears go back to back and head on up to Rupp arena but I don’t believe without Lawson Rice that is a possibility. Will take a heroic effort from Ty Price which isn’t too bad of a thing to wish for he is fully capable of shooting the lights out but can also shoot them right out of the game. I’ll take the Cougars of Grayson County to hoist the trophy this year, some really good 3 point shooters and they play team basketball. If they are able to make my opinion become a reality it would be their first region title since 2009.
-
4th Region Draw
Even if Warren East would’ve got the District runner up bid that Glasgow swiped away from them your analysis of it being a far weaker side of the bracket would still be valid. I know the two teams at the top are capable of competing with top teams across the state on an annual basis but this really is a very bad region from top to bottom when you really peel back the curtain. It may be a little far fetched to have this thought but I would like to see FCA continue to build a decent basketball and possibly compete in this region. With no other private schools in the area I don’t believe this thought is too off base. So that leads to my question for you @DragonFire, like the past two decades in the next ten years will this continue being a two horse race or could you see any of the other schools in this region becoming competitive outside of a possible once every ten years team comes through a program?
-
Grayson County 70 Butler County 61 (12th District Championship)
Ty Price had 25 for the Bears. The Cougars had an 18 point lead at the half and never let Butler County get into it, Grayson County didn’t trail in this contest. I’d say the 3rd region is wide open and should be a fun tournament at the Sportscenter per usual.