Everything posted by thehotsnakes
-
If you could build a 1A All-Star team?
I'm not saying that they couldn't be beat. But, I think it would be a heck of a game and wouldn't be surprised if T won, even by a bit.
-
Small, Medium, and Large State Champs
Have 8 classes, and then take those 8 state champions and have an Elite Eight tournament. Boom. Great football for everyone. Eliminate the 3rd and 4th place teams in the post season. Have the Ultimate Championship on New Years Day.
-
Trick Plays
A "trick" play has to be called at the correct point in time. And it has to be a direct play off of something you've been doing well. If you're throwing it 80% of the time and aren't good at running the ball, then a halfback pass might not be the best option. Because they aren't keying in on stopping the run, and they're already thinking pass anyway. But, if you're killing a team with something, having a trick or wrinkle off of that, can win a lot of games. Once people have seen it, and you've scored off of it, they have to always prepare for that being a possibility. And if they don't, then they're going to give up some points on it. As far as the guy at Pulaski Academy (coach who never punts), I think if you practice that and use that as your identity, then more power to you.
-
If you could build a 1A All-Star team?
If you hand picked a 1A all-star team, 3 deep at every position in all 3 facets of the game, could they beat Trinity?
-
Fulton County Pilots
I really doubt that if they won 7+ games, and then got housed in the 1st round of the playoffs, that there would be that much of a let down. Considering they haven't had a winning record in 12 years, I doubt that many people around the program are expecting some Black Friday football. Edit: Honestly, if they won 5 games, everybody around the program should be over the moon.
-
Is it too early to write off Danville as a 2A contender?
Just looking purely at their record, I'd say someone might have some concern. But, I'm not going to forget about them this early. Honestly, I won't write them off until their season is over. This feels like a weird conversation to have, especially at this point in the season.
-
KHSAA Participation Numbers Reach Record Levels in 2017-18
I think the biggest issue with youth programs is when the people in charge want to just have the good players/good teams, and don't focus much on growth. Too many people use it as an ego boost and almost an attempt to find the next superstar. And I'm not sure if it's a growing percentage or not.
-
3A Adair County vs 5A Barren County Predictions
Last year, I believe Adair had 3 defensive scores. That'll be hard to replicate again, and that could easily change the outcome. But, I think Adair wins a low scoring affair. And, I think I might say first one to 10 gets the W.
-
KHSAA Participation Numbers Reach Record Levels in 2017-18
Is this purely anecdotal or is there something to back it up? Because the increase in participation might be a good counter to your argument. I mean, it makes for a good chain email that my uncle will undoubtedly send me about the "kids these days," but I'm not so sure the data backs it up.
-
KHSAA Participation Numbers Reach Record Levels in 2017-18
The only competing fall sport would be soccer, correct? And I'm not sure how much soccer is pulling kids from football, overall. The kids I went to high school with who played soccer were VASTLY different than the kids on the football team.
-
1A #6 Campbellsville vs. 4A Taylor County
And until last year, Adair had won the last several games and scrimmages. Plus, they're 20 miles apart. It's local high school football. Play your local rivals for bragging rights, geez.
-
KHSAA Participation Numbers Reach Record Levels in 2017-18
I wouldn't say football is endangered or even threatened, really. With the numbers they give, that only equals about 2-3 players per team in the state. That's not exactly something that I'm willing to panic over. Although those numbers are obviously weighted towards some programs and not someone like Trinity, that still isn't a number that shows enough of a decline overall for me to be concerned. I would love to know what the roster totals are for teams since we have gone to 6 classes. Like, what's the average roster size for teams in a certain class over that time span.
-
Biggest Takeaways from Two Weeks in Class 3A?
3A is kind of weird again this year. Boyle appears to be the team to beat. 2-5 (maybe 6ish) can compete with Boyle, and could very well beat them on any given day, but I'm not prepared to pick them to do so. And as bad as it may sound, I think the 20th team is closer to beating the 7th team, than the 7th team would be to beating Boyle. 3A really has a pretty good level of competition between all the teams, just not much balance.
-
You're the Commissioner: Running Clock
I wanna say 2013 or 14.
-
What impact does the running clock have on the game?
Game reps are game reps. I doubt any coach gets upset when his young guys get in the game.
-
You're the Commissioner: Running Clock
I voted 35 point, but I'm not opposed to this idea.
-
What impact does the running clock have on the game?
The kids going in during a running clock know why they're getting in. They know they aren't going to make a game winning play at the last second. Most reserves in these situations go in either hoping to expand the lead, or make it more respectable. They know they aren't single handedly winning a championship.
-
What impact does the running clock have on the game?
Running clock used to be 45 up until a few years ago, correct? That's insanely impressive.
-
What impact does the running clock have on the game?
If you're down by 36, is there really that much of a chance at coming back? I would rather the running clock start at 35 instead, that way no one has to go for 2 and kind of look like a jerk. It's really hard to have a lot of possessions after a running clock is started. I mean, if you get one starting the 2nd half, you're going to have maybe 2 possessions per quarter after that. I'm a big running clock advocate in every capacity. I don't think there is a downside, other that people not getting to watch a longer game. Edit: And if you're a team that can effectively control time of possession and bleed the clock, you really could easily hold the ball for an entire quarter.
-
McLean County 21 Trigg County 14
I'd like to see them crack the top 10. Nobody is expecting them to compete for a championship, but considering where they were 5-6 years ago, it'd be a pretty cool story on a turn around.
-
Frederick Douglass
What would make them any different compared to the other schools in Lexington? Large schools in Lexington have been average, at best, except for an occasional year or two. If it's a talent issue, FD is drawing from the same population source.
-
Fulton City down to 9 eligible players....yet, pushing forward
This is the best idea in theory, but I'm not sure how it would be implemented. Because 1 coaching staff will be out of a job.
-
3A #12 Paducah Tilghman vs Liberty Tech (TN)
Liberty Tech Magnet High School almost sounds like one of those stereotypical made-up schools from a movie or something.
-
Goal line offense
Considering there are plenty of teams on all levels who operate solely out of the gun, I'm not sure I'm going to give a ton of legs to that argument.
-
4A #2 Franklin-Simpson at 3A #6 Elizabethtown
I'm not as much into home field advantage with most high school games. I don't think it's worth as much as some people think it is.