Biggest Takeaways from Two Weeks in Class 3A?

gchs_uk9

We're two weeks into the season so it is way too soon to make any definitive statements about teams but what are some early season thoughts on teams in Class 3A?

Is it Boyle County again looking like a title contender? Central's dominating defense? Corbin showing no signs of drop off at quarterback? Lexington Catholic putting up huge numbers? Paducah Tilghman? Elizabethtown and Larue already losing a game? Others?

Even though I don't think anyone was on board with my thinking, if you go back and look at my posts from before the season started, you can see that I was extremely high on this Tilghman team.

I listed all the reasons why I felt that way in every area of the team. It has played out exactly the way I thought so far. I see in games exactly what I see at practice every day. Team chemistry is by far the best I've seen at Tilghman, which I also mentioned then.

Outside of losing Coach Duncan, things are going well. We all miss him tremendously, but Coach Smith hasn't skipped a beat.

I know we haven't proven a thing yet, but I believe in time everyone will see that this team will be a tough out. This Friday will show us a lot.

Even though I don't think anyone was on board with my thinking, if you go back and look at my posts from before the season started, you can see that I was extremely high on this Tilghman team.

I listed all the reasons why I felt that way in every area of the team. It has played out exactly the way I thought so far. I see in games exactly what I see at practice every day. Team chemistry is by far the best I've seen at Tilghman, which I also mentioned then.

Outside of losing Coach Duncan, things are going well. We all miss him tremendously, but Coach Smith hasn't skipped a beat.

I know we haven't proven a thing yet, but I believe in time everyone will see that this team will be a tough out. This Friday will show us a lot.

This week will be a big step towards revealing how much the Tornado has turned the corner.

I mentioned in another thread that PT could make a strong case at the #6 spot, and in the AP poll they were #5. I could get on board with that.

Past that 5-6 spot, though? I’m not sure there is a lick of difference between teams there down to say the 20 spot when all is said and done.

But that could also be said for most, if not all classes.

There are a slew of teams within a TD or two of one another IMO. Home or Away? Break here, break there? Yeah, there are a whole bunch in that “pretty good ball club” group, but they are not contenders.

3A is kind of weird again this year.

Boyle appears to be the team to beat. 2-5 (maybe 6ish) can compete with Boyle, and could very well beat them on any given day, but I'm not prepared to pick them to do so.

And as bad as it may sound, I think the 20th team is closer to beating the 7th team, than the 7th team would be to beating Boyle.

3A really has a pretty good level of competition between all the teams, just not much balance.

Boyle appears to be the team to beat. 2-5 (maybe 6ish) can compete with Boyle, and could very well beat them on any given day, but I'm not prepared to pick them to do so.

And as bad as it may sound, I think the 20th team is closer to beating the 7th team, than the 7th team would be to beating Boyle.

3A really has a pretty good level of competition between all the teams, just not much balance.

I think people are sleeping on Casey County a little bit. I'm interested to see what type of fight that they have in them.

I think people are sleeping on Casey County a little bit. I'm interested to see what type of fight that they have in them.

Casey County has a good team but they are no where near the top 5 teams. We will know more when they play Corbin but I just don't see them making any noise come play off time.

For the record, I love Casey County. My wife is from there.

Absolutely correct. The first handful? Arguments to make a run at it? That 6,7-20 spot there isn’t that much difference at all IMO.

Corbin looks better then I thought they would this year. I really like the Estep kid at QB.

When Corbin had to replace their safety last year in the playoffs, I was really hoping to see Estep in that spot on defense in the finals. He is a difference maker wherever he plays.

We're two weeks into the season so it is way too soon to make any definitive statements about teams but what are some early season thoughts on teams in Class 3A?

Is it Boyle County again looking like a title contender? Central's dominating defense? Corbin showing no signs of drop off at quarterback? Lexington Catholic putting up huge numbers? Paducah Tilghman? Elizabethtown and Larue already losing a game? Others?

It appears to me that the top 4 of Boyle Co., Central, Belfry and Corbin have looked the part as the top of this class, with Lex Cath and Tilghman looking to get into the mix.