Newport Central Catholic 48 Brossart 32

Best defensive performance of the year for the Breds. Big games from Michael Bueter, Brady Hightchew, Jake Schulte, Evan Morse and Nick Seibert. NCC took care of the ball against the Brossart pressure and played superb defensively. Brossart had to work hard for every basket. Drew Mcdonald went down in the first quarter with a high ankle sprain. Looks like he may be out for a couple weeks. Great atmosphere and packed house on the hill. JV game was exciting as well. Freshmen Zack Pangallo hit 2 free throws with 1 second remaining to give the Breds a 38-36 victory. NCC student body was amazing. Basketball players should be very thankful for the school spirit they have showed them. Keep it up!

:thumb:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said NCC played great defense and made it very tough for Brossart to score. I guess its boring if you like games in the 60-70 range. NCC missed a ton of shots the first half but it was fun to see them play defense like they did. Brossart is really struggling on offense but NCC had a lot to do with that tonight. Guarantee you Coach Brannen is thrilled with their effort tonight. This game is always a battle and tonight was no different.

^^ True on both accounts. Breds defense had us more concerned about maintaining possession than running offense. We seem to be mired in a unrelenting shooting slump. Somehow we've got to find those sixty points we were averaging earlier this season.

Giving up 48 points to the Breds is normally acceptable defensively. Driving up on the hill tonight I'd have gladly given them 48 and felt good about it. However, a 3 point first quarter and a 9 minute draught will shake your already shaken confidence, and when we are only scoring 32 on our end, it looks and feels like a blowout.

Mustangs fans and players rarely leave the hill in a happy mood, and tonight was no exception. We have not won up there since Feb. 15th, 2002 - 10 years ago and feel about playing up there the same way they feel about playing in Alexandria.

We have talented players and a brilliant coaching staff. We will figure it out.

Congrats to the Breds - the better team on this night. Am bummed that Drew MacDonald got hurt. Speedy recovery Bubba!!!

Unofficially:

BB: Fardo 1-0-1/1-3, AuTrentman 1-0-0/0-2, Saunders 2-2-6/8-16, AlTrentman 1-0-0/2-2, JoJennings 3-0-1/4-7

Totals: 9-2-8/15-32...........16-6...........5-2

NC: Bueter 3-2-3/6-15, Hightchew 3-0-4/4-10, Ryan 1-2-0/0-8, Seibert 1-1-5/6-10, Miller 0-0-2/2-2, Morse 1-0-0/0-2, MacDonald 0-0-1/2-1

Totals: 9-5-15/20-48..........15-6..........4-1

BB........3........7........11........11...........32

NC.......9.........7........11........21...........48

Best defensive performance of the year for the Breds. Big games from Michael Bueter, Brady Hightchew, Jake Schulte, Evan Morse and Nick Seibert. NCC took care of the ball against the Brossart pressure and played superb defensively. Brossart had to work hard for every basket. Drew Mcdonald went down in the first quarter with a high ankle sprain. Looks like he may be out for a couple weeks. Great atmosphere and packed house on the hill. JV game was exciting as well. Freshmen Zack Pangallo hit 2 free throws with 1 second remaining to give the Breds a 38-36 victory. NCC student body was amazing. Basketball players should be very thankful for the school spirit they have showed them. Keep it up!

:thumb:

BIG TIME, even though they didn't contribute scoring wise, I'd take their efforts tonight every game. They both did a great job on Jennings (the young man is a load).

Was a little shocked, but it didn't bother me, when the Brossart student section broke out the infamous cheer, everyone knows it, "when NewCath was an ALL BOYS school" (hint hint) and the principal and AD seated next to them and it took the Golf coach, of all people, to tell them to knock it off. The place was so packed and it got quite "toasty", thought we might have some real issues with condensation on the floor. There were a few times they had to wipe the floor, but nothing to serious.

As mister cee said, "Great atmosphere" and I'm glad I got there early. It would not have been fun walking up the hill from the K-Mart parking lot.

Bishop Brossart....3-7-11-11 - 32

Newport Catholic..9-7-11-21 - 48

Bishop Brossart (16-6) -- Fardo 3, Al.Trentman 2, Au.Trentman 2, Saunders 16, Burns 2, Jennings 7.

Newport Catholic (15-6) -- Bueter 12, Hightchew 10, Ryan 11, Seibert 10, Miller 2, Morse 2, McDonald 1.

Edited by Lawnboy13
bad word

I was told this was the most boring game in the history of basketball.

I guess if your team only puts up 10 points in a half, I'd say it would be boring too. That being said, I think the defense that NewCath played really got Brossart way out of synch.

Not for NewCath fans.

While I think the NCC fans were delighted to get the win, even they were very frustrated in the first half with the coaches decision to slow the game down and play into the style that Brossart loves.

Edited by Xstreme

Fardo played like 31 minutes of this game and came away with this stat line - Fardo 1-0-1/1-3. He plain and simply needs to be more of a threat. He needs to come off of some screens or something other than just floating around on the perimeter.

Serious lack of continuity throughout. I would say some of that can be atributed to NCC's pressure, but Brossart has regressed offensively as the season has gone along.

NewCath's bigs did a really good job of controlling the area around the basket. Brossart was one and done all night.

While I think the NCC fans were delighted to get the win, even they were very frustrated in the first half with the coaches decision to slow the game down and play into the style that Brossart loves.
Clearly they didn't know what they were doing, right?

Yeah, I'm sure NCC fans were very frustrated with the outcome...:rolleyes:

Clearly, there is no leader on the Mustangs' team. Last night's team looked like the same one I saw at the beginning of this year; too many passes and not enought shooting. Someone needs to step up. Fardo? Eubel? Jake Jennings? Who is going to take control of this offense?

I never get tired of watching a certain NCC player who puts on a show whenever a foul is called on him. Think you've never fouled someone before? Quit the theatrics and play on.

Also found it odd that the refs did not make the NCC player leave the court after he went down with an injury and play was stopped for it while Brossart had possession. Shouldn't he have had to take a seat for a series?

And finally, Lawnboy, I'm surprised you didn't like that cheer since you long for the days when no girls roamed the hill. I agree though; Mel or Dick should have put a stop to that asap. One question: How in the world did you know who the golf coach at BBHS was? I'm impressed.