January 6, 201214 yr The fans didn't start that fight on the court, how ridiculous. I wouldn't call it ridiculous - I'd call it more along the lines of absolutely appropriate than ridiculous. Sure, it's ridiculous that their fans were acting the way that they were...but that's after the fact. If the Cov Cath student section acted this way at a game - fight or no fight - I would A) be embarrassed, and B) expect them to get as stern of a talking to as possible by as many of administrators and faculty as possible. These Xavier students are supposed to be "adults", but when they're not acting like the adults that they are expected to be, they sure as hell need to be called to the carpet and laid into for it. Throwing objects into the opposing student section is NOT being an adult. Granted, a lot of this may or may not be Xavier trying to save face, but regardless, they need to do what it takes - as a university AND as an educational body of the Catholic church - to see to it that their student section doesn't do that again.
January 6, 201214 yr The fans didn't start that fight on the court, how ridiculous. Hypothetical scenario: Highlands/Cov Cath b-ball game. Cov Cath is leading by 20 for the towards the end of the 4th quarter, and a brawl breaks out on the court in the final moments, and the Crazies start throwing trash over across the court at the Highlands side of things, and chanting about whatever you can fill in the blank with. You, a Highlands parent, walk away from that game thinking, "Well that student section from Cov Cath didn't start that fight. It would be ridiculous if they're reprimanded or punished for anything." Does that sound right?
January 6, 201214 yr Write on the blackboard 100 times: "I must not aim my paint pellets at the UC family section and players." :lol:
January 6, 201214 yr Hypothetical scenario: Highlands/Cov Cath b-ball game. Cov Cath is leading by 20 for the towards the end of the 4th quarter, and a brawl breaks out on the court in the final moments, and the Crazies start throwing trash over across the court at the Highlands side of things, and chanting about whatever you can fill in the blank with. You, a Highlands parent, walk away from that game thinking, "Well that student section from Cov Cath didn't start that fight. It would be ridiculous if they're reprimanded or punished for anything." Does that sound right? I am not condoning the behavior of the Xavier students by any means. I just think it is very tough to reprimand a group of students as a whole. Like someone mentioned, maybe they have a way to track every student who got a ticket but that doesnt mean they attended the game. Maybe they sold the ticket or gave it to a friend so when it was scanned it showed they entered when they may have not even gone to the game. Educating them on proper behavior is fine especially if they want to continue going to the games.
January 6, 201214 yr I am not condoning the behavior of the Xavier students by any means. I just think it is very tough to reprimand a group of students as a whole. Like someone mentioned, maybe they have a way to track every student who got a ticket but that doesn't mean they attended the game. Maybe they sold the ticket or gave it to a friend so when it was scanned it showed they entered when they may have not even gone to the game. Educating them on proper behavior is fine especially if they want to continue going to the games. It is tough to figure out who did what and who exactly needs to be reprimanded, but it would seem to me that Xavier's options are to either take some kind of action like this, or to do nothing. You'd certainly have to understand doing something along these lines instead of nothing at all...
January 6, 201214 yr Author At X students have to swipe their ID card at the gate to get in the game. They know who was there...
January 6, 201214 yr I am surprised anyone is doing anything except applauding Xavier's actions. I'm in favor of the actions...but I can certainly understand the sentiment that Xavier's actions are a reaction to fall-out, taken far too late after the fact. Why couldn't the administration decide to do something about the student cheering section in the week after the game? That's a good question if you ask me.
January 6, 201214 yr I'm in favor of the actions...but I can certainly understand the sentiment that Xavier's actions are a reaction to fall-out, taken far too late after the fact. Why couldn't the administration decide to do something about the student cheering section in the week after the game? That's a good question if you ask me. Exams? End of the semester?
January 6, 201214 yr Exams? End of the semester? This is a priority. If I'm a parent and I'm punishing one of my kids, I don't tell them "You really messed up, but we're both really busy right now, so I'll think about this in 3 1/2 weeks and punish you then." They could have come up with a punishment then and applied it later, or at least said that action would be considered and taken to reprimand the inappropriate behavior of the student section at the game.
January 6, 201214 yr This is a priority. If I'm a parent and I'm punishing one of my kids, I don't tell them "You really messed up, but we're both really busy right now, so I'll think about this in 3 1/2 weeks and punish you then." They could have come up with a punishment then and applied it later, or at least said that action would be considered and taken to reprimand the inappropriate behavior of the student section at the game. I agree, you cant punish kids like that. It has to be swift punishment. If they knew how to track the students then why not send out the memo right after the incident? I do think they had to do something though if the fans were acting this way. I only saw the replay of the brawl.
January 6, 201214 yr At X students have to swipe their ID card at the gate to get in the game. They know who was there... That sucks for the student that let someone else use their ID for the game!
January 6, 201214 yr At X students have to swipe their ID card at the gate to get in the game. They know who was there... Correct. The students that were there were the only students who got the email.
January 6, 201214 yr Author Is X trying to make themselves a total laughingstock? If so they are doing a good job... From wire story: But school officials said Friday that the sessions were canceled after swift and strong negative reaction. "Based on feedback about the reflection sessions from students, both those who received the dean of students' message and those who learned of it, as well as feedback from student leadership, it became clear we need to move forward on a different path," officials said in a statement. Instead, all undergraduate students will be invited to a discussion Tuesday at 7 p.m. at Cintas Center on showing support for the men's basketball team in a manner consistent with Xavier values. The event will be led by provost and chief academic officer Scott Chadwick, with the assistance of coach Chris Mack, student government President Ryan Alleman and representatives of X-treme fans. Attendance to the event, which was planned with student input, is not mandatory, and all students may attend future men's basketball games.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.