BGP Rankings

I too am surprised Mason was not ranked. Had they beaten South Laurel it would have been a no-brainer. I think they'll have to win three this week to get in, because a top 20 team should not lose to either Southwestern or St. X. But if they made at least the semis of the 5/3 Classic, I think they'll be in.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't believe I need to make a case for Pendleton Cty. They continue to take on all comers and have done pretty well with only one in-state loss to South Laurel and their other loss to St Louis Vashon.
Why was there any reason to think I was referring to Pendleton in that post? Their ranking speaks for itself.

I too am surprised Mason was not ranked. Had they beaten South Laurel it would have been a no-brainer. I think they'll have to win three this week to get in, because a top 20 team should not lose to either Southwestern or St. X. But if they made at least the semis of the 5/3 Classic, I think they'll be in.

Just as i was saying early this week will tell a lot. :thumb:

If you really want me to pick a team a two that should fall out than ill go with LexCath and DuPont Manual .Both these teams should have to work there way back in and in my book they have been given a free pass early.But like i said this week should tell a lot so well see.
Manual had dropped after the first week, but given their close losses to Warren Central and Doss (both higher-ranked teams) in the King of the Bluegrass, a case can be made that they showed enough to keep them in the bottom end of the top 20.

Beats me. Perhaps it is two methodologies going against each other. Henry Clay did beat Central, but that was two weeks (and two losses) ago, and have been very inconsistent all season. The Central win was probably their most complete game, while losses to Lafayette & Scott County, and close wins over Tates Creek, Fern Creek, and Dunbar cast doubt on them. Central has a couple of quality wins in beating #10 Shelby County & #16 DuPont Manual, and have lost only to two top 10 opponents in Henry Clay & #6 John Hardin. So Central is 2-2 vs. the top 20, Henry Clay, 1-3. As I said, two methodologies against one another. Who do you rank higher, the consistent team that has a better record against top opponents, or the team that won the head to head. I'd tend to lean towards the latter, but you'll understand if I favor where the rankings came out.
Henry Clay played Warren Central two weeks ago, in Lexington, and won what was a competitive game. Since then, a case can be made that Warren Central has generally played better than Henry Clay.

Just because Henry Clay beat Warren Central two weeks ago in Lexington doesn't mean they're the better team now. In a rematch in a neutral setting, who's to say that the Dragons wouldn't or shouldn't be favored?

If you really want me to pick a team a two that should fall out than ill go with LexCath and DuPont Manual .Both these teams should have to work there way back in and in my book they have been given a free pass early.But like i said this week should tell a lot so well see.
LexCath's two early losses were when they were without some key players because of football. Don't the Knights deserve the benefit of the doubt because of that, especially given that they played Brentwood Academy close? The same Brentwood Academy that pounded South Laurel, the defending state champion and #1 ranked team.

LexCath's two early losses were when they were without some key players because of football. Don't the Knights deserve the benefit of the doubt because of that, especially given that they played Brentwood Academy close? The same Brentwood Academy that pounded South Laurel, the defending state champion and #1 ranked team.

This coming week should be more telling and start sorting things out going into region play. :thumb:

Henry Clay played Warren Central two weeks ago, in Lexington, and won what was a competitive game. Since then, a case can be made that Warren Central has generally played better than Henry Clay.

Just because Henry Clay beat Warren Central two weeks ago in Lexington doesn't mean they're the better team now. In a rematch in a neutral setting, who's to say that the Dragons wouldn't or shouldn't be favored?

Are you sure Henry Clay and Warren Central didn't play in a neutral setting already? :sssh:

Are you sure Henry Clay and Warren Central didn't play in a neutral setting already? :sssh:

Yeah, Warren Central playing Henry Clay at Lexington Catholic sure is neutral. Call me the next time one team has more than a 15 minute trip to the game.

Henry Clay to LexCath

Total Est. Time: 12 minutes Total Est. Distance: 8.45 miles

Yeah, Warren Central playing Henry Clay at Lexington Catholic sure is neutral. Call me the next time one team has more than a 15 minute trip to the game.

Henry Clay to LexCath

Total Est. Time: 12 minutes Total Est. Distance: 8.45 miles

Travel time was the only advantage for HC. Certainly the crowd didn't favor either team.

Is there a team from east of I-75 worthy of a top-20 ranking? If so, make your case.

South Laurel....won the state title last year; have most of that team back.

Morgan County....have an 8-0 record.

Mason County....played the #1 team, SL, to the wire, actually led most of the way.

Don't believe I need to make a case for Pendleton Cty. They continue to take on all comers and have done pretty well with only one in-state loss to South Laurel and their other loss to St Louis Vashon.

And that loss to South Laurel was their 5th straight day away from home with 4 consecutive nights staying in a hotel while South Laurel was getting some good home cooking and rest in their own beds.

Pendleton had traveled to Pikeville on Saturday to play Vashon, stayed overnight in Pikeville and headed to London on Sunday.

Anyone who has spent alot of time in hotels, it wears you out, just lounging around in the hotel. Nothing like staying at home.