December 1, 201114 yr By the same token, it is the single most expressive word in the English language, and the most versatile as well in terms of ways it can be used. I knew there was a reason I liked it so much.... I'm kidding, but not really. :lol:
December 1, 201114 yr 9th grader I give 10 but during his season 9:30, but he stays up asking questions about life past that time. (he thinks me & Mama are stupid) On the facebook issue I have defriended several due to their language, I can see it with folks in their 20s/30s but my age c'mon. And the ladies use the F-Word more than guys! :idunno: :confused:Not sure on your exact age but I believe it to be similar to my Dad's. I always think of this quote from the Christmas Story in regards to my Dad's use of profanity. Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master. My Dad is a true virtuoso in the art of swearing. I for one am quite proud to have learned the craft from such an experienced and skilled hand.
December 1, 201114 yr Yes, my children. Each year I let them stay up a little later but right now bed time is 930pm. One is in the 9th grade and one the 8th grade. To each his own. I just don't see the time this was posted as being an issue. My brothers and I had bedtimes thru 8th grade. Once we got to high school, our parents said we could go to bed when we wanted, but they weren't making sure we were up or made it to school on time anymore. None of us ever had a tardy or missed school from oversleeping. All were top 5 in our graduating classes, so it obviously didn't hurt us academically and I can't recall a single time any of us were in bed before 11:30.
December 1, 201114 yr I dated a girl after my divorce that was stunning in her looks. She was a bling date (yep to go out with me she has to be) and I knew it was a one time date. But I could make her laugh and she laughed a lot. But she talked like a railroader from the 60s. The F word was used by her thru out any conversation. We dated for several months and she would come to my ball games and watch. It was a Church game this time. And I had a good game 5-5 and turn several double plays. After the game all the church folks/team mates came up to me as she did, and were saying some nice thing, it came for her to speak, "Boy, you sure did a great job, I can't believe you are this good" Now, just add a bunch of her favorite word in that expression, in front of everyone. I also was rasing two small sons, and had to let her go. She could have worked for Victoria Secret. And she called me the night before I married Mama to wish me luck, so she was also a very sweet person, but man she could use some words.
December 1, 201114 yr Yes, my children. Each year I let them stay up a little later but right now bed time is 930pm. One is in the 9th grade and one the 8th grade. I'm big on making sure they get enough sleep.
December 1, 201114 yr ^Sleep has no impact on grades (at least not in the high school ranks). It all has to do with dedication and determination.
December 1, 201114 yr ^Sleep has no impact on grades (at least not in the high school ranks). It all has to do with dedication and determination. We'll disagree. A kid going to school tired is not a good recipe for success.
December 1, 201114 yr I've never met a kid that didn't go to school tired. Something about waking up at the crack of dawn makes one tired, regardless of how much sleep they get IMO.
December 1, 201114 yr On previous FB threads I have gotten on my soapbox about policing FB so kids won't make comments that they may not want future employers or teachers or colleges to see. This point needs to be made clear. Anything that gets posted on facebook today is the same as saying it to a college recruiter or possible employer. They all check facebook now.
December 1, 201114 yr ^And they can't see it if you have your profile set to private unless they're your friends.
December 2, 201114 yr This point needs to be made clear. Anything that gets posted on facebook today is the same as saying it to a college recruiter or possible employer. They all check facebook now. Agreed. Which us why I police my kids fb accounts.
December 3, 201114 yr Ditto. However, I do get upset when I hear people using it loudly in a public place like a restaurant where sensitive ears may be around. My wife had to talk me out of walking over to a table in Boston last summer. I confronted a guy at a restaurant in Clarksville. He was talking about sexual acts that he did on his girlfriend. It was a table full of soldiers, women and men. I told him I didn't appreciate it at all. He got smart and I told him to either shut his mouth or lets go outside. Thank goodness he apologized after looking over and seeing my 8 year old daughter. It really shocked me that people would do that in front of so many people.
December 5, 201114 yr I have four siblings that are 10+ years younger than me and thus a lot of the social media monitoring has fell on my lap. I tend to go the Clyde route when these situations arise. Three of the four siblings have Facebook and by their Mother's rule each of them had to add me as their first friend if they wanted a profile. The family rat? haha jk
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.