Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The things you see on Facebook (Boone/Ryle)

Featured Replies

Who is it said in front of? If it was just in front of me and not TO ME then we just have a calm conversation. If it's in front of grandma/mom/neighbors then we've got ourselves an issue.

 

My point is that I subscribe to the "kids will be kids" thinking to an extent. Cursing just doesn't get me wound up. Heck, they learned it from me.

 

I fully realize my style isn't for everyone. It's worked for me though.

 

 

So if he says it in front of you, or post it on Facebook, and you have no problem with it, then what would make him think it's wrong to say in front of anyone else?

  • Replies 77
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What disappoints me is the lack of parental oversight on Facebook.

 

I completely agree with you. I've always told my kids that whatever they do, whether it is their general behaviour, putting on an athletic uniform, and certainly concerning online behavior, they are representing themselves, their family, and their school.

 

Comments like these don't make anyone look very good.

 

 

Plus, my Dad always told me not to put anything in writing that you weren't willing to say to someone's face....

So if he says it in front of you, or post it on Facebook, and you have no problem with it, then what would make him think it's wrong to say in front of anyone else?

 

For me, my son who is 15 knows that he and I can have private conversations that are very different than "public" conversations or "public" postings, i.e. Facebook. He knows the difference big time.

For me, my son who is 15 knows that he and I can have private conversations that are very different than "public" conversations or "public" postings, i.e. Facebook. He knows the difference big time.

 

 

Never have understood the need to use the word.

So if he says it in front of you, or post it on Facebook, and you have no problem with it, then what would make him think it's wrong to say in front of anyone else?

 

 

Every kid knows or learns their boundaries/guidelines. You didn't know as a kid what you could get away with with mom vs dad? I did. My kids do. My wife and I are not robots and we have different beliefs as to what warrants punishment and what doesn't. My kids have learned that over the years as all kids do.

 

I fully realize that I do things differently than many and I know that I will handle this one differently than you. That's cool. I'd never say you were too strict or wrong. I don't know your kids. I just know what works for my kids and what doesn't. If my kids were your kids age and said anything like that they'd be in big trouble. They aren't so my answers are based upon them being high school age and above.

Never have understood the need to use the word.
It's just a word. I try not to offend, but if I'm around people it doesn't offend I'll use it.
For me, my son who is 15 knows that he and I can have private conversations that are very different than "public" conversations or "public" postings, i.e. Facebook. He knows the difference big time.

 

Agreed. He learns what is acceptable and what is not. He can tell you you're putting on weight but he certainly can't get away with that with his mom. Kids know.

Never have understood the need to use the word.

 

Technically, there is no "need" for a lot of words and this one is definitely one.

Has anyone ever met a high school student that actually was in bed by 10 PM before? Anyone? It's rare to find those that are in bed before midnight, let alone the time my mid-50's Dad goes to sleep. :lol:

It's just a word. I try not to offend, but if I'm around people it doesn't offend I'll use it.

 

Agreed. :thumb:

Has anyone ever met a high school student that actually was in bed by 10 PM before? Anyone? It's rare to find those that are in bed before midnight, let alone the time my mid-50's Dad goes to sleep. :lol:

 

I disagree. All of my 3 (now out of high school) went to bed early. Not by rule. They just did.

It's just a word. I try not to offend, but if I'm around people it doesn't offend I'll use it.

 

Ditto.

 

However, I do get upset when I hear people using it loudly in a public place like a restaurant where sensitive ears may be around. My wife had to talk me out of walking over to a table in Boston last summer.

  • Author
Has anyone ever met a high school student that actually was in bed by 10 PM before? Anyone? It's rare to find those that are in bed before midnight, let alone the time my mid-50's Dad goes to sleep. :lol:

 

Yes, my children.

 

Each year I let them stay up a little later but right now bed time is 930pm. One is in the 9th grade and one the 8th grade.

9th grader I give 10 but during his season 9:30, but he stays up asking questions about life past that time. (he thinks me & Mama are stupid) On the facebook issue I have defriended several due to their language, I can see it with folks in their 20s/30s but my age c'mon. And the ladies use the F-Word more than guys! :idunno: :confused:

Technically, there is no "need" for a lot of words and this one is definitely one.

 

By the same token, it is the single most expressive word in the English language, and the most versatile as well in terms of ways it can be used.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.