Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Hard Decision...

Featured Replies

Alright BGP friends....the RockPride's are looking for some prayers and guidance. A member of our family, Sterling (9.5 year old Weimeraner) is struggling through an issue that we can't entirely put our finger on. We are dealing with him bleeding out of his left nostril for the last 7 months. At first, it was very random. So much so, when we took him to the vet, we thought he might have a foreign object in it, that was making this happen. As we fast forward, with multiple vet and emergency animal hospital visits, he is now bleeding at almost a constant level. Today, we spoke to his vet, and he, essentially, said that it may be just that time. We're at a crossroads. Sterling is a huge part of our lives, and the only pet our family (as it stands) has ever known.... What are we to do? We have been advised that it's time to allow him to, again, be without pain and discomfort. We are asking for your prayers and guidance as we come to a decision we never hoped we'd have to make. I am asking for insight from you all, as we move forward.

  • Replies 34
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I can remember when I was younger in my family and we had two situations. We had a cat and a dog that we got at the same time. One lived close to ten years old and the other lived two years longer. When my parents took the cat to the vet, they said it was about time and they decided to bring her home. She lived between another month or two and died, but watched her get much worst over the time. When the vet said it about the dog, it was a similar scenario and they put him to sleep the same day.

 

It is not easy either way, but from what I remember from how I felt, as well as watching my family, I believe that it was easier putting the dog to sleep and not watching it suffer any more. Regardless of the situation, it is not easy either way, especially when you have pets for as long of a time as you do because they do become part of the family. I can't tell you what to do, just thought I would provide things that I knew of from personal experience with it. I know it is a hard decision, but just think and pray about it. Sorry again to hear about Sterling.

We had a wonderful dog for 14 years. She was the sweetest and most loving thing ever. She developed some internal problems that turned out to be cancer and we had to make the decision to have the vet not wake her up from surgery. We didn't have time to really say goodbye, but it was the right decision. We could have probably kept her another month or two but it would have been miserable for her and we just couldn't bear seeing her suffer any more. I can tell you it was the hardest thing we have ever done. That was two years ago and I still sometimes get a lump in my throat when we talk about her.

 

After it was over, I picked her body up from the vet so that we could bury her on our land. That seemed to really help our kids because they could say goodbye and they put things in there with her. They helped with the burial and I think it gave them some closure. They still go to her grave and visit her. It may sound silly to some, but that is what worked for us.

 

Good luck RP with your decision, it will be a hard one either way. I pray whatever you decide, that you will be able to find a balance between what is best for Sterling and what your heart wants.

Rockpride, my heart is just breaking, because I know how I would feel if we were discussing my Lucky. I will say that I hope I have the strength and selflessness to let Lucky go when the time comes that the decision must be made. I am definitely praying for you. Be strong and do what is humane for Sterling. I'm really, really sorry that you, and especially your kids, have to go through this.

I agree that this is a hard decision I had to bury two cats over the summer that we had for 18 years difficult task in 90 degree weather .

I feel for you Rockpride. Every dog lover dreads this time. I'm guessing you've probably checked on multiple options, but have you tried different vets to see if someone else might figure it out?

 

Is the dog in pain with the bleeding or does it just happen?

 

Personally, I feel like if the dog is in pain and you've exhausted all possibility of fixing the problem, the choice is obvious. Doesn't make it any easier, IMO, though. We had a dog that came to our house as a stray when I was in 4th or 5th grade and was a part of our family until my last year of college. He eventually got fluid around his heart and had trouble breathing. It got to the point that he could hardly breathe if he laid down, so he'd try to stand a lot. That's when our decision was made.

 

I love dogs. But this is the downside of owning one. As a dog owner, you know you have to deal with this at some point.

My next door neighbor has at least 3 dogs buried in a corner of her back yard . She had them buried in infant caskets and hired a grave digger from a local cemetery ( Evergreen in Southgate ) to dig the graves and she hired a local photographer to take pictures of them in the caskets before they were buried . She has tombstones for each one and twinkle lights strung on them which she keeps lit day and night . She also decorates the graves according to the holiday season .

RP, I'm so sorry you're facing this time of crisis. It's one of the hardest things you'll ever have to do, but here eventually comes a time when we have to express our love for our pets by doing what's best for them, despite our own desire to keep them. I will pray for your dog's health and your family's peace.

So sorry to hear this, praying that the Vet can find the reasons and also asking for a comfort for your family if they can't.

RP I know that this is a difficult decision under any circumstances especially when you have had the pet for so long . Best of luck in whatever decision that you make .

My next door neighbor has at least 3 dogs buried in a corner of her back yard . She had them buried in infant caskets and hired a grave digger from a local cemetery ( Evergreen in Southgate ) to dig the graves and she hired a local photographer to take pictures of them in the caskets before they were buried . She has tombstones for each one and twinkle lights strung on them which she keeps lit day and night . She also decorates the graves according to the holiday season .
When her husband died last year she cremated him .

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. I recently lost a close pet after 11 years. Although the decision was not an easy one it was the right choice. Your family will be in my prayers.

  • Author

At this point it's hard to tell if he's in pain. The "blockage" clearly bothers him.....he paws at his nose constantly...and the "sneezing" thing is all day long....We have seen his vet and the emergency vet. I imagine we could go see another vet or two.....but I just am not sure.

So sorry RP. Our Jack Russell is 17 years and starting to struggle. Thoughts are with you and your family. Hoping for improvement soon.

  • Author

17? How awesome....going in, we knew his life expectancy was about 10-12 years....you just have a hard time dealing with it, now, at 10 years.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.