October 7, 201115 yr UK released a statement today that said the Lexington Herald-Leader can no longer interview Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. Statement from UK on Michael Kidd Gilchrist After a recent interview session with UK men’s basketball player Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, the Lexington Herald-Leader took the liberty of rewriting a question from the transcript in a way that we feel sensationalizes the story and was unfair to Michael and his family. While the Herald-Leader thought their actions warranted a clarification, the newspaper has not issued a public apology to Michael or his family. Because it is our responsibility and duty to protect our student athletes and we feel an apology from the Lexington Herald-Leader was necessary, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist will no longer be available for interviews with the Herald-Leader.
October 7, 201115 yr Author In the actual interview, Jerry Tipton asked: Question: "My father died when I was 2 years old. So that grabbed my attention. How did that affect you?" Answer: "It wasn’t just me. It was me and my mom. She didn’t know what to do. We had my grandma, too. My uncle Darrin (Kidd) was there, too. I want to play this game for him. That’s how it was." When the interview appeared in the actual newspaper and online, it said this: Question: Your father died of multiple gunshot wounds when you were 2 years old. How did that affect you? Answer: It wasn’t just me. It was me and my mom. She didn’t know what to do. We had my grandma, too. My uncle Darrin (Kidd) was there, too. I want to play this game for him. That’s how it was. That's a pretty big no-no, IMO.
October 7, 201115 yr Be okay with me if they stopped letting Tipton get any where around the program, period.
October 7, 201115 yr Be okay with me if they stopped letting Tipton get any where around the program, period. I'm not sure this was Tipton that changed it though is the thing, it might have been an editor.
October 7, 201115 yr I don't blame UK at all. Looks like sensationalism to me. I wouldn't blame UK if they didn't let the Herald Leader interview any of the team. Really not cool.
October 7, 201115 yr I don't blame UK at all. Looks like sensationalism to me. I wouldn't blame UK if they didn't let the Herald Leader interview any of the team. Really not cool. Agree, Glad UK took the stand and is protecting its players. I wouldn't expect anything less....
October 7, 201115 yr In the actual interview, Jerry Tipton asked: Question: "My father died when I was 2 years old. So that grabbed my attention. How did that affect you?" Answer: "It wasn’t just me. It was me and my mom. She didn’t know what to do. We had my grandma, too. My uncle Darrin (Kidd) was there, too. I want to play this game for him. That’s how it was." When the interview appeared in the actual newspaper and online, it said this: Question: Your father died of multiple gunshot wounds when you were 2 years old. How did that affect you? Answer: It wasn’t just me. It was me and my mom. She didn’t know what to do. We had my grandma, too. My uncle Darrin (Kidd) was there, too. I want to play this game for him. That’s how it was. That's a pretty big no-no, IMO. Question: Was this thing about his father not widely known? If it was, which seems likely, wording it in print that way does two things: A) Adds context for the readers and B) Serves to make sure the focus of the piece is on the interviewee, not the interviewer.
October 7, 201115 yr Agree, Glad UK took the stand and is protecting its players. I wouldn't expect anything less.... It's less about protecting the players than it is about controlling the message. Same thing as the recent heavy-handed incident with the Kernel.
October 7, 201115 yr Question: Was this thing about his father not widely known? If it was, which seems likely, wording it in print that way does two things: A) Adds context for the readers and B) Serves to make sure the focus of the piece is on the interviewee, not the interviewer. Me personally, I had no idea his father was dead. Right or wrong, I will admit that my outlook on his father's death changed when it went from 'father died' to 'father died of multiple gunshot wounds'.
October 7, 201115 yr It's less about protecting the players than it is about controlling the message. Same thing as the recent heavy-handed incident with the Kernel. I kind of agree. The incident with the Kernel left a bad taste in my mouth. Especially since I used to write for the Kernel. I think this particular situation allows UK to protect the players(or at least look like they are protecting the players) and at the same time control the message. I won't speculate what their intent is but given their recent track record I understand the point you are making. I think this is a win-win situation for UK as far as getting what they want from this situation. They won't look bad in the public eye. I'd be interested in seeing if the Kernel has a response to this.
October 7, 201115 yr Author As someone who manages to get into these media opportunities and games, I have to side with UK on most of this. I'm very much admitting that I'm not even a journalism major, but I know the rules and I know what is frowned upon.
October 7, 201115 yr Be okay with me if they stopped letting Tipton get any where around the program, period. :thumb:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.