Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bozich: "Cal has a bad case of Pitino Envy"

Featured Replies

Note a few years ago...I can remember their being a lot of Louisville fans in the 80's when U Of L had the dominant program and Crum was playing an exciting style...the 90's saw some of those fans change over when UK was on their role...Early 2000's with Pitino U of L...I would be willing today's numbers sway big time to UK.
"Big time?"

 

No.

 

Who you root for just doesn't have enough mutability that there would be some sort of unbelievable seismic shift in the, what, four years since that poll. Even if there are more UK fans and fewer Louisville fans now than then (a point I am not conceding, but instead accepting as a premise for an argument I will still win) for your laughable number of 100,000 Louisville fans to work, in Jefferson County alone UK fans would have to outnumber UofL fans at least 6 to 1, and there would be no Louisville fans in the rest of the state.

 

I can assure you, both anecdotally (I live in Louisville, I see more Cards fans and it isn't even close) and with evidence (UK can't even sell out their one game in Louisville a year) that this is not the case.

  • Replies 66
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Big time?"

 

No.

 

Who you root for just doesn't have enough mutability that there would be some sort of unbelievable seismic shift in the, what, four years since that poll. Even if there are more UK fans and fewer Louisville fans now than then (a point I am not conceding, but instead accepting as a premise for an argument I will still win) for your laughable number of 100,000 Louisville fans to work, in Jefferson County alone UK fans would have to outnumber UofL fans at least 6 to 1, and there would be no Louisville fans in the rest of the state.

 

I can assure you, both anecdotally (I live in Louisville, I see more Cards fans and it isn't even close) and with evidence (UK can't even sell out their one game in Louisville a year) that this is not the case.[/QUOTE]

 

I would bet UK would have 6 times more fans at the Yum center than U of L would have if playing a game in RUPP...you are right in some of your statements...I will double it to 200k....UK still owns the state!

 

I would bet UK would have 6 times more fans at the Yum center than U of L would have if playing a game in RUPP...you are right in some of your statements...I will double it to 200k....UK still owns the state!

 

You just don't know when to let a losing argument go, do you?

 

Again, there would have to be more UK fans in JUST LOUISVILLE for your new and revised number to work. There are not.

 

Does UK have more fans in this state? I don't think anyone is arguing that point. UK has about a 7 to 2 advantage statewide. If 3 million of our 4.3 million residents are UK fans, about 700,000 are Louisville fans. And that's actually rounding UK up and UofL down from those poll numbers.

 

You really are not going to come close on this.

 

For the record, it was just a few years ago that Louisville made Rupp arena "Freedom Hall East" in the NCAA tournament. That quote's from Oscar Combs. The attendance at Freedom Hall this year for UK-ND was 17K, which is 2K under capacity. This was for a near-by Big East opponent and part of a double-header with John Pelphery coaching the other team in the double header. Do you really think that Louisville couldn't bring 2800 (17000 divided by 6) fans to Rupp for a game against Tennessee? Please.

What does everyone think?

 

Over or Under 800k Louisville Basketball fans in the State?

For the record, it was just a few years ago that Louisville made Rupp arena "Freedom Hall East" in the NCAA tournament. That quote's from Oscar Combs. The attendance at Freedom Hall this year was 17K, which is 2K under capacity. This was for a near-by Big East opponent and part of a double-header with John Pelphery coaching the other team. Do you really think that Louisville couldn't bring 2800 (17000 divided by 6) fans to Rupp for a game against Tennessee? Please.

 

You got me on U of L playing at Rupp and drawing 2800...but I do believe if UK plays in the Yum center in the NCAA tournament, that will be a tough ticket to get!!!

Me too. It was an obvious dig at U of L. Sometimes we only see and hear what we want to. I can understand that a Cardinal might be well-practiced on that these days. :sssh:

 

:laugh::lol::thumb::clap:

What does everyone think?

 

Over or Under 800k Louisville Basketball fans in the State?

 

What is the population of the city of Louisville?

You just don't know when to let a losing argument go, do you?

 

Again, there would have to be more UK fans in JUST LOUISVILLE for your new and revised number to work. There are not.

 

Does UK have more fans in this state? I don't think anyone is arguing that point. UK has about a 7 to 2 advantage statewide. If 3 million of our 4.3 million residents are UK fans, about 700,000 are Louisville fans. And that's actually rounding UK up and UofL down from those poll numbers.

 

You really are not going to come close on this.

 

For the record, it was just a few years ago that Louisville made Rupp arena "Freedom Hall East" in the NCAA tournament. That quote's from Oscar Combs. The attendance at Freedom Hall this year for UK-ND was 17K, which is 2K under capacity. This was for a near-by Big East opponent and part of a double-header with John Pelphery coaching the other team in the double header. Do you really think that Louisville couldn't bring 2800 (17000 divided by 6) fans to Rupp for a game against Tennessee? Please.

So UL playing in Rupp for a NCAA tournament game versus UK playing in their yearly Freedom Hall game is your ammo? I totally agree with you on the numbers of fans for both statewide but your example is ridiculous. What would the attendance be at the Yum center if UK played a tournament game?
What does everyone think?

 

Over or Under 800k Louisville Basketball fans in the State?

 

Push? But if I had to say, under. But you just jumped quite a bit from your earlier estimates.

You got me on U of L playing at Rupp and drawing 2800...but I do believe if UK plays in the Yum center in the NCAA tournament, that will be a tough ticket to get!!!

 

Don't forget all chanting of "GO BIG BLUE" in Yum! after UK smacked the Cards around on New Year's Eve. That does not happen in Rupp when the shoe is on the other foot.

What would the attendance be at the Yum center if UK played a tournament game?

 

Full capacity...without question.

The whole point of what Cal said (and what Rick said fifteen years prior) is that statewide, Kentucky is BBN. Outside of one locale--one that bleeds its own fair share of blue--Kentucky is about UK. It's not like in Michigan, where you can see State fans & Michigan fans everywhere. Same with North Carolina, where you find UNC & Duke fans everywhere you go. In Kentucky, while I'm sure you can find UL fans in Eastern Kentucky, they're a very, very small percentage when compared with the whole.

 

Heck, Cal even said this much at his introductory press conference when he referred to the UK Basketball team as "The Commonwealth's Team." Why didn't that comment draw the ire of Rick Bozich & the UL faithful?

 

Was Cal digging at UL/Rick? You bet. Is the comment factual? You bet. I've yet to hear Rick refer to UL as "Camelot." And that's not a dig at UL on my part. They are one of the top 7-10 programs in the history of college basketball. In addition to a proud history they have an excellent coach, facilities & fan following. But all of that is comprised within one city, in which you can also find a very rabid shade of blue.

 

Statewide, the commonwealth is Kentucky. You can't say that about North Carolina or Michigan. And that's exactly what Cal was saying, while also jabbing at Rick.

I don't see how admitting that a third of the population in your city cheers for another team is a good thing.:idunno:

 

For comparison, and I have no idea what the numbers would look like, I'd be curious to see similar figures for other heated in-state rivals like Duke/UNC, Alabama/Auburn, or even Notre Dame/Indiana. Does anyone have a guess on how those fan bases break down?

I don't see how admitting that a third of the population in your city cheers for another team is a good thing.:idunno:

 

For comparison, and I have no idea what the numbers would look like, I'd be curious to see similar figures for other heated in-state rivals like Duke/UNC, Alabama/Auburn, or even Notre Dame/Indiana. Does anyone have a guess on how those fan bases break down?

 

Personally, those 1/3 don't exist to me. :D

I don't see how admitting that a third of the population in your city cheers for another team is a good thing.:idunno:

 

For comparison, and I have no idea what the numbers would look like, I'd be curious to see similar figures for other heated in-state rivals like Duke/UNC, Alabama/Auburn, or even Notre Dame/Indiana. Does anyone have a guess on how those fan bases break down?

Before that poll came out, it was considered gospel amongst UK fans that they outnumbered the Cards in Jefferson County. So it certainly seems like vindication for Louisville fans.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.