Why Do Some Adults Proudly Proclaim.....

Clyde

I work in the world of technology on the sales side so I talk to a lot of people all over.

I am always stunned when I'm talking to an adult who runs a business who proudly proclaims "I don't even know how to turn that thing on" or "I have no clue how to text" or "I have my secretary do my emails...."

It's 2011. That's like saying "I don't know how to tie my shoes."

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen! I'm an old fart, but realize the technology we have for our kids was not around when we were young. that's not a bad thing, that is progress. One has to embrace technology, my spouse is still slow to react and it drives me crazy.

I even heard of a new interview technique. The interviewer asks the candidate to borrow his cell phone just to see if he is up on technology or if he is still a dinosaur and refuses to adapt!

Companies are now starting to interview via Skype. Years ago I had a company actually send me a remote camera to hook up to my PC so we could see each other. I guarantee you there are people that would not take the interview because they are afraid of it.

Companies are now starting to interview via Skype. Years ago I had a company actually send me a remote camera to hook up to my PC so we could see each other. I guarantee you there are people that would not take the interview because they are afraid of it.

That is a very good idea.

Makes sense if there was absolutely no way to arrange a face-to-face. However, I would be much more comfortable interviewing someone across the table as opposed to via webcam.

I work in the world of technology on the sales side so I talk to a lot of people all over.

I am always stunned when I'm talking to an adult who runs a business who proudly proclaims "I don't even know how to turn that thing on" or "I have no clue how to text" or "I have my secretary do my emails...."

My dad used to be a pretty lousy texter. He's improved by leaps and bounds though. We're all proud of him.

Actually I'm not surprised AT ALL. Those of us who own businesses wear many hats. We are businessmen/women, salesmen/women, technicians, customer relations workers, personnel managers, dishwashers, etc, etc.... all in one person. Just because we don't measure up to YOUR standard of technical proficiency means absolutely nothing.

I know what's most important....How to run a successful business that is highly profitable. I couldn't care less..... repeat, couldn't care less if I understand the latest worthless gadget that's on the shelf.

No offense, but your post makes it obvious that you have never run a business of any significance. And for what it's worth, my secretary handles all that worthless techie crap you mentioned in your post while I manage the most important aspect of my business (my clients).:D

Actually I'm not surprised AT ALL. Those of us who own businesses wear many hats. We are businessmen/women, salesmen/women, technicians, customer relations workers, personnel managers, dishwashers, etc, etc.... all in one person. Just because we don't measure up to YOUR standard of technical proficiency means absolutely nothing.

I know what's most important....How to run a successful business that is highly profitable. I couldn't care less..... repeat, couldn't care less if I understand the latest worthless gadget that's on the shelf.

No offense, but your post makes it obvious that you have never run a business of any significance. And for what it's worth, my secretary handles all that worthless techie crap you mentioned in your post while I manage the most important aspect of my business (my clients).:D

Owning a business is absolutely no excuse for not knowing how to use email, text, or basic PC functionality.

Too many people working multiple jobs and numerous hours that do it daily.

The thing about most technology is that it is relatively simple if you will allow yourself to learn it. Too many people go in with the idea of "I can't do this," but in reality they mean "I don't want to know how to this." And it's amazing how just a little bit of practice can open up so many doors/opportunities for people.

Owning a business is absolutely no excuse for not knowing how to use email, text, or basic PC functionality.

Too many people working multiple jobs and numerous hours that do it daily.

LOL... I have a multitude of successful business owning clients who would beg to disagree. Success is about people, NOT technical proficiency. Period........

LOL... I have a multitude of successful business owning clients who would beg to disagree. Success is about people, NOT technical proficiency. Period........

Wjy are you changing the debate?

It is not a mutually exclusive issue.