Gregg Doyel on Tim Tebow and His Faith: Blasphemy

Clyde

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't he start at the end of the season, besides Big Ben and Tom Brady in the last 40 years name me QBs who won Superbowls in the first year as a full time starter? It takes time to learn to be a decent QB in the NFL. To be a great one....Dan Marino he was a great one and as a rookie went to the SB and only one.

So what will he think when he is the #2 or #3 ?

Don't know. My crystal ball is in the shop getting buffed. :D

Has Tebow given any time frame as to when he plans on ascending to the starting position permanently?

(Pun intended.)

The Tebow family ministry, in which Tim has played an active role, is dedicated to its "missionary work" in the Philippines. A lot of evangelizing to do in a country that's 85 percent Christian, Tim? Oh right, those Christians are almost entirely Roman Catholic, and they don't count as Christian. As long as Tebow's relationship with God involves his participation in ministries designed to rip people from the Holy Mother Church that has been at the heart of the Philippines for nearly 500 years, I will never support him or his brand of religion.

The Tebow family ministry, in which Tim has played an active role, is dedicated to its "missionary work" in the Philippines. A lot of evangelizing to do in a country that's 85 percent Christian, Tim? Oh right, those Christians are almost entirely Roman Catholic, and they don't count as Christian. As long as Tebow's relationship with God involves his participation in ministries designed to rip people from the Holy Mother Church that has been at the heart of the Philippines for nearly 500 years, I will never support him or his brand of religion.

Interesting. Is there any evidence of anti-Catholicism?

I did a quick search and I found a quote by Tebow's dad that said "in a country with 92M people 65M have never heard the gospel of Jesus Christ." Wikipedia says 90% of the country is Christian. Something doesn't jive there.

In 95% of cases I am vehemently against mission work to begin with. But his brand is particularly nasty.

Didn't he start at the end of the season, besides Big Ben and Tom Brady in the last 40 years name me QBs who won Superbowls in the first year as a full time starter? It takes time to learn to be a decent QB in the NFL. To be a great one....Dan Marino he was a great one and as a rookie went to the SB and only one.

Actually that was Marino's second year.

His rookie year he beat out Woodley and the Dolphins lost to the Seahawks in the playoffs. :thumb:

From the article:

But his confidence isn't only in himself. It's in his God. Tebow has basically said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "I'll be a starter in this league because God loves me that much."

I think Doyel is grasping here. If that is what he actually said I would fall more in like with the Jim Schue thinking here.... and it is something that does irk me when people really do respond that way.

Tim wears his spirituality on his sleeve. The media is obsessed with it because we are always looking for the first hypocritical action of people like Tim (eg. sex scandal, partying hard, etc.). To this point and hopefully onward Tebow has not provided much ammo. I have never gotten the sense from any of his remarks or quotes that he feels God will make him a starter. It is what many are looking for him to say to that we can find this hypocritical trait I am speaking of. Thus, Doyel had to come up with some kind of a loose, paraphrasing remark.

Tim wears his spirituality on his sleeve. The media is obsessed with it because we are always looking for the first hypocritical action of people like Tim (eg. sex scandal, partying hard, etc.). To this point and hopefully onward Tebow has not provided much ammo. I have never gotten the sense from any of his remarks or quotes that he feels God will make him a starter. It is what many are looking for him to say to that we can find this hypocritical trait I am speaking of. Thus, Doyel had to come up with some kind of a loose, paraphrasing remark.

While I haven't read every quote to come from the mouth of Tebow, this is kind of how I feel about it too. Perhaps he does think this, and perhaps there are quotes to verify it. While I can understand how the media obsession with Tebow can cause people to get sick of hearing his name (similar to their obsession with Favre), he seems to me to be a high-quality young man.

I agree with swamprat. I think Doyel is interjecting his own opinion/interpretation too much in this case. It's possible he's nailed what Tebow thinks, but I can't determine that for 100% certain from what he said. I can just as easily see it as Tebow trusts God's plan for him, and he intends to continue to work hard and let the chips fall. Maybe Tebow does think he's supposed to be a starting QB. If that doesn't turn out to be true, it wouldn't be the first time somebody learned they didn't have God's plan figured out after all. Doesn't make them a bad Christian or a blasphemer in my book.